electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » electro-music.com
Site is slow?
Page 1 of 2 [35 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:44 am    Post subject: Site is slow? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Pages have been loading slowly lately for me when I click on forums or threads in electro-music.com. There is sometimes a delay of what feels like a a minute or half a minute before the page starts to change (observed in Safari and Firefox).

Is this just some bottleneck between the site and the locations I've tried (three), or is there some big load on the site servers bogging stuff down?

/Stefan

seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

same here Crying or Very sad

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
BananaPlug

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ditto
BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yep its fairly random as well, works fast and then slow and then fast etc.

Been like this from me for a couple of weeks
Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK, glad it's not just me seeing things. It's not the end of the world, but it's consistent enough that I thought a heads up might be in order.

/Stefan

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmm ... only yesterday I had some slowness over wifi, and then there is the 'usual slowness' at around 03:00 UTC/GMT ... or 02:00 it seems to be now ... (backup time, apparently it shifts with daylight saving in the US?). And then occasionally the server is pretty busy of course, but I didn't really run into that too often lately ... certainly nothing like half a minute.

And then usually when the server is slow there is a raise in double postings, as people get impatient and hit send again ... I didn't really notice a lot of such postings either lately.

BobTheDog

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I actually get timeouts on the browser.

If I refresh it can load instantly.
Rykhaard

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have noticed a slight though continuous increase in slow response from EM for at least the last couple of weeks. It's not just at back time, any more. It has been occurring at any time from rough 8Surprisedo a.m. to 2Surprisedo a.m. E.D.T.

Oh yeah - timeouts. I've had the latest version of Firefox time out as well. Hitting Refresh will some times, bring up an instant response. At other times, I've had to Refresh for up to a couple of minutes.

I'll start keeping track of the times, of the delays, through the day.
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmm .. lets say its erratic ... I've been browsing for a bit now and in fact sometimes I do get fairly long response times now as well, and then its snappy again ... also I instlled the latest FF here, but that doesn't seem to change things.

I had a look at the apache thread monitor for some time, and while the use goes up and down it doesn't look like absurd or anything what happens there, just the usual stuff ... in the general site stats it does look like march was a pretty busy month here, and the last couple of days as well, with some special interest for mp3 files (the xfer data amount seem high as well), so maybe there is some leeching going on.

Dont have the password here for the other stat tools, but will look at it once at home again.

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok, looked at some other stats, and found another indication that there is some file leeching going on ... bytes/request and kbit/s graphs peaked at around 5 to 6 times the average at times during the last two weeks, whereas during the last two months that usually is no more than a factor of two ... so I guess there is not much that can be done about this, except for a faster server Crying or Very sad .

Hits/s though climbed only a bit over the last three months, like 20% or so and the number of busy threads is a bit higher recently but still a headroom of a about factor two present, so nothing too bad there either.

cappy2112

Audio files: 2
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
Ok, looked at some other stats, and found another indication that there is some file leeching going on ... bytes/request and kbit/s graphs peaked at around 5 to 6 times the average at times during the last two weeks, whereas during the last two months that usually is no more than a factor of two ... so I guess there is not much that can be done about this, except for a faster server Crying or Very sad .

Hits/s though climbed only a bit over the last three months, like 20% or so and the number of busy threads is a bit higher recently but still a headroom of a about factor two present, so nothing too bad there either.

It was definitely down for me, a few minutes ago.

http://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/electro-music.com
Of course by the time you all read this, everythign will be working fine.

emdown.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  95.45 KB
 Viewed:  325 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

emdown.jpg

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

it stopped working for me too. It's also really slow in loading pages. Maybe that spambot got a little further in than we intially thought? I'm still a little confused why this scared the 'living shit' out of Carlo though? (private joke!)!!
IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Its probably all those little bloody Emoticons that is slowing it down.

NOT Cool No more thats what I say NOT Cool
Oskar

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've sometimes experienced small problems with the site, but being very bad with anything IT, I've tended to suppose the problems lie with me, or rather my landlord's son, whose handling of network maintenance is a constant source of bafflement, not to say annoyance.
Anyway, I've experienced symptoms similar to what has already been described; timeouts, dropouts and whatnot.
Seems to me that when the Mad Kid is hogging too much bandwidth for his downloads of HD movie torrents, one of the first sites to slow down is, sadly E-M.

DrJustice

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's been a tad slow at times. Having a look at some stats here:

- Stefans OP is 8144 bytes of HTML source
- the whole page up to and including Andys posting is 187860 bytes of HTML source, add to this a couple of stylesheets
- the amount of actual textual content up to and including Andys posting is 15611 bytes
- the emoticons in Andys last posting are 1039 bytes each, while the fancy animated ones in Carlos last posting are less than 1.5kB on average
- the avatars seem to be around 10kB on average, i.e. around 140kB for the ones up to and including Andys posting
- there are 14 emoticons up to and including Andys posting, i.e around 15kB in total (hopefully the repeated ones are cached locally)

This amounts to a total of a bit less than 350kB including the button graphics.

Loading the emoticon selection page from the posting form page has always(?) been _very_ slow. Of course the pages themselves are normally rendered before the graphics are fetched, so the gfx is not in a direct position to slow the page delivery down. I note that the HTML source to textual content ratio is greater than 10 to 1.

All in all, the information above is pretty much useless - but since I went to the length of gathering it, I might as well share it... Razz

Anyway, I suspect the long response times are not really caused by the amount of data. Assuming the site itself (i.e. the database) is in good shape, it could be factors like server arrangements (private/shared, fast/slow), bandwidth quota/balancing/policies or a number of other networking issues. The only thing I'm certain about is that I have no idea about what's going on Laughing Oskars Mad Kid Theorem sounds kind of plausible though...

DJ
--
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's well heaving at the moment. Almost annoying. Evil or Very Mad Has that cat pissed on the server again?? Shocked Laughing
IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
Oskar

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DrJustice wrote:
Oskars Mad Kid Theorem sounds kind of plausible though...

You're kidding!?

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DrJustice wrote:
All in all, the information above is pretty much useless - but since I went to the length of gathering it, I might as well share it... Razz

Maybe not so useless ... its a lot of independent files and the thread count for the server is set around twenty ... so on a single load a lot of those would be used ... unfortunately when the thread count is set higher the server will choke itself ... anyway, apparently the stats I looked at gave averages ...

DrJustice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oskar wrote:
DrJustice wrote:

You're kidding!?

Yes, at least in part... But hey, "The Mad Kid Theorem" sounds cool, perhaps information theory needs to consider it? cyclops

DJ
--
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DrJustice wrote:
Oskar wrote:
DrJustice wrote:

You're kidding!?

Yes, at least in part... But hey, "The Mad Kid Theorem" sounds cool, perhaps information theory needs to consider it? cyclops

DJ
--

It could be a script kiddie anywhere ... or herds of 'm Shocked

DrJustice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
... its a lot of independent files and the thread count for the server is set around twenty ...

Hm, this page could possibly generate 30-40 requests... but that's hardly spectacular in the Web Wide World.

DJ
--
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

66 requests according to firebug.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just wanted to add, this has been the 3rd time I've had to re log-in to electro-music.com today. Something must be up Confused
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

re-log in ... seems odd, with your iPhone?
Page 1 of 2 [35 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » electro-music.com
Jump to: