electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Mosc - Do you have time to make this happen?
Page 1 of 1 [24 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Hyde

G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:01 am    Post subject: Mosc - Do you have time to make this happen? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Back in the day - us Nord users would be able to download the entire user-submitted patches as an .zip or .sit file. It was kept fairly up-to-date. I still have to download EACH one based on the date submitted. We need them zipped up into an archive that is kept up-to-date monthly or something. Hard to believe that back then there were tens of thousands and now there are only a few hundred at best - like all those guys who submitted patches frequently never bought the new gear. But for those of us who DO have it - it would be nice for us to grab an all-encompasing updated archive.

Let me/us here know. Thanks.
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, it could be done... you are thinking about the pathes uploaded to this forum?
Would the patches have to be sorted first? By type, authour etc etc? What kind of information is supposed to go with every single patch file?

This can be done, but I have to look into this with Howard first.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Mosc - Do you have time to make this happen? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hyde wrote:
ike all those guys who submitted patches frequently never bought the new gear.

Most did buy the new gear I think, but some of the heavy patchers were beta testers (and might still be) and it's not much use to post patches made with beta versions as they might not work on the regular software. Besides, Clavia doesn't want such patches to be sent around.

Don't forget that the Classic has been arounf for five years, and things didn't go that fast either with the Classic at first. The quality of the G2 patches posted now is much higher I think than what was posted for the Classic in its early days.

The zip idea is a good idea and it would be nice when the NM list patches could be included as well. When I let myself go I'd like to see the patches bundled by author in a directory tree. I'd think its ok to have patches and performances mixed, but Classic and G2 stuff should be in separate zips I think.

Apart from the one or two large zip files (eventualy it will be large) a separate smaller zip of recent patches might be nice for people with slow links.

Jan.
jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
I'd like to see the patches bundled by author i

Agreed. Especially since the G2 can sort through the various categories itself now. Though, this might still be an undertaking when the library does grow to a very large size. Maybe this is where we make a request to Clavia to put the same sorting mechanism in the patch browser that's inside the editor.
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey... listen... does this mean that author name already is inside the file.. a tag..? and the file is text only.. just with an ptch extension??
Hmm.. this means that we could throw together a shockwave app that does the sorting into folders.. hmm.. we could use this serverside before the stuffing
Are there any other descriptive tags in side the patch files? Theoretically the shockwave app could generate webpages too based on tags in side the files.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No, there are no tags in G2 patches other then the category the creator put the patch in. Classic patches have no tags at all.

And unfortunately the file format is binary (again for the G2, Classic patches are ASCII).

Although most text is readable still, I doubt that the category is available as readable text as there is a preset number of categories to select from. So I expect it to be some number somewhere, this is just a guess tho.

Jan.
jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What if everybody simple started (as habit) putting some tag in the text/notes field, such as [author:XXXX]. I know this doesn't effect current files, but it's probably good practice to start anyways. Could even come up with other tags...don't know what for, maybe "[desc:]" for a description that a file sorter could later pull out, or for keywords that go beyond what the category indicates. Then all info would be self-contained within each file, and no extraneous info would be needed. There's a lot of room for making a real database here.

Any hex/binary scan of the file presumably would still find the ASCII characters intact.
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 213
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey guys, the patches are in a database. That's why it makes sense to use the forum over the email list to post and archive patches.

It would be possible to write a php script to build the zip files on the fly. Just takes time to write the code. I'd like to just keep improving the G2 patch archive page and adding the feature to pick an individual author is high on the list. I would try to keep track of the files the user has downloaded so as to not download them twice.

What I'd like not to have happen is these files getting huge and tying up our servers' bandwidth. There are some files on the NM archive site that are hundreds of MB.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If these files are basically text they would compres well? Not? Hundreds of megs? We are talking gigs of uncompressed files?

Anyway, is there a meta info tagset in the g2 format files? If there is I could ask to my programmer buddy to make a local server app that sorts stuff. he just made some pretty advanced asset management system using shockwave for building CD-ROMs.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
If these files are basically text they would compres well? Not? Hundreds of megs? We are talking gigs of uncompressed files?

See : http://nm-archives.electro-music.com/010_NordModular/013_Patches_Zipped/

All patches zipped : 43.5 MByte, for something like 25.000 patches or about 125 MByte unzipped. G2 patches tend to be larger, especially performances., but they should zip pretty well. maybe even better than Classic patches.

Quote:
Anyway, is there a meta info tagset in the g2 format files?

Short answer : No.

Longer answer : Only the category is in it somewhere. Categories can be No Cat, Acoustic, Sequencer, Bass, Classic, Drum. Fanasy, FX, Lead, Organ, Pad, Piano, Synth, Audio In, User 1 or User 2.

But the patch format is not known, so efffecively this aint present either.

Jan.
jamos

Audio files: 4
G2 patch files: 41

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mosc is right. The biggest hindrance to getting the patch archives working is that so many contibutors refuse to use the archives.

Perhaps forbidding binary (and HTML!) content on the mailing list would be a step in the right direction.
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jamos wrote:
Mosc is right. The biggest hindrance to getting the patch archives working is that so many contibutors refuse to use the archives.

Perhaps forbidding binary (and HTML!) content on the mailing list would be a step in the right direction.

Whoa... I personally haven't got the courage to post that on the list. I got crucified there for suggesting the forum in the first place. Laughing

I have already make the case on the list that it is best to post patches and performances here. It has worked to some extent, but people are still posting patches there. Still, by far the most patches and performances are posted to the forum. I think this is because people are naturally seeing that it makes more sense.

If other people want to suggest to the email list that it makes sense to post patches to the forum, I of course would support it.

I would be very reluctant to ban binary attachments on the list. People should feel fee and be free to do what they wish. Making the point once is an while is something else.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Afro88

Audio files: 12
G2 patch files: 79

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Does it matter that some post on the mailing list? I had a look at the archives and all attachments are saved to: http://gladsome.com/pipermail/nord-modular/attachments/

Would it not be relatively simple to write a script to recursively scan inside this folder's subfolders for new .pch .prf .pch2 and .prf2 attachments every morning and add them to the patch archive? The could even be sorted by email address...

Then again I'm no coder, so I don't know how hard that would be.
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, it is possible, but the format of that archive is pretty primative. It could be done. The forum is much better because it references the discussion of the patches in the forum and keeps some sort of organiztion based on the forum the author chooses for posting the patch. For example, it's easy to find the leads in the g2patch archive. Also there is the experimental vs. completed categorization in the forum. The list just would have the patch file name and the email address of the author.

Personally, I don't have the time trying to develop a better archive for the email list. I know some users who keep their own patch archive from the email list using VB tools which are pretty good at scanning email archives. It's up to them if they want to post these archives.

BTW, that link doesn't work for me. Does it for you?

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That link returns a 403.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Afro88

Audio files: 12
G2 patch files: 79

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
That link returns a 403.

Sorry, it's not an actual link, it's just the directory. For example, from the post "[G2] Just one performance" by Petr Serkin:

-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: Tranq.prf2
Type: application/octet-stream
Size: 12918 bytes
Desc: not available
Url : http://gladsome.com/pipermail/nord-modular/attachments/20041012/e2c800d0/Tranq.obj

The public can download files stored in this folder if specifically linked (like the one above), but they can't actually browse the nord-modular/attachments/ folder. But I'm guessing Mosc can as he's the admin...?

Anyways, it was just a suggestion. I know you're busy Mosc, and I realise that the forum patches are already categorised. It is one (of probably many) solutions if people really need a .zip file containing all patches released on the forum and the email list.
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A bit OT,... but

Perhaps someone should suggest to Clavia that the G2 patch format should include a sensible set of meta tags. If the file is text anyway.. addding this should not be a big deal.. and this would allow for a lot of different third party takes on sorting and patch management.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr

Last edited by elektro80 on Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:37 am; edited 1 time in total
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I looked in that attachment directory, but it's a mess. The directory names make no logical sense and the patch files are stored in that .obj format that doesn't seem to load properly. The archive for mailman is pipermail which as far as I can tell is an abandoned program - no one is working on it and the documentation was never finished. It seems to me to be the weak link in the mailman program.

For me, it would be eaiser to parse the mail messages themselves and stash the attachments in some directories that are named appropriately. I know a list member that does this on his PC with Visual Basic and it works quite well. That's one thing people like about a list, they can organize the files themselves.

Maybe someday I'll get to look into this, but now time is precious.

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Justin did have some tools for extracting patches from the list and zipping them up, are those still available maybe ?

Jan.
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
If the dile is text anyway..

As said before, it's binary.

Jan.
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

UH... ok... then we would need a binary refinery..

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, binary. But, you can run the unix strings command and see that it is a G2 patch, and even what version of the G2 OS it is built for. But I'd never use that info in code for an application because Clavia wisely hasn't published the file specification, and they could change it at any time, thus breaking the application.
Hyde

G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just thought that even the ones on THIS site - experimental, finished and unfinished could be zipped up monthly...

Didn't know it was going to be this difficult. Never used to be with the old Modulars. On a number of sites you could dl the whole patch archive. If it's not possible or too time consuming - that's cool. It was just an idea Smile
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I sincerely appreciate the suggestions. Thank you.
Page 1 of 1 [24 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: