electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » How-tos » Manuals, Instructions, and Documents
Roland MC-4B MicroComposer Service Manual
Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Adam-V

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject:  Roland MC-4B MicroComposer Service Manual
Subject description: Anybody got one?
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Would be mighty obliged if anybody having the service manual for an MC-4 could bear to part with it or a copy thereof.

Cheers,
Adam-V
Rykhaard

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Roland MC-4B MicroComposer Service Manual
Subject description: Anybody got one?
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Adam-V wrote:
Would be mighty obliged if anybody having the service manual for an MC-4 could bear to part with it or a copy thereof.

Cheers,
Adam-V

If all goes well, I'll have my MC-4B and it's service manual back hopefully as soon as next month. Surprised Smile If all goes as I'm hoping, I could scan a copy of it and send it to you. Smile
Adam-V

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That would be absolutely brilliant! Much appreciated.

Cheers,
Adam-V.

Rykhaard

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Adam-V wrote:
That would be absolutely brilliant! Much appreciated.

Cheers,
Adam-V.

Bugger. Sad

The MC-4B came today in the mail and the chap that had sent it, gave me a Roland System 700 Service Manual instead! Sad

And the MC-4B wont power up either. System beep is there normally and shutting the machine off (repeatedly), lights up every pixel in the display. Also hitting momentary switch 'Mode' does cause the 'tab' sound as it's moving through parameters.

I'm suspecting the largest cap in the power supply. Will test the PS output voltages (to see if the transformer is working) as well as replacing that large cap. (As recommended by Bruce (RFeng).

Here's to hoping! Haven't had this machine since 1996. Looking forward to getting working, BIG time. Surprised (And - finding the service manual. Sad I WILL check my physical archives, as I DID have 2 originals of it, in the later 90's. Maybe, I still have one. Surprised )
houshu

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here:

http://rvgm.l4rge.com/
Rykhaard

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

houshu wrote:
Here:

http://rvgm.l4rge.com/

EXCELLENT site for manuals and service manuals! Many thanks! Very Happy (Mostly Roland but a few others.)
Adam-V

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bugger indeed! Hope you get it working.

I'm having no luck with the abovementioned site, I get "server not found".

Cheers,
Adam-V

Rykhaard

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Adam-V wrote:
Bugger indeed! Hope you get it working.

Spent a while on it earlier today. Tested the power supply and the +5, +12 and -22 voltages were okay.
Looking around at other things, I found that the display's mother board had a corner of it ripped FROM the mobo! This took with it, 2 large traces. (Took a photo of it, also.)
I grabbed some 16 guage wire and jumpered the 2 traces that had been on the corner that had ripped from the main.
Closing the lid and powering her up again - all panel display stuff is now working. Smile

But - except for the MODE button, switching modes (properly), none of the pushbuttons are working at all. Sad
I've done a quick magnifying glass inspection of the related boards inside (including the display mobo) and I can't see anything else wrong. Sad

I've printed out the related schematic from the Service Manual and will go down to have a look at it again. I'll see if I can trace the problem out. Hoping so, as it's been 13 years since I last had this sequencer. I can't wait to get it running again!

Would you by chance know of any sites anywhere, that are listing any problems that these models have ever had?? scratch

Quote:

I'm having no luck with the abovementioned site, I get "server not found".

Cheers,
Adam-V

Try that above link again. If it still wont work, I can email you the copy that I downloaded, earlier today. Smile

Edit: I just tried that site again and yeah - "Address not found". Weird, as it worked fine earlier today. Surprised

If you wish me to send it to you, lemme know. Smile
Adam-V

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd be mighty obliged if you could send the manual my way. If you can PM it to me that'd be great otherwise I'll PM you my email address.

As far as common issues with MC4s, the keyboards are the biggest source of failure. I know some people have had success with pulling the keyboard assembly out and cleaning the switches with contact cleaner but then I have heard others say that the switches are sealed and that cleaning will have no effect.

I don't know of any sites that offer details of other common problems.

I hope you get it back to a fully functional state, they are brilliant sequencers despite being difficult to program.

Cheers,
Adam-V

Rykhaard

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Adam-V wrote:
I'd be mighty obliged if you could send the manual my way. If you can PM it to me that'd be great otherwise I'll PM you my email address.

Right-o. Shall try it right after this. Smile

Quote:

As far as common issues with MC4s, the keyboards are the biggest source of failure. I know some people have had success with pulling the keyboard assembly out and cleaning the switches with contact cleaner but then I have heard others say that the switches are sealed and that cleaning will have no effect.

Bugger. Right then. I'm going to first check that power ( or signal) is coming to their main connections. If not, then I'll work backwards from there in tracing. If there is a source coming to them, but nothing is coming out upon activation, then I'll figure where to go from there.
It's appears that NONE of them are working though. That's why I'm suspecting they've no source coming to them. Shall see and report.

Quote:

I don't know of any sites that offer details of other common problems.

If they were still heavily in use, I'd start one on my bulletin board. I may anyways. Never know. Google knows my site. If I did, they'd eventually have it in their database. Wink

Quote:

I hope you get it back to a fully functional state, they are brilliant sequencers despite being difficult to program.

Cheers,
Adam-V

Me too! I only used the 2 of them a bit in '95 / '96, with my modular then, but it shore wore wonderful! I can't WAIT to get back to it! With that, my Alesis MMT-8 driving my Roland MPU-101 (in sync with the Garfield converter I was given), I'll have 8 CVs / Gates possibilities. Smile Smile

Off to send the Serv.Man.
monads

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Has anyone had the display go bad or an alpha character not displaying properly on their MC-4? The last alpha character wont display on my unit. Crying or Very sad When I power down it flashes, like it works but on power-up nothing. Example on startup would read:

TB 120 30 1

5 doesn't show at the end.
volumetrik

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Does anyone know how many MC-4's were ever made? It just seems like its impossible to get one...

I know that there were only 300 MC-8's ever made.
monads

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

volumetrik wrote:
Does anyone know how many MC-4's were ever made? It just seems like its impossible to get one...

I know that there were only 300 MC-8's ever made.

Not sure how many MC-4s were made as well as units w/the optional memory upgrade "MC-4B". Last year only 2 MC-4s were available on eBay (May/August). I think I remember seeing 1 MC-8 (mint & new) as well.

But you're right, they're very difficult to obtain.

btw, I did get my MC-4B fixed Smile by Greg at http://www.audiorehab.net/
raisinbag

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey old thread, tried link for manual but dead end. Did anyone ever find a cop of service manual? Thanks. The bag.
raisinbag

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great thanks.
Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » How-tos » Manuals, Instructions, and Documents
Jump to: