electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Ken Stone designs - CGS
CGS ASR parts questions
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Coriolis

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:44 am    Post subject: CGS ASR parts questions Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just finished building the ASR with a pcb from Ken, but didn't have the recommended grade caps for Cx. Instead, I used ceramic multilayer just for the heck of it. Also I forgot to match the 10k and 22k resistors.

Well, I figured I'd try it and see - and sofar nothing indicates performance problems. But then I'm not sure what to look for.
I like it as it is (but haven't used it much yet), but could could anyone here tell me what I might gain from using better caps and matched resistors?

Best,

C

Last edited by Coriolis on Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:22 am; edited 1 time in total
andrewF

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

the cx caps are part of S&H subcircuits, so better quality caps will hold the voltage longer with less leakage. If you are running the ASR at fast speeds, maybe you will never notice a difference. Try running it very slowly and how much leakage you get.

having matched resistors on the output buffers ensures you get the same voltage from each stage as the S&H outputs are switched thru the different outputs buffers.

The resistors act as voltage dividers and set the gain for each output section. If they are different values a 1V input may result in 1.1V from stage 1, 0.9v from stage 2 and 1.05V from stage 3 (just for example).
if you are using the 1V/oct standard, and care about tuning, this will make a big difference.

All that being said, one of my ASRs has ceramic caps and 5% resistors...i like things getting a bit awry
Coriolis

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Andrew!
I think I will live with these parts in my ASR for a while, and see if it makes a difference to me in the long run.

Edit: Oh - btw, I subbed a 741 opamp for the TL071 and it seems to be working fine FYI.

C

Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Ken Stone designs - CGS
Jump to: