electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Discussion » Composition
How do you make audio clicks and blips
Page 1 of 1 [14 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
AbjectEvolution

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:06 pm    Post subject: How do you make audio clicks and blips
Subject description: lo-fi sounding electronic beats
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I was wanting to start a post about different methods of creating electronic clicks and blips for lo-fi sounding beats. Think some of Radiohead's stuff. I can imagine a few ways that it could be done, but I was hoping to get some insight from some people on here. I'm not wanting to use already created sounds from a program like Reason... I'm wanting to create the sounds myself. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.
Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 267

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If you like to program, try ChucK. See our ChucK forum for details.

Les

Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I found a good one is to get the electronic starter from a gas stove and record it. The kind which sparks over and over when you hold down a small microswitch.
Either remove it from an old stove on junk day, or just record it straight from the stovetop.
Record about 5 seconds or so, then pitch shift it down 1 or 2 octaves in Soundforge. Then cut it up and effect it as you wish. Each click sounds slightly different to the other ones which is really great.
You can also change the timbre by making it spark through a piece of paper, cellophane, shirt box plastic, petrol soaked pyjamas etc! Laughing

Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 267

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice one Krunky!
RF

Audio files: 28

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Some audio programs will open various non-audio files ie. txt or doc files as audio.
Lots of good bleeps and blips...

Here's my Outlook Express address book as opened by Audacity.

Of course, you must also check the Lunetta Forum.... There are bizarre noises in those simple circuits that have not been heard yet...

bruce

Address Book1.wav
 Description:
My Address Book opened as a wav file

Download
 Filename:  Address Book1.wav
 Filesize:  78.04 KB
 Downloaded:  1253 Time(s)

"I want to make these sounds that go wooo-wooo-ah-woo-woo.”
(Herb Deutsch to Bob Moog ~1963)
ocp

Audio files: 9

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: How do you make audio clicks and blips
Subject description: lo-fi sounding electronic beats
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

AbjectEvolution wrote:
I was wanting to start a post about different methods of creating electronic clicks and blips for lo-fi sounding beats. Think some of Radiohead's stuff. I can imagine a few ways that it could be done, but I was hoping to get some insight from some people on here. I'm not wanting to use already created sounds from a program like Reason... I'm wanting to create the sounds myself. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

What soft/hardware do you use?
Reason's Subtractor should do the job (fast attack and short decay/release in the envelopes, some tweaking in the filter dept. and short note figures).
Radio crackles and vinyl are two favorites of mine but I guess it's all about using one's imagination and available tools.

AbjectEvolution

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have Pro Tools 8, Reason, Fruity Loops, and a Nord Wave. I understand some simple concepts of Reason, but nothing advanced.

And actually... I was messing around on my Wave and discovered that I can tweak the attack, sustain, release, and decay to turn pretty much any program into a click/glitch/bleep variation. I think I have discovered that the possibilities are endless if I simply use the Nord. So at least I have discovered one method.

I really wish I could have someone perform the electronic beats in real time while I play the keys. I'm planning on buying some Mandalas in January so maybe I can incorporate those into someone's acoustic set and map electronic click samples to the pads for the drummer to play.
Wout Blommers

Audio files: 123
G2 patch files: 12

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

AbjectEvolution wrote:
... So at least I have discovered one method. ...
What is the exact definition of these infamous 'Clicks & Blips'? I can't find anything in Google...

Surely on the Nord there is a possibility to create short sounds using the Amp. Long Release and almost no Sustain gives these sounds more space Smile

Wout
AbjectEvolution

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah that's just it. I searched Google and YouTube and all I could find was this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=up7dwufWtz8&feature=related

Which is pretty cool...

Anyway... it's just that. clicks and blips. Extremely short digital audio sounds. Glitches, blips, snappy clicks...
Sam_Zen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Take an old vinyl LP and sample the start and end parts without the music.
First de-rumble the recording, then enhance and multiply to a useful loop.

Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

AbjectEvolution wrote:
... Anyway... it's just that. clicks and blips. Extremely short digital audio sounds. Glitches, blips, snappy clicks...
Something like this? Done on a NordLead2.

Wout

Clicks&Blips01.mp3
 Description:
Just a try.
Better to hear it on headphones...

Download
 Filename:  Clicks&Blips01.mp3
 Filesize:  913.04 KB
 Downloaded:  1130 Time(s)

MrJiveBoJingles

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You can try out Coagula:

http://sonicspot.com/coagula/coagula.html

"A given line within the image controls the amplitude of one oscillator at a specific pitch. Vertical position is translated as frequency while horizontal position is interpreted along the time line. Red/left and green/right correspond to control stereo placement. Brighter colors produce louder sounds. Areas of black produce silence. It is possible to set the length and frequency range prior to the conversion (ie: a 20 min. audio file limited to 500.00 to 120.00 Hz)."

For "blips" you can try alternating black lines or patches with colored spaces and setting it to move through the picture in a short time so it goes quickly.
RF wrote:
Some audio programs will open various non-audio files ie. txt or doc files as audio.
Lots of good bleeps and blips...

Here's my Outlook Express address book as opened by Audacity.

I like that one, will have to play around with some files myself.
Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

MrJiveBoJingles wrote:
You can try out Coagula:
http://sonicspot.com/coagula/coagula.html
Better to look here: http://hem.passagen.se/rasmuse/Coagula.htm

Wout
Sam_Zen

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yep, that's the right address of Coagula. There's a Lite version for free with enough possibilities.

Another image to sound converter is Audiopaint

But, as MrJiveBoJingles states, one has to create a dedicated bitmap for this purpose.

So I think there are several workarounds with several tools, so it's more a matter of imagination.
Or, as I call it, 'electronic solfège'.
I've got a CD with a recording of fireworks. Maybe if I speed this up in time, I would have nice ticks and crackles..

edit :
I mentioned vinyl noise. It can be sampled from the track here

Page 1 of 1 [14 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Discussion » Composition
Jump to: