electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
Have DSC2000.. do I need an SN-voice?
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
jmejia

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:00 am    Post subject: Have DSC2000.. do I need an SN-voice? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So I have and love my Blacet Darkstar Chaos. Is the SN-voice so much cooler that I should build one? I don't really care about the stable pitch tracking- that has nothing to do with my intentions for the module.. I'm interested in it for creative sound/noise design - and as a complex modulation source. Can the SN-voice do more in that respect? Or is it really just like a DSC with more stable keyboard tracking?
Dan Lavin

Audio files: 21

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I trashed my Blacet Noise Voice (the name before Dark Star) to build the SN Voice and haven't looked back. The SN Voice does everything the Dark Star plus more. Plus it integrates with modulars synths. I actually use 2 as the basis of my modular synth. Of course being able to track 1V/oct sold it for me. Need an SN-voice?....I suppose no one needs it, it's more of a want. Yeah...I actually would want a couple more!
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

antman49443 wrote:
I actually use 2 as the basis of my modular synth.

Wow! I'd love to hear any results Smile

I suppose I should add that the SNV also adds a triangle waveform out as well- you don't get that on a DSC. I too used to have a DSC, but sold it so I could get a Wogglebug- which I've now also sold because I have a 1-channel woggle (well the PCB- just need to find the time to put it together- and the SNV, and stop wasting so much on the internet! Embarassed Laughing )

But yes- I'd love to hear some sounds Antman Cool

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
jmejia

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
I trashed my Blacet Noise Voice (the name before Dark Star) to build the SN Voice and haven't looked back.

Why did you trash it? The chips are pretty easy to find right now. . .

Quote:
The SN Voice does everything the Dark Star plus more. Plus it integrates with modulars synths. I actually use 2 as the basis of my modular synth.

How does it integrate better? Are there more VC options? Or you just mean because of the better pitch tracking?

Sounds like theres no reason for me not to build one and have it alongside my DSC!
Dan Lavin

Audio files: 21

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v,

I did the IKC demo with my modular:
http://electro-music.com/forum/phpbb-files/ikcanalogcontrolexamples_358.mp3
The wilder octave modulations at the end are 2 SN Voice LFO's driving the IKC LFO inputs I'm only driving one SN Voice output because, as I told State Machine at the time, it might scare away any customers from the project! No, seriously, the sound got so busy you couldn't tell what was the SN Voices and what was the IKC. You can do some really nice cross modulation stuff with 2. Now I just got to find the perfect filter to mate with these. Not sure my Moog lpf clone or MFOS SVVCF are the best fits.

jmejia,
by trashing the Percussive Noise Voice, I mean I pulled the Sn-chip out and put the rack module in storage. If I can free up more rack space, it might return. But the overall capability seems really limited now. The SN does integrate better because of more CV ins and outs. I suggest you go to Scott Stites site (say that fast 5 times!) and check out his sound samples. Then read the whole E-M forum thread...well at least the beginning to get a feel for the thing.
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
Jump to: