electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
  host / artist show at your time
today> Modulator ESP Adventures In Sound
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Multi Mono "Guitar" Mode on the G2
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
EdmundEagan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 7:13 am    Post subject: Multi Mono "Guitar" Mode on the G2 Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd like to play the G2 from a Continuum Fingerboard (http://www.hakenaudio.com). The Continuum outputs it's MIDI polyphony as with note having a new MIDI channel, so that independent pitch bend can be applied to each note separately. Other devices have called this type of MIDI operation "guitar" mode, because it's the way that guitar-to-MIDI convertors work, sending out each guitar string as an independent channel.

Is there a way to put the G2 into a multi mono "guitar" mode? the only way I've been able to figure this out is to create a performance, each voice in the performance the same patch, and give them sequential midi channels 1,2,3,4. The drag about this is it's a little clumsy to set up and more importanly it limits me to four voice polyphony.

egw
Stream Operator

Audio files: 18
G2 patch files: 8

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Haven't tried this, but you should be able to play more voices by using midi receive modules for different channels in the same patch. Keep the patch as mono, or else use the fx area. You would have to duplicate all of the sound generating modules though. Maybe you can fit two sounds in one slot this way, giving you a total of eight. If the sounds are simple enough, you could do more.

Would you like to post a review of the continuum fingerboard?
There was some discussion about it here a while back.
Looks very interesting.
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 213
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welcome EdmundEagan to the electro-music.com forum.

Wow, you have a Continuum, very cool.

I'm not sure why EGW suggest you put the MIDI receive modules in the FX area, but I guess it is to save resources since apparently the Continuum won't sweet multiple notes on a given channel until the previous ones are terminated.

Even then, a note can terminate (NOTEOFF) but still be sounding because of a long decay time. I have sometimes patched the output of an envelope follower to block out envelope triggers until the sound has totally faded out. You make end up doing that as well.

I have found MIDI modules in the Poly area work very logically. Once you experiment and get the hang of it, I bet you can come up with a way to use the Continuum to play a polyphonic synth.

I agree with EGW, it would be great to hear you experiences with the Continuum. Please consider posting a review on the Reviews forum.

I suspect that most of your patches will end up being performances to handle this complication.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The G2 does not seem to be designed for guitar controllers with 6 channel MIDI. You could as stated create elaborate performances that will respond to more than 4 channels, but with no pitch bend receive module, the whole reason for having 6 channels is sort of lost.
Maybe get two engines for 8 mono voices but this I think would also be a pain. I dont think I could recommend the G2 as a sound module for MIDI guitar.
EdmundEagan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey thanks for you people for responding so quickly! From your three responses it doesn't seem that I can do EXACTLY what I want to do with the Continuum and the G2. Maybe that can change with an OS update. What is the best way to lobby for a feature addition to the G2 OS? Do I post to the wish list here, or should I send an email directly to Clavia?

And I will write a EM review of the Continuum soon.

Further to this current question of MIDI implementation, there is a mode on the Continuum where it operates on one MIDI channel only. In this mode the Continuum doesn't work as elegantly as it normally does, but it acts as a workaround for situations like I ran into with the G2.

Thanks for the wlecome and I'm glad to be part of the G2 community!

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 213
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The best thing to do, IMHO, is to post an item on the Wish List forum.

It seems that if you limit your playing to four notes, you'll be OK on the G2. Looking at that controller you have, it seem like you could be very expressive within that limitation.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's an amazing controller....(good enough to match the control surface of the G2 Very Happy )

It seems like in MIDI mode, the only thing you loose is the individual finger pressure. With all the programmability of the Continuum, I don't understand why each finger pressure couldn't get a generic CC#, rather than average of all fingers to CC#7. Then you wouldn't loose anything.

Maybe this should end up with requests to each manufacturer!
Rob

G2 patch files: 109

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Multi Mono "Guitar" Mode on the G2 Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

EdmundEagan wrote:
Is there a way to put the G2 into a multi mono "guitar" mode? the only way I've been able to figure this out is to create a performance, each voice in the performance the same patch, and give them sequential midi channels 1,2,3,4. The drag about this is it's a little clumsy to set up and more importanly it limits me to four voice polyphony.

Here is a patch that uses the NoteZone module to merge data on channels 2 to 6 into the data that goes to slot A, which should be in channel 1.

I think the bending might not directly work, no way I can check that here. But there is also the Status module and multiplexer modules that can perhaps separate the different bending info on the channels. It would make the patch a bit more complex, but I think it is doable.

ReceiveOn6Chnnls.pch2
 Description:
This example patch merges midi data from channels 2 to 6 with the midi data that goes to slot A using NoteZone modules. Patch should be loaded into slot A for it to work. Note that all controllers merge into one stream, it might be necessary to add some m

Download
 Filename:  ReceiveOn6Chnnls.pch2
 Filesize:  1.45 KB
 Downloaded:  1531 Time(s)

Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: