electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Developers' Corner
my new (diy) modular plan
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
StoneRose

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:32 am    Post subject: my new (diy) modular plan Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hi everyone!

Currently i'm planning to build a mainly diy modular synth. A main difference between my attempt and others is to have a single 'basic' instrument with an integrated keyboard (49 keys) since i want to be able to move it around in one piece. I came up with an ms-20 like design (see attached pic). The modules planned are (from left to right):

key encoder: simply converts the key strokes into control voltages and gate + trigger pulses, also provides midi output (simply note on and note off)
2 * VCO's: standard sawtooth-based vco's, including doepfer-inspired temperature compensation
PolyAVR: a midi-controllable digital polyphonic synth module http://moads.100webspace.net. All parameters except waveform select is voltage controllable. This is a important module for my specific setup since i want to be able to use this instrument also for simple pads beside experimental sounds
signal mixer: an audio and cv mixer with the ability to invert the input signal for each channel
Filter: Yusynth's[url] http://yusynth.net/Modular/index.html [/url] minimoog filter clone
Envelope: An ADSR Envelope Generator, retriggerable
Signal Splitter: two 1 to 4 passive signal splitters
Envelope: another ADSR Envelope Generator
LFO: A Triagular wave based LFO, signal shapable to saw and ramp
VCA's: two simple vca's with linear CV response
Sample and Hold + Noise: a sample and hold module + White noise out

if you have any suggestion for adding/removing, changing modules the let me know.
I have diy experince but no experience with modulars..

modules_total_2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  463.76 KB
 Viewed:  399 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

modules_total_2.jpg

doctorvague

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: my new (diy) modular plan Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You might want to post in the DIY section rather than here.

Cheers,

Phil
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: my new (diy) modular plan Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

doctorvague wrote:
You might want to post in the DIY section rather than here.

Seemed like a good idea, I moved the post there ... erm ... here.

andrewF

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

maybe a 2nd filter or waveshaper would be useful

have fun!!
cthulu

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: my new (diy) modular plan Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

StoneRose wrote:
hi everyone!

Currently i'm planning to build a mainly diy modular synth. A main difference between my attempt and others is to have a single 'basic' instrument with an integrated keyboard (49 keys) since i want to be able to move it around in one piece. I came up with an ms-20 like design (see attached pic). The modules planned are (from left to right):

The MS-20 is my favourite modular ever. I had a Doepfer and there was some things that annoyed me about it.
3.5mm contacts... the cable connectors and the cliff females didn't seem to be matched so some functions would
just be more or less glitchy and there wasn't any idea to mod it with normalising the contacts... which is the
no.1 biggest advantage with the MS-20... you can patch the hell out of it, but you don't have to

Quote:
key encoder: simply converts the key strokes into control voltages and gate + trigger pulses, also provides midi output (simply note on and note off)

Don't forget a S/H. You need one integrated with the key encoder. ( I hope I don't overexplain things ( I'm
not an expert myself Wink )).

Quote:
2 * VCO's: standard sawtooth-based vco's, including doepfer-inspired temperature compensation

I would look into the cmos chips. I would definitely have an XOR "ring modulator" like the MS-20 or actually
a whole CD4070 quad XOR and have some hardwired to the VCO's and LFO's and some patch only...

Quote:
PolyAVR: a midi-controllable digital polyphonic synth module http://moads.100webspace.net. All parameters except waveform select is voltage controllable. This is a important module for my specific setup since i want to be able to use this instrument also for simple pads beside experimental sounds

Wow! I'll look into this too...

Quote:
LFO: A Triagular wave based LFO, signal shapable to saw and ramp

The one on the MS-10 is a quick build but unfortunately it doesn't sweep over enough range. Chanses
are you'll upgrade pretty soon if you choose it anyway

VCA's: two simple vca's with linear CV response
Quote:
Sample and Hold + Noise: a sample and hold module + White noise out

I don't know about you but to me the most fun with a modular is using sample and hold circuits for
downsampling/analog rate reducing. Hours and hours just disappear. Make sure your S/H go up to audiorange Very Happy

oskar
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Developers' Corner
Jump to: