electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » How-tos
Latency Problems: Logic, playback of external synths...
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
retired_1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 5:08 pm    Post subject: Latency Problems: Logic, playback of external synths... Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi All,

I seem to be having issues with delays when trying to record synths into Logic. Currently have two synths directly connected to my soundcard.

I know theres a latency problem but have failed to find decent software to tackle this, if there is any.

Is theres a way to do this by routing the mixer tracks through a sample delay type of application on a bus, or is this only good for DSP cards?

I have tried using the MIDI delay parameter in the synchonization settings to tweak the timing up by ear. Not so good!

There must be a more accurate way as it has something to do with the soundcards buffer right? So a sample delay of some sort is needed on the tracks that are 'ahead'?

Has anyone got any advice on how to tackle this problem?

Cheers,
Ben
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

When seraph wakes up I reckon he will give you a some sensible advice. I am using good ld Cubase 5.2 VST 32 on a mac. I have no big latency problems at all. Logic is suppsoed to have small latency problems, so I am not sure what can be you problem. What audio interface are you using?

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
retired_1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Im using a Terratec EWS88 MT.

The buffer is on 1024 samples.

This is probably way too high? I'm also using a virus | powercore which seems to only like working properly with these higher buffer settings for me.

If I lower the buffer size the timing does improve greatly but the virus doesn't seem to like it at all! haha can't seem to win right now!
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
When seraph wakes up I reckon he will give you a some sensible advice.

Here I am Very Happy I have never experienced problems like that using Logic but I am a mac user so I can't be of great help to you. In truth I have often heard of latency problems on PCs and you know Logic is not supported anymore on that platform. Your version is 5.5 Question Is it a "sensible advice" saying to move to Apple computer Question Maybe your "virtual virus" is way too demanding for your CPU Exclamation That seems to be the case Idea

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
retired_1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi there Seraph...

Yeah 5.5 is the one! Theoretically my CPU *should* be fine for this.. its an AMD 3400+ 64bit thang, with 1Gb of pretty fast DDR RAM

Haha.. move to mac... hmmm i wish! nice shiny G5!

A more feasable option for me would be to move to cubase to see if these problems go away, as there are definate latency problems with PC Logic. Especially on the busses with using the Powercore and the I/O helper for me and my buffer settings! Shocked

Eventually I was going to have to do this as, as you said, Logic isn't made for PC anymore! Shame, been a Logic user for many years now...

Well I'll keep plugging away and if i find a decent solution I'll post it! haha...

After thinking about it more it is kind of strange that the virtual virus is taking up so much resource. Might have to get onto TC-Electronics to see if they have any ideas....
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmm.. I have seen something somewhere about Powercore latency issues....

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

look what I found on the links page:
MusicXP
Advice and guidance on setting up and tuning Windows XP for professional audio applications. 
http://musicxp.net 
[Hits: 2]  [Avg' Rating: n/a]  [Added: Fri Oct 29, 2004 7:22 pm]  [Poster: djfoxyfox]

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
retired_1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah found that site a while back... some really good advice on there!

turns out that halfing my buffer did the trick! theres still some delay but the MIDI delay tuning within the synchonisation settings seems to be a little more accurate now...

Havn't tried the powercore plugins on the busses yet, that was also an issue! their compensator plugin didn't seem to make a huge amount of difference. Hopefully with these new buffer settings it will?! Confused
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » How-tos
Jump to: