electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » News... » Gear News
Ableton Live 8 released
Page 1 of 2 [30 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:02 am    Post subject: Ableton Live 8 released Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You know you have to have it.

http://www.ableton.com/
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

apparently it come bundled with Max/msp as standard? Shocked
IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What do you mean?
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Availability

Max for Live will be available later this year (2009). Pricing information is currently unavailable.
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

How about one of these as well:;

http://www.akaipro.com/apc40
Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
apparently it come bundled with Max/msp as standard? Shocked

Max For Live is just a kind of integration between Max and Live. I think you still need to buy a proper Max/MSP license if you want to develop your own Live addons. Still sounds pretty cool - I wish they did ChucK for Live though. Smile

/Stefan

BobTheDog

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Its actually going to be built into Live!

They have been working on this for a couple of years and it should be available soon.

If you already own MAX/MSP/Jitter then the cost will be lower.
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Have a look at the video at the top of this page http://www.ableton.com/extend
jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hopefully there's even more documentation on an API, then anything, including Pd, supercollider, or chuck can get direct access. I suppose one could always use rewire to communicate, also. Or, make your app a VST, but those are just unnecessary limitations!
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well the lemurites are looking forward to this, the Max stuff has access to the internal Live api so we can get to the internals using OSC.

Anything else supporting OSC could also do this.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I was given this info from Birmingham Digital Village. The guys there are good friends and on occasion I get some juicy notifications- like Live! 8. Very Happy This will really give Logic a run for it's money!
IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
Antimon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow! Better than I thought then. Smile

/Stefan

BobTheDog

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Unfortunately is an extra with cost, should be pretty interesting when it is available though. Also at reduced cost for existing max owners, hopefully massive reduced cost.

Live is a great product, for me it is a sketchpad for ideas, I find Logic immediately saps the creative juices even though it is a fantastic DAW.

Everyone just buy or try Live, NOW Twisted Evil
Mohoyoho

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Love Live. It's a big part of my live solo performances. Looking forward to 8.
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
http://cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck2
http://www.limitedwave.com/subterraneous/
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You don't have to wait Mark you can buy it now. I have it running here. Just go to there website, if you get the boxed version you can still download it from their site.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

"Buy it now"? Are you working for Ableton? Shocked Wink
Antimon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:
You don't have to wait Mark you can buy it now. I have it running here.

Impressions? I'm thinking about upgrading from 7 for the new Warp engine and the mallet instrument.

/Stefan

BobTheDog

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Antimon wrote:
BobTheDog wrote:
You don't have to wait Mark you can buy it now. I have it running here.

Impressions? I'm thinking about upgrading from 7 for the new Warp engine and the mallet instrument.

/Stefan

Well havnt played too much with the new features, here is what I think so far:

The new Warp engine is an improvement thats for sure, the complex pro mode gives very good results.

Beats mode is improved with transient loop and envelope controls for getting a little more control over drum loops.

Grouping/collapsing of tracks is a godsend to me.

Also the ability to access more than 128 plugin params, and also the ability to map only the params you are interested in is very useful.

Groove patterns are also pretty good as it the quantise audio for sloppy players like me.

At the moment the 7 to 8 upgrade doesnt seem as impressive as the 6 to 7 upgrade was but for me it is worth the cash just for the grouping and the new warp engine.

When max for live is released then version 8 will be an extremely good purchase.

Any other questions please ask.

Andy
Antimon

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Went ahead and upgraded a couple of weeks ago. Haven't explored all of the enhancemens, but I like Collision.

One thing though, I feel a greatly increased load on my OSX system when I have Live 8 running. For instance, as I am typing this there is a noticable lag from when I hit a key on the keyboard until I see a character appear in electro-music.com's text editor in Safari. Also, the dock animation is poorer, lower framerate and slower reaction. If this is a result of Live grabbing a firmer hold of system resources so that it may run effectively, that's great. I just wish it isn't due to internal bloating in Live.

Just to check, I started up Live 7 (still got it in my apps folder), and that didn't wheigh down the system noticeably at all. As soon as I turn off Live 8, this text editing becomes more enjoyable and the dock behaves as it should again. Anyone else see this? How is it on Windows?

/Stefan

ark

Audio files: 13
G2 patch files: 31

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Doesn't happen here.

If you hunt around the Live forum, you will see that someone has posted a Live set intended for testing how much music you can render on a given machine. You might want to compare performance between Live 7 and Live 8 on your machine.
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I also have not noticed this.

Live 8 does use a bit more cpu than 7 but I have not seen anything else slowing down.
jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It is 64bit mixing, now. That's twice the data to & from RAM, but shouldn't put a hamper on the things, just because of the fact that it's loaded without a song!
Antimon

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jksuperstar wrote:
It is 64bit mixing, now. That's twice the data to & from RAM, but shouldn't put a hamper on the things, just because of the fact that it's loaded without a song!

OK, I actually did all the tests with a song loaded, sorry for not being clear. It doesn't have to be playing though, but I guess that's because Live keeps running effects and stuff even though the stop button is pushed.

/Stefan

ambiencellist

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i upgraded from 6 to 8 on the foot of what was being offered ..

new warp engine and looper were my faves .

I think there's still issues with looper .. routing inputs to other audio tracks with effects and triggering the Looper play/record button causes increases in tempo to 999.00

but apart from that it's been very sweet ..

and audio at 999 bpm is a mad effect in itself Smile

have done one performance using it and it went without a hitch .. I didn't used the looper though Smile

the apc looks sooo sweet ... but to be honest I need foot control more

and can't wait for the MAX addition

Electrica

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:10 am    Post subject: Ableton Live 8 updated... Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

And now updated to 8.0.4 with improvements and bug fixes:

http://en.audiofanzine.com/general-sequencer/ableton/Live-8/news/a.play,n.4148.html
Page 1 of 2 [30 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » News... » Gear News
Jump to: