electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Ken Stone designs - CGS
cgs64 vca - smd caps + dual transistors
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
smiley face

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:08 pm    Post subject: cgs64 vca - smd caps + dual transistors
Subject description: questions about the parts
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hi,
i'm putting together the plans for building the cgs64 vca. first of all, i'm planning to put it on perf board as it works out much cheaper per module. however have some questions re the smd caps and dual transistors. first the caps: i read in another thread the 1206 etc refers to the size, so that said would a through hole 100n cap work for the board i'm putting it on? and the transistors, there are a number of parts (2SC3381, 2SC1583, MAT02, SSM2210) which i can't find in the jaycar catalogue, while the lm394 comes up a s a voltage regulator and not a dual transistor. i guess the lm394 voltage regulator is not the same as the dual transistor? that being the case, what have others used in replacement of any of these parts if at all? or can someone tell me where to get these parts somewhere within australia?
andrewF

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi

any 100n caps will do the job. they are for decoupling the power supply so even el cheapo ceramics will be ok.

You want a LM394 dual transistor. Futurlec is cheapest, and cheap postage tho LONG delivery time. Maybe Elby sell them, Oz based company.

My last 2 CGS VCAs got stuck with hand-matched transistors, good enough for my cacophonies. There are a few ccts for matching on the net.
smiley face

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks andrew,
futurlec has a store in sydney, did you order from them? how long is long?
i'll have a look at the hand matching info if i can find some, cheers again..
Dego

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi!
Futurlec takes long if they don't have them item of your desire in storage. I waited over a month the last time. But when I have ordered before I only waited for a week or so.

The first two of my CGS64 I did not read the instructions carefully and I measured hFE instead of Ib when I matched my trannis....
andrewF

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think my orders from futurlec came from Thailand, quickest for me was 2 weeks, longest 6. You can pay an express postage rate and it will arrive much more quickly.
their .com.au website has less components than the plain .com version, but i guess it will be much quicker.
smiley face

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks all, futurlec.com.au has all parts for a number of modules i want to build at rock bottom prices. shippings not so bad, i can wait...
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Ken Stone designs - CGS
Jump to: