electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » How-tos
sequencing with triggers and software
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
tbom11

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:05 pm    Post subject: sequencing with triggers and software Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So I have been trying to figure this out for a long time. Most of you might now Andre Dymond aka Duracell, he is a member of this forum. I know he does all of his programming through the nord g2's editor program. I was trying to find alternatives to using that program.

and if an alternative program is found, a detailed explanation on how to trigger these sequences. I have triggers, i have a midi i/o. and i have a wide access to programs. I just need some help.

thanks,

kj.
tbom11

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

for those of you who don't know who duracell is ... http://andrediamant.free.fr/
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welcome tbom.

I'm not sure what you are looking for exactly. Are you looking for just a MIDI processing program, or should it make sound as well?

tbom11

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks for the welcome. Yeah I am not completely sure what i am looking for. I'm on a super tight budget, so if everything can be done through programs including making the actual sound, that would be a plus. I was thinking something where the triggers that are attached to my drum set run directly into an alesis trigger i/o, into my computer, then from the computer to an audio interface of some kind into an amp/head.

the idea was to get away from the traditional band make up, and do a solo project that i have complete control over. I'm a technical drummer who loves the likes of aphex twin, m83, 65daysofstatic, the flashbulb, etc. and i want to combine powerful synth/chiptune/post rock compositions with acoustic drumming. When i saw Duracell, that was exactly what i was going for, different style of music but same concept. this is something i am very dedicated to learn how to do.

Being new to this area of music making, i am a bit hindered, but fortunately i am a fast learner. Thanks again for your interest in my inquiry.
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

On a tight budget I'd say software like super collider or chuck ... it's free and it has the flexibility you'd want for both audio and control processing. When you're new to programming it will take some time to get into it, that might be a minus.
opg

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think I know exactly what you mean. I bought an old Roland PM-16 trigger-to-MIDI converter a while back and used it to trigger Soundfonts within Fruity Loops. There aren't many trigger-to-MIDI converters out there, but this one was the cheapest (and lots of inputs!). I'm not sure how much Fruity Loops is now because I still use an old version (v3.5 which seems more stable on my PC IMHO).

However, there are tons of free VSTi hosts in which you can load free soundfont players or even simple sampler VSTis.

Probotector

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello,
I am also looking to get a similar setup to duracell creating game music through drums and triggers. I have played drums for many years but know nothing about oscillators and such like.
I currently have my acoustic kit with triggers plugged into an alesis io going into my mac running the g2 editor software.
What i am actually looking to do is setup the synth sequence so the note changes on each hit of the snare (like duracells space harrier).

Is there a tutorial on this sort of thing or can anyone help or point me in the right direction.

Also do i actually need a micro modular or g2 to pull this off? Or can i just use the g2 editor with my mac and current equipment?

Any help would be massively appreciated,
Sam
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welcome Sam

Probotector wrote:
Also do i actually need a micro modular or g2 to pull this off? Or can i just use the g2 editor with my mac and current equipment?

You'll need the real thing ... as for information you try to PM or mail Duracell I guess ... I'm not aware of any tutorial like stuff although there is some scattered info on the forum I think.

CJ Miller

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Years ago I bought a beat-up Simmons TMI for this, but these days you could probably use an Arduino, or a hacked computer keyboard, for nearly no cost.

The MIDI you play into it can be recorded into most MIDI sequencer and/or DAW programs. I like Max quite a bit. Also PD and Supercollider are powerful and free.
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » How-tos
Jump to: