electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » electro-music.com » electro-music festivals
electro-music 2009 location
Page 4 of 7 [151 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
ark

Audio files: 13
G2 patch files: 31

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm a member of the board of directors of a small nonprofit organization that, among other things, runs two (mostly acoustic) musical events each year at the electro-music 2009 site. Would it be OK if I posted a pointer to the website for these events? It has pictures, and perhaps some of the electro-music readers might be interested in attending -- our next events are in April and October, so both of them would be before the electro-music weekend.
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ark wrote:
Would it be OK if I posted a pointer to the website for these events?

Sure, please do.

ark

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK... The organization is The Folk Project, which puts on about 100 events each year, mostly in northern New Jersey, and which include regularly scheduled and irregularly scheduled concerts, contra dances, house parties, storytelling festivals, and two weekend festivals each year, which we are currently holding at Star Lake Camp.

I expect to be coming to electro-music 2009.
kkissinger

Audio files: 42

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:57 pm    Post subject: Sounds great Howard! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Keep us posted. I am looking forward to this.
pyxl8r

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

egw wrote:
There are only three main rooms (dining, assembly, and lounge), compared to the four we have used in the past, which means that seminars and jams will have to share the lounge.

Count me (and likely the rest of the BS crew) IN! I think (as I look at Ark's photo links) that some of us will be drawn to some of the more-interesting OUTdoor areas in which to perform... I particularly like the "Cupola on the Hill" area. With a small generator or VERY long extension cords, I'm sure some of these alternative performance sites will be magnets for the more ambient performers (weather permitting). I like the idea of combining the scheduled stuff with lots more open jam opportunities, like "All circuit benders meet dockside on Sunday at 2pm to meet, trade tips, and jam!" Ah, the possibilities... who is going to get ANY sleep??!!! Wink

The idea of a 24/7 live-in environment will be more like the camp thing that Greg tried to put together a few years ago, and that'll make EM09 a BIG deal for all of us.

So, a big YAY to a TOTAL immersion weekend!!! Can't wait! -Ken

ark

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

pyxl8r wrote:
Count me (and likely the rest of the BS crew) IN! I think (as I look at Ark's photo links) that some of us will be drawn to some of the more-interesting OUTdoor areas in which to perform...

Also...Right next to the basketball court is a small structure with a roof. You can see it in some of the pictures. It has electricity.
shanemorris
Stream Operator

Audio files: 92

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ark wrote:
pyxl8r wrote:
Count me (and likely the rest of the BS crew) IN! I think (as I look at Ark's photo links) that some of us will be drawn to some of the more-interesting OUTdoor areas in which to perform...

Also...Right next to the basketball court is a small structure with a roof. You can see it in some of the pictures. It has electricity.

this is just getting better and better ... i think the electro-shed is going to get some usage then..... Laughing

im thinking about borrowing my neighbors Honda generator ... very small, portable, and quiet for the TIW Razz

laura woodswalker

Audio files: 18

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:

This is going to be something special.

It sounds like it!!! Why does October have to be so far away?? Laughing

I've never been to this event so I have a question. What do people do about musical instruments? Do they bring a big synth, stand, Amp, the whole rig? Do they bring something portable (banjo, kazoo)? Do you set up a space & have a bunch of amps people can plug into? (I really HATe moving an amp around.)

What are the jams like? I've been to folk events where everyone carries a guitar around & they just jump in on various jams. Can't really do that with big keyboards & electric instruments. Are they basically performances, or can anyone join?

I also wonder if anyone hosts workshops or places where people can learn. I haven't yet met anyone who could teach me something about synths & MIDI, except my son. Cool

I'd also like to learn lots of other things, like about light & electronics. Tell me all about what goes on!

Laura

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Have you watched the movie?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
laura woodswalker

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
Have you watched the movie?

Yeah!! It's awesome!
But is everyone at the festival a pro who brings 100 lbs of gear?

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

laura woodswalker wrote:
But is everyone at the festival a pro who brings 100 lbs of gear?

Laughing no some bring way more, so others can bring less ... at least that was the case in 2005. Some came just to enjoy as a listener, of which some then choose to be more active the year after ... you don't need to do anything, and you can do everything. And when you'd like to do something for which you can't bring the gear with you, people will be glad to help you out.

egw
Stream Operator

G2 patch files: 8

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Anyone can join in the jams, sometimes there is no one there, other times the room is full. They have ranged from acoustic drum circles to pure noise fest, with some structured sessions. We set up a PA with mixer in the jam room, so all you need to bring is your instrument, stand, and cables to connect to the mixer (20 ft recommended). If people want to have a session with a particular theme, we allocate a time slot in the schedule, so others that are interested can join.
BananaPlug

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
cables to connect to the mixer (20 ft recommended).

Is it too early to ask what kind of connectors the mixer wants?
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BananaPlug wrote:
Quote:
cables to connect to the mixer (20 ft recommended).

Is it too early to ask what kind of connectors the mixer wants?

bring them all Exclamation one of them will work Cool

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
egw
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, it's too early - since we rely on volunteers to bring the equipment we will use, we don't know what it will be yet. However, I think it's safe to say that any mixer we might use will accept 1/4" phono inputs, and XLR inputs for microphones.
egw
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

laura woodswalker wrote:

I also wonder if anyone hosts workshops or places where people can learn. I haven't yet met anyone who could teach me something about synths & MIDI, except my son. Cool
I'd also like to learn lots of other things, like about light & electronics. Tell me all about what goes on!
Laura

There are usually lots of seminars and demonstrations. Check the previous years to see some examples:
http://gregwaltzer.com/em/em.html
(click on "artists" or "program")

Aeolian Jazz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Might I suggest Kingsport again.

February 2009 saw a major new music festival (highly electronic-based) in Knoxville, Tn called Big Ears. Just to mention some of the electronic artists/composers there; Fennesz, Jon Hassell, Nagativland, Pauline Oliveros.

It would be great to build upon this growing emphasis on new music in the East Tennessee area.

Aeolian Jazz on Myspace
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Might I suggest Kingsport again.

Jazz,

Hi and welcome to the forum. I believe the location has already been worked out. Th elocation of EM 09 is in Northern New Jersey. Check back on the thread and check out the details. Cool

Unless I missed someting?

Bill
BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok guys I'm coming.

Do they still let Europeans into the States?

Do we have exact dates so I can book some flights?
Aeolian Jazz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

State Machine wrote:

Jazz,

Hi and welcome to the forum. I believe the location has already been worked out. Th elocation of EM 09 is in Northern New Jersey. Check back on the thread and check out the details. Cool

Unless I missed someting?

Bill

Oops; Typical noob mistake; Thanks so much!

Aeolian Jazz on Myspace
shanemorris
Stream Operator

Audio files: 92

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Aeolian Jazz wrote:

February 2009 saw a major new music festival (highly electronic-based) in Knoxville, Tn called Big Ears. Just to mention some of the electronic artists/composers there; Fennesz, Jon Hassell, Nagativland, Pauline Oliveros.

Big Ears sounds like a great festival! Laughing
Please consider posting events like that on the forum ... I would love to come to the next one. I am just one state over.

State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Oops; Typical noob mistake; Thanks so much!

Happens to the best of us my friend ... hope you can make it out !! Wink

Bill
Acoustic Interloper

Audio files: 89

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:
Ok guys I'm coming.

Do they still let Europeans into the States?

Do we have exact dates so I can book some flights?

Oh, goodie, the Man with the Bhang Lassie!

Every time I register for a U.S. domestic flight online they ask, Are You a Member of the European Union? (Why do we ask?) I've never looked, although, last I checked, you Brits weren't neither.

Greg just sent out this email:
Quote:
We are pleased to announce electro-music 2009(TM), the world's premiere
event for experimental electronic music.
This three day conference/music festival will be held at the Star Lake
Camp in Bloomingdale, New Jersey, October 29 - 31, 2009. The program
will include three full days of concerts, seminars, demonstrations, and
jam sessions. Now in it's fifth year, we expect this to be the biggest
and best electro-music event ever!

The scope of this festival is very broad, covering all aspects of
electro-music: experimental electronic music, circuit bending, computer
music, electro-jazz, modular synthesis, musique concrete, improvisation,
algorithmic composition, multi-media, visual art and much more. The
focus will be on participant involvement, sharing, community
development, audience education, and great music.

You can actively participate in electro-music 2009 by performing music
or visuals, giving a seminar, workshop, or demonstration, joining the
jam sessions, or by volunteering to help with various tasks. Please
visit the web site for instructions on how to participate:
http://event.electro-music.com/

Acoustic Interloper

Audio files: 89

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

laura woodswalker wrote:
I've never been to this event so I have a question. What do people do about musical instruments? Do they bring a big synth, stand, Amp, the whole rig? Do they bring something portable (banjo, kazoo)? Do you set up a space & have a bunch of amps people can plug into? (I really HATe moving an amp around.)

Bring whatever you feel like bringing. When it was within commuting distance outside Philly, I'd just bring a banjo on days that I wasn't officially performing/demoing, and I'd lug in the usual ton of cables + amperage pushers on the other days.

Hand drums are good. There's a drum circle Sunday morning. Rebecca Mercuri carries an ocarina. I carry a jaw harp at all times.

Last year one of the high points of the noise jam was a screaming woman whose screams were modulated by someone else's theremin. Bring your voice!

Edit: PS, you can catch 30 seconds of my banjo at the very end of the movie Mosc cites above. That's from 2006.

modulator_esp
Stream Operator

Audio files: 276
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've sent in my application Smile
Page 4 of 7 [151 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » electro-music.com » electro-music festivals
Jump to: