electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Ken Stone designs - CGS
Mouser from the uk?
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
ignatzthemouse

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:01 am    Post subject: Mouser from the uk?
Subject description: building a cgs 735 and some other stuff... need component advice
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've got a set of Panther CGS735 pcbs and also a merga percussive synth pcb to populate.
I'm in the uk and whilst I can see most of the parts in stores like rapid electronics, maplin, RS etc I'm going to have to do a number of orders and am also going to have to substitute a few components which I'd rather get exactly correct.
I've browsed the mouser site which a lot of people in the states seem to use and whilst it seems to cover a lot more and to have a few more exact matches I don't know what they're like to deal with from the uk. Could anyone else comfirm that the shipping cost/time is reasonable? Would I incur customs charges? Is there anywhere in the uk which might be a better choice?

Am I perhaps being too picky about exactly matching the bom? For example would 0.6W rather than 0.5W resistors be fine and is exactly matching every value vital?

Thanks.

Edit: browsing their terms answered the customs/vat thing. Still interested to know how exacting I need to be on component values and types.
e-grad

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, Mouser covers almost all needs for synth DIY. However, you'll have to pay EU-import tax which is 19 % on goods and S&H. (Possibly the imp. tax equals the national VAT thus it would be lower in Britain.) There's also custom to pay on goods imported (for elecronic parts it's in the 3% range overhere).

Mouser's parcels won't slip through the custom since the courier service is doing the custom works for you and charge you a fee for that service!

For the costs for S&H look up at the Mouser page.

For the good news: Ken mostly uses parts which are easily to come by. If unsure just ask here for possible substitutes.

Yes, you can use 0,6W resistors. The watt value indicates the possible load the resistor will support (this might not technically correct put but you get the idea).
ignatzthemouse

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes it look like the customs and vat makes mouser quite a costly option. I'll go with one of the uk based retailers.

I might have quite a few questions about substituting parts. I haven't built much so I'd like to go by the book as far as I can.
I've found that most of the places that sell a decent range of resistors require buying packs of 100. I don't want too much stuff lying around so If I can use 1W metal film ones then I can just pick a few up.
andrewF

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You might find 1W resistors too big to fit on the PCB.
Usually 0.25W are the most common and cheapest so it shouldn't be a problem to source these.
there are 0.6W metal film resistors that are the same dimensions as 0.25W, these are fine to use.
enjoy shopping Very Happy
ignatzthemouse

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Does anyone know of a more detailed bill of materials for the panther range? My browsing has generated a lot of questions already and it seems rude to ask people to read through an essay length list of links and queries if I can do more to work them out myself.
Adam-V

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Have a look at the Panther pages on the Elby Designs website. The BOM for each module is available on the individual module page.

Cheers,
Adam-V

ignatzthemouse

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes I know and have that. I was asking if there are any more detailed resources anyone can suggest before I ask 20 or so questions.
e-grad

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Rather ask us 20 questions then let us answer 40 questions you might not have asked.
ignatzthemouse

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok well I'll spend the weekend doing some more investigating so I can at least frame them as carefully (and hopefully intelligently) as I can.
Razz
e-grad

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Have you seen this link:
http://www.cgs.synth.net/modules/parts_faq.html ?

Don't get me wrong: No intention to discourage you from posting 20+ querries. Wink
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Ken Stone designs - CGS
Jump to: