electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
How to make velocity affect the note volume
Page 1 of 1 [18 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
spiral

G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:01 pm    Post subject: How to make velocity affect the note volume
Subject description: I cant figure out how to make velocity show up from the keyboard or via a sequencer
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

#1) Hi! I obviously have just joined but have been reading for a few weeks and downloaded a few patches. Thanks for all of that. I just got a G2 this past week and am selling my Ti Polar and MEK because of it. In a 3 bears analogy it is "just right" for me. (btw if anyone wants to buy the MEK let me know.)

#2) I did do a search for velocity in the manual and via this board and found very little, and didnt get my question answered.

#3) How do i have the keyboard or sequencer velocity affect the volume (or filter or whatever) of the note played? I was trying to do it in the context of a sequencer but all the notes played at the same volume or not at all with the level w/ note sequencer. I feel like there is a module that you use to tell the velocity which parameter to affect, but i don't know how or what.

Is velocity always implied or do you have to explicitly route what parameter velocity affects? I have the G2 editor all hooked up on my Mac so if posting a patch is easier, by all means please do. Thank you.
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welcome aboard spiral.

Velocity is never implied, you'll have to route it yourself.

For keyboard velocity you'd use the keyboard (kbd) module from the "in/out" tab. Either the exp or the lin output, and that can be routed to the AM input of an envelope module, or to a filter pitch input etc. It's also possible to use the 2nd morph for this.

When you want velocity control in a sequence you'll have to run a parallel sequence for it that can be routed up just like the kbd module's velocity outs.

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BTW, all the sequencer types are more or less the same, except for some special purpose in/outs o fcourse, they're merely different views on the same model. Only the ControlSequencer is different, this really is a lookup table rather than a sequencer, but when you'd feed it a saw wave it would act like the usual linear sequencer.
spiral

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
For keyboard velocity you'd use the keyboard (kbd) module from the "in/out" tab.
Ok. Thank you. This makes total sense. You know, i looked at that module but completely missed the umbrella "velocity" label above those lin/exp/release outputs. Crying or Very sad

Blue Hell wrote:
When you want velocity control in a sequence you'll have to run a parallel sequence for it that can be routed up just like the kbd module's velocity outs.
This is less clear to me. I hooked up a note sequencer and got the notes to play and gate correctly, then hooked up a level sequencer to the MIDI note velocity module ("note send") but nothing seemed to affect the note. Ill try to dig up the patch i was testing. So when using the sequence, since you arent using the keyboard (like your above solution), do you still use the "keyboard" module?
spiral

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
BTW, all the sequencer types are more or less the same, except for some special purpose in/outs o fcourse, they're merely different views on the same model. Only the ControlSequencer is different, this really is a lookup table rather than a sequencer, but when you'd feed it a saw wave it would act like the usual linear sequencer.
Yeah i noticed this. I thought it was cool how someone was using the level sequencer to actually control pitch. Pretty flexible!
ark

Audio files: 13
G2 patch files: 31

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No one has mentioned it so far, so I should say that you can also use the keyboard velocity to control a morph. That lets you map velocity to any knob or combination of knobs. See examples below.

Simple velocity-sensitive patch.pch2
 Description:
Here is a patch that explicitly uses a Keyboard module to control the overall patch level through the amplitude envelope's AM input.

Download
 Filename:  Simple velocity-sensitive patch.pch2
 Filesize:  950 Bytes
 Downloaded:  1285 Time(s)

Morph-based velocity-sensitive patch.pch2
 Description:
Here is a patch that uses the keyboard velocity to control the S (sustain level) of the ADSR envelope through a morph. It's harder to control sustain level from a Keyboard module because it's not directly adjustable, at least not with this particular env

Download
 Filename:  Morph-based velocity-sensitive patch.pch2
 Filesize:  932 Bytes
 Downloaded:  1312 Time(s)

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

spiral wrote:
So when using the sequence, since you arent using the keyboard (like your above solution), do you still use the "keyboard" module?

Well actually you could (which might be an advanced topic for a few more hours Wink ), but what I meant was to route the output of the velocity sequence into the AM input of the envelope. This may get a bit clicky, which you could solve by inserting a note/glide module to make the amplitude changes a bit slower.

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ark wrote:
No one has mentioned it so far

Now why does this give me the impression that I'm no one thinking

Wink

ark

Audio files: 13
G2 patch files: 31

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
ark wrote:
No one has mentioned it so far

Now why does this give me the impression that I'm no one thinking

Wink
Maybe because your comment was in the middle of a more general comment and I missed it?
spiral

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Any suggestions for the sequencer question i posted above? (thought maybe it got buried)

Thanks Jan and Andrew.
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

spiral wrote:
(thought maybe it got buried)

Wink

varice

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 54

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

spiral wrote:
Blue Hell wrote:
This is less clear to me. I hooked up a note sequencer and got the notes to play and gate correctly, then hooked up a level sequencer to the MIDI note velocity module ("note send") but nothing seemed to affect the note. Ill try to dig up the patch i was testing. So when using the sequence, since you arent using the keyboard (like your above solution), do you still use the "keyboard" module?

No, in this case you would typically route the level sequencer output to the AM (amplitude modulation) input of the envelope generator used for this voice.

The MIDI NoteSend module is normally used to send MIDI signals from a patch to other G2 slots or to the G2 MIDI out.

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmm, it's the bad reading season I guess ... Shocked
varice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
Hmm, it's the bad reading season I guess ... Shocked

Oops! I saw your first answer of seq/vel question and quoted it in my reply, but I also missed your second reply to the question! Well, maybe my third answer will be the charm. Smile

spiral

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey thanks to everyone for replies. I think i have it all sorted out now with your help! One other problem though (which is sorta related) which has more to do with the sequencers: i have 2 sequencers chained so that i have a 32 note sequence. but for some reason the second set of 16 notes doesnt seem to have the same filter or envelope values even though it is all the same oscillator. Im sure i made a dumb mistake or dont understand something. That is where you come into the equation. Razz Posting the troubled patch.
The yellow stacked sequencers are the ones that are misbehaving.

Thanks again for the velocity help. This stuff is really starting to make sense.

# seq harmony.pch2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  # seq harmony.pch2
 Filesize:  6.05 KB
 Downloaded:  1145 Time(s)

varice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

spiral wrote:
Hey thanks to everyone for replies. I think i have it all sorted out now with your help! One other problem though (which is sorta related) which has more to do with the sequencers: i have 2 sequencers chained so that i have a 32 note sequence. but for some reason the second set of 16 notes doesnt seem to have the same filter or envelope values even though it is all the same oscillator. Im sure i made a dumb mistake or dont understand something. That is where you come into the equation. Razz Posting the troubled patch.
The yellow stacked sequencers are the ones that are misbehaving.

Thanks again for the velocity help. This stuff is really starting to make sense.

The 1-16 seqs have the gate outputs set to gate mode, the 17-32 seqs have gate outputs set to trigger mode.

spiral

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
spiral wrote:
So when using the sequence, since you arent using the keyboard (like your above solution), do you still use the "keyboard" module?
[...] what I meant was to route the output of the velocity sequence into the AM input of the envelope. This may get a bit clicky, which you could solve by inserting a note/glide module to make the amplitude changes a bit slower.
Got it. I was also wondering about this. I hear this clicking and it is really annoying. What is it caused by? If i add a note/glide module, does it go between the level sequencer and the AM input? Or somewhere else.

varice wrote:
The 1-16 seqs have the gate outputs set to gate mode, the 17-32 seqs have gate outputs set to trigger mode.
Ah! Thank you.

Thanks again for all the replies.
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

spiral wrote:
What is it caused by?

Sudden amplitude jumps sound like clicks when they're not in sync with the waveform being amplitude modulated.

Quote:
If i add a note/glide module, does it go between the level sequencer and the AM input?

Yes that would be the right place. Experiment a bit with the time setting!

Page 1 of 1 [18 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: