electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Developers' Corner
Synth Coding in C#
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Lopi_bw

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:36 am    Post subject: Synth Coding in C# Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello all, this is my first post.

I want, for my Bachelor's Degree Diploma, to develop a simple synth in the Visual C# environment; as I am sure that it is not the best, or more efficient option, I want to prove that something like this can be developed in such a privileged environment.

Unfortunately, I am stuck at the first hurdle, basically reproducing a sound. I have read this THIS ARTICLE , but I haven't been able to make it work. I'm not sure, in this case, what "sample" represents, and I get an unhandled ArgumentException at the declaration of the secondary buffer. Does anyone know how to make that example properly work?

I would like to know if there is some other article explaining how to generate a simple tone (sine, square, or any other) in C#, or any other resource from where to start.
jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I can't necessarily help you, but I am glad you recognize that C# is one of the worst choices you could make to build real-time synthesizers with. I do hope, in the your future endeavors after graduation, you don't choose to perpetuate such a bloated environment, for any software. It's my opinion that these types of dev. envrionments are the reason my old Commodore64 ran @ 16MHz, with 64KB of memory, could load & run a MIDI seq/synth program off of a 31kHz serial attach floppy, and took the same amount of time to load the same function as my new 2GHz laptop with 1.5Gb SATA drive.

I don't mean to rant, but I really am not a fan of bloatware, and don't consider C# to be privileged.

That said, I'm sure it's entirely possible, as there are plenty of Java/non-native language synthesizers out there.
semisight

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Developers' Corner
Jump to: