electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Show me your G2's!
Page 2 of 8 [186 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Next
iPassenger

Audio files: 5
G2 patch files: 78

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

fac wrote:
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Nice set-up, your modular looks great.

BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is my main desk, there are more synths and guitars on the right that can't be seen but this is the main area

newracks_183.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.8 MB
 Viewed:  464 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

newracks_183.jpg

iPassenger

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:
This is my main desk, there are more synths and guitars on the right that can't be seen but this is the main area

Bob, that is awesome! Pretty jealous.

BobTheDog

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That pic was taken when I first set it all up that way with new racks, now there are wires and crap everywhere and it doesn't look quite so neat!
dorremifasol

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 49

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hmmm... nice place to go on holidays Very Happy

How comes that I see the Virus TI almost everywhere?? Is it THAT good?

BobTheDog

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It is absolutely fantastic, everyone should have one.
iPassenger

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:
That pic was taken when I first set it all up that way with new racks, now there are wires and crap everywhere and it doesn't look quite so neat!

Hehe.. the god damn wires!!

Still looks like you have a fantastic work area with some very choice pieces of kit.

dorremifasol

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:

If you had to compare it to the G2 or the Nord Lead 3, what would be your thoughts?

Sorry for the OT. I'm considering the TI lately but I still haven't made my mind, since I can't test it myself.

iPassenger

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dorremifasol wrote:
BobTheDog wrote:

If you had to compare it to the G2 or the Nord Lead 3, what would be your thoughts?

Sorry for the OT. I'm considering the TI lately but I still haven't made my mind, since I can't test it myself.

You getting tired of your nords or looking for a different sound/interface?

BobTheDog

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well first of all I should say I am no expert on these sort of things, I do have a G2 but not a lead.

I like the TI because is is very easy to get it to sound good and synth non-gurus like me can patch it easily.

Comparisons with the G2 are hard as the G2 can do so much more than the TI but this could be said when comparing the G2 to most synths.

I use the G2 for learning about subtractive synthesis and modular patching and the TI to actually make some noise.

Are there any specific details you are after?
dorremifasol

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

iPassenger wrote:
You getting tired of your nords or looking for a different sound/interface?

I love the Nords, specially the Lead 3 since it sounds great instantly with a few knob tweaks. But to me I's hard to get really satisfying sounds out of my G2. I love it for more esoteric sounds and experiments, though.

BobTheDog wrote:
Are there any specific details you are after?

Well I just wanted an opinion based on the overall sound quality and sense satisfaction using one or the other Razz

Definitely I have to check it for myself!

Anyway, I wouldn't end without a G2 in any form or another (keyboard or engine), I have so much fun with it.

iPassenger

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I know what you mean, it definately has a steep learning curve in comparison to other syths, particularly when it comes to honing in on a certain sound or vibe. Althopugh I do find that it makes me wish all synths/drum machines/effects etc had a visual representation like the Nord does though.
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dorremifasol wrote:

Well I just wanted an opinion based on the overall sound quality and sense satisfaction using one or the other Razz

I myself prefer the sound of the TI to the G2, this is of course a subjective thing but to me it sounds great, my PEK and TI to me sound very good, the G2 to me just doesn't sound the same.

The hypersaw osc sounds very nice to me, Wavetable oscs are nice as well, filters sound good especially in parallel with some saturation between them, the mod matrix is pretty good 6 slots each with 3 destinations, the arp is basic but works well, the effects are good I especially like the delay/echo and of course 16 slot multis for complex patches or muti-timbral use.

The TI Integration via a plugin to the DAW is also excellent now, I use this for all patching now. I don't play keyboards but use a midi guitar and it is a simple task to set up a patch, drag and drop it onto 6 slots in the multi on different channels and off we go.

All in all I think it is a great little synth that sounds excellent, there are also many 1000s of patches to use/steal/learn from which for me is very useful.

I love the TI it is my most used synth for making sound.

The G2 is a different kettle of fish for me, you can do things with the G2 that the TI can never do, all the noodles and machines on this site show that; but for a bread and butter synth the TI wins.

I would never get rid of either!
iPassenger

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:

The G2 is a different kettle of fish for me, you can do things with the G2 that the TI can never do, all the noodles and machines on this site show that; but for a bread and butter synth the TI wins.

My buddy says the same, he has Virus C and says it is a great workhorse but he thinks the Nord Mod and the Blofeld produce more interesting sounds.. Mind he hasn't had his Virus that long.

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

iPassenger wrote:
The drinks go precariously next to the mouse and keyboard.. eek!

When a drink goes into a laptop I might be experienced enough to guide you through that situation Confused Laughing

Nice table full of stuff!

egw
Stream Operator

Audio files: 18
G2 patch files: 8

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cappy2112 wrote:
egw wrote:
Current performance rig:

Minimalistic, clean, efficient, and I like the fact that the MM is still used, even though the G2 is more powerful

I'm curious, why are those guitars so small? Wait- there are 8 strings on the one to the right. Are those electric mandolins?

Are those stringed-things being processed by the G2?
Is Billy playing those? Got mp3?

They are an electric mandolin and a mandola. Both are 8 strings and I process them through the G2, but just to add a bit of delay and reverb.

Sorry, no mp3s yet, but I'll get there eventually. This rig is for use in a new project with a guitar player. Something like psychedelic world fusion space music.

Chrono

Audio files: 37
G2 patch files: 38

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i always loved Access Virus synths ass well, Easy to get a phat sound in seconds. I own the Virus A, that one still has its unique flavor compared with the other virus versions. C and above. I've used the virus C for a while too wich sounds more Canny :p

Then if i compare with the G2 the main difference are the filters, unison style and the digi osc.

It will never sound the same, but can come close with a huge variety of sick patching with the g2. It takes more to make your g2 sound fat, and some drawbacks here and there must be taken for granted.

The thing i really like about the Virus TI is the amount of voices.

But i like the g2 a lot more. Its the best i ever bought and helped me a lot along the way.

Chrono Live.jpg
 Description:
Live setup
 Filesize:  89.61 KB
 Viewed:  206 Time(s)

Chrono Live.jpg

06052009013.jpg
 Description:
Studio Setup
 Filesize:  1.5 MB
 Viewed:  215 Time(s)

06052009013.jpg

egw
Stream Operator

Audio files: 18
G2 patch files: 8

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cappy2112 wrote:
egw wrote:
Current performance rig:

Minimalistic, clean, efficient, and I like the fact that the MM is still used, even though the G2 is more powerful

The micro is still very useful due to it's compact size - and it has a few sounds I can't quite get on the G2. Also, I'm using all of the slots on the G2 and I occasionally like to have an extra sound effect or sequence. Sometimes I use a NM Key instead if I need more parts or polyphony.

Slot A on the G2 plays a local sound - usually a lead or pad. Slot B is a sequence player - it plays 3 sequences by sending midi to the PX-7. Slot C is a keyboard mapper: the 8 variations play channels 1-8 on the PX-7, used for drones, pads, arpeggios and leads. Slot D is a mixer that collects everything from the internal busses and external inputs and runs them through delay and reverb effects. Slot D is also the keyboard control for the micro.
External inputs on the G2 are used as follows: 1 is the mic, used mostly for flutes (sometimes other percussion). 2 is for the mandolin and mandola (they go through preamps on the mixer first). 3 and 4 are for the micro.

dorremifasol

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you guys very much for your thoughts about the TI. Definitely I have to check it out for myself.

If only I had more space... and of course, money! Very Happy

fac

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I had a Virus A for a few months, and while I really liked its character (very different from the NL3 and G2 - more dark and warm), I didn't like the menu system at all. Yes, there were many knobs on the front panel, but there were also many common parameters hidden in a menu that was very hard to navigate. I'm sure newer versions have a better interface, but to me, nothing beats the NL3 in that department. To me, the value of the NL3 lies in the inspiration it provides by allowing me to make new sounds very easily.
ehdyn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:07 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cappy2112 wrote:
jksuperstar wrote:
Well, clavia jumped on the rompler & polka box bandwagon, maybe guitar f/x are next?

hehe..
Nope- Candy-Apple Red XOX boxes Wink

Hope Clavia is smart enough to do this - would buy it sight unseen and hole up for the winter.
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok, back to the topic Laughing

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

ehdyn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looks as a G2 cockfight

Wonder if thats possible...
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ehdyn wrote:

/me thinks so ... Laughing

ehdyn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
ehdyn wrote:

/me thinks so ... Laughing

Working with neural networks?
Page 2 of 8 [186 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: