electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » How-tos
making noise by effec pedal
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
norm

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 11:08 am    Post subject: making noise by effec pedal Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi, Have you ever seen Black Dice before? I am interesting in electronic and experimental music. I wondering what kind of effect pedals they use to make thier noise(drum beats as well)? I really want to know How they use foot pedal control drumbeats and what is the best way to begin with this kind of music (and What is the first effect that I should get first)...has any suggestion about making noise? please educate me. thanks!!
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I haven't ever heard of Black Dice.

As for what is the first effect to get for making noise, what do you have already? If you don't have a lot of hardware already, I'd suggest you try to do everything on your computer. It's a lot cheaper and very powerful.

It seems everyone has a delay/echo/reverb gizmo. I hear many many people just play any sound into them and let them roar on constantly. I don't care for this myself, but it seems that's the way a lot of people get started.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
aquanaut

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://www.sherman.be/

A powerful analog filtering and distortion unit with a huge frequency range and a killing TUBE overdrive behavior. Independent low pass, band pass and high pass filters with resonance, frequency and ADSR (positive - negative) controls * These are switchable between parallel or serial * The second filter has a 6 octave switch, and is synchronizable with the first filter * 1 ADSR generator for these filters with an external output for use with more filterbanks or modular systems, triggered by the incoming signal, by a second sounds source, or by a gate * 1 FM input for the filters, internal or external audio, LFO or CV * 1 VCA overdrive with AR generator also * 1 ring modulator input, internal or external audio, LFO or CV
aquanaut

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://www.harshnoise.com/

http://www.noisefx.com/forums.html/hnTop4
norm

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

now I have 3 synth 1 drum machine and 2 guitar. I want to use those pedal for my live setup. that why I try to figure out what do I want for now. If I have enough money I will go with a new laptop and G2 for sure.

by the way I have one more question, hope you don t mind to educate me more. If I want to add a reverb and delay pedal in my setup...Do you think which reverb + delay pedal is the good one in your oppinion? please don t forget to tell me why... what do you think about Electro harmonix Holier Grail and Memry Man (Can you compare with multi effect racks or digital reverbs out there?)
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Like 20-25 years ago all decent synths had CV/gate ins and outs. If you added some pedals ( CV control ) , stomp switches for gate.. some DIY filterbanks and envelopes.. a little mixer and some second hand Tandberg reel to reel tape recorders for echo and stereo ping pong.. you had one immensely insanely cool noise patch.

A lot of this and more can be done using modern gear and midi.
Small mixers, like Behringer UB models, are really inexpensive. I reckon what you want is a setup/patch that is useful for live performances?

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

IMHO, if you see a G2 in your future, a good idea BTW, then save your money and get it. It has built in delays, reverbs, filters, ring modulators, and virtually everything you'd want to do great noise music.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jkn

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Definitely check out the Harshnoise link posted earlier. Also - the old faithful Harmony-Central ( http://www.harmony-central.com ) has a fairly extensive database of effects unit user reviews.

Effects pedals / types / brands - it's all a personal taste thing. I absolutely love my Korg SDD-1200 dual delay rack unit - it can be pretty and straight - or a feedback noise / metallic tunnel unit from hell. I'm not sure it's a great thing to go seek out these days since so many other things have come out since then that probably can top it. I've had it since '87 so I know how to tweak it fairly well.

If you're wanting to tweak things live - make sure you look for units that have tweakable things... knobs, control pedals, etc... Many "all in one" units just have patch memory options - they can be edited - but not necessarily (or at least easily) tweaked live. I love my Boss ME8B bass multi-effects pedal - but it doesn't have a lot of live tweaking options - newer models have gone away from the sleeker no knobs type look to putting live controls back on them.

For noise - nothing beats a couple of distortion / fuzzboxes / etc...

The really really nice thing about pedals - especially if you're wanting to use them for noise music - is you can just go out and buy a bunch of really beat up / really cheap used pedals at your local music store or pawn shop.
diskonext

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah,

everything stated here sounds pretty neat. If you can score a Zoom 1010 mutli-effect pedal you're set as well. It is a 5-effect chain (wah/comp + dist + chorus/flange + delay/verb), the distortion is done using a analog circuit Wink

I've heard people do wicked things with reel-to-reel tape-recorders with a single tape loop in them as well!

-diskonext

Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » How-tos
Jump to: