electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » ChucK programming language
Wall of Steel
Page 1 of 1 [24 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 267

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:19 am    Post subject: Wall of Steel
Subject description: Let's make an album
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I want to make an album called "Wall of Steel".

This will be a hard-driving album with bad ass lyrics and overwhelming music. I can't keep it combined to the ChucK forum, but I'm asking for your best. I want deep bass guitar, drums that make your heart pulse, and anything within the confines of mayhem that rocks your soul. Give me your baddest tunes and let me stitch them into an album! I'll be collecting music from various sources to create this album. The album will be released on ocp's netlablel, EdP.

Les

kijjaz

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow! I really wanna submit a song. Let me find some time to make one song for this project.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

kijjaz wrote:
Wow! I really wanna submit a song. Let me find some time to make one song for this project.

kijjaz, my man, i want to krank out this album with you. Let's make it an all-chuck album with kijjaz drums, kijjaz guitars, and plenty of rockin. Your wrk is immortalized in my work, I've been showing off your programs at the EM09 festival this past weekend. Everybody knows and loves kijjaz.

BTW kij, I closed out the show with my winning laptop performance. Howard accompanied me and we used your drum model.

Let's rock my Taiwan man, let's rock! And be friends to the end of time. Rock on kijjaz!

Les

kijjaz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

LOL Taiwan man!! hmm.. ehh actually i got some Taiwan musicians, maybe i'll contact them as well.

Thanks Les, yeah we should collaborate more. And thanks for showing my work there. I didn't thought my work can be of this much use if we didn't meet here lol.

It's so nice you gotta visit and perform at the EM festival! I which I can go to some of those festivals. There are no such thing in Thailand right now. Mostly it's gonna be about music production, or a barcamp-style conference (which is a very nice place for me to show off ChucK and other music synthesis things), and dance music festival. Other than that, there are still no big electronic music festival & workshops yet.

We'd like to host a first electronic music festival / meet-up around here. Maybe not so big = not more than 30 audiences, but we just wanna gather the 'head' of the area first, then spread the activity for more meet-ups.

Hmm.. by the way, on the album, yeah I'd like to do a song from ChucK sounds now hehehe.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, kij, electro-music.com has regional festivals as well. It would be teriffic to have a Taiwan regional festival, especially if you could bring in 30 people. You can pm egw (Greg Waltzer) to discuss the matter.

This Wall of Steel thing sounds like even more fun with you on board, we always have the best collaborations. Actually what I am REALLY excited about right now is the use of this accelerometer board as a music controller. I'd like to make a rock song generator that works under accelerometer control.

In particular, do you know the song "For Those About to Rock" by AC/DC? It has high energy guitar and drums, plus a cannon that fires off. I'd like to make the cannon fire off when I punch the air with the accelerometer mounted on my fist. That would be cool.

Also your thunder is most excellent but it always saturates my speakers plus it's very cpu intensive. I don't mind the cpu since I have a new netbook that is faster than my old eMac, however the clipping just plain sucks. Can we somehow put some dynos in the feedback of your thunder to tame it down a bit?

I also want to do airplane sounds like Jets flying overhead, and other ominous sounding stuff like waving my hand and a sound like some rift to Hell was opened up in the fabric of space-time or something like that. There are many possibilities. If you could choose maybe one of the above mentioned sounds and play with it, that would be a great start to our collaboration. I will do the same.

Best to ya Taiwan man!

Les

kijjaz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hmmm.. haven't listened to AC/DC yet .. but i just got a new cpu-friendly thunder sound for Les. you might want to work on the enveloping of it a little bit more to suite your need (for example, for the attacks and decays needed for your performance).

20091104 kijjaz - mini Thunder 1 0.ck
 Description:
mini Thunder for ChucK programming

Download
 Filename:  20091104 kijjaz - mini Thunder 1 0.ck
 Filesize:  1.35 KB
 Downloaded:  288 Time(s)

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

kij, I added some stuff that dynamically varies your thunder model to create a thunderstorm effect. We now have at least a first shot at some good background thunder as in a thunderstorm. We can add wppk's rain to make a rainstorm. I hope you like it, and maybe tweak it to be even better.

Les

p.s. can we use this or a similar model to create the cannon sound?

20091104_kijjaz__mini_thunder_1_1.ck
 Description:
Modified kijjaz thunder

Download
 Filename:  20091104_kijjaz__mini_thunder_1_1.ck
 Filesize:  1.67 KB
 Downloaded:  295 Time(s)

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oops, i listened more and just noticed a touch of clipping, we'll have to tame it down a little bit more I guess. kij, make any changes you like and I'll roll it up into a class. I suggest we call the class "Thundarr" in honor of the electro-music.com member who uses that nick (his real name is Dave IIRC).

Les

p.s. you just keep making sounds and I'll tidy them up for use in larger programs. go kij go!

kijjaz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Les: Got some updates, i've added some filter frequency mechanism for more varied sounds. I updated the version to 1.0.1, you can put in your name for copyright.

Limiting is also done, but I'm not sure it's the limiting sound that suites your needs.

And are you using ChucK mainly on Mac? Is there a way to route the sound from ChucK through some kind of a software limiter to actually limit the overall sound produced by dac? For me, it's very easy in Linux coz I usually route everything with Jack which I can use Jamin or jack-rack to put in mastering effects and also limiting the overall sound that it won't digital-clip.

20091104 kijjaz Inventor - mini Thunder 1 0 1.ck
 Description:
mini Thunder v. 1.0.1

Download
 Filename:  20091104 kijjaz Inventor - mini Thunder 1 0 1.ck
 Filesize:  1.93 KB
 Downloaded:  300 Time(s)

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

kij, actually I do use the Mac a lot, but now my performance computer is the netbook running XP. The mac has built-in companding or limiting of some sort, no glitches from even your earlier thunder. But the netbook used to glitch like crazy. Since you're on Linux, I'll have to do any glitch tweaking myself.

In addition to using ChucK for this Wall of Steel album, I want to collect great powerful and fun sounds for my next laptop battle performance. I have one of those USB accelerometers that I attach to my hand and I can wave it around and ChucK senses the gravity and G forces. I can then make gestures that control the music. This is how I accomplished the laptop battle performance that won at EM09 festival.

Next year I'd like to do even better stuff with this thing, and these sounds we are working on will be a part of my collection for doing just that. I'll check out your code next.

Les

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

kij, there was a lot of clipping still, so I traced it down to the limiter attack time. it was set for 0::ms and I just changed it to 10::ms and the clipping went away! Smile Oops I just heard a tiny clip while posting this. Ah, well, it's going very well for our little project so far.

I also put a class wrapper around it so we can use it in larger programs.

Next I'd like to look at the possibility of using the same technique you have here to create a cannon boom. Cannons are a lot like thunder I suppose. Or else you can come up with other cool stuff for our project. Just follow your whimsey and we'll get there!

Les

20091104_kijjaz_inventor__mini_thunder_1_0_2.ck
 Description:
No clipping and in a class wrapper - Thundarr!

Download
 Filename:  20091104_kijjaz_inventor__mini_thunder_1_0_2.ck
 Filesize:  2.14 KB
 Downloaded:  276 Time(s)

kijjaz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Les: Done with a first quite-analog-sounding Cannon. It doesn't sound like those in the movies, it's more like orchestral bass drum hahahah. There is a kind of clipping that is there in the sound, but can be filtered out if not desired.

20091105 kijjaz - miniCannon 0 1 0.ck
 Description:
miniCannon v. 0.1.0

Download
 Filename:  20091105 kijjaz - miniCannon 0 1 0.ck
 Filesize:  2.24 KB
 Downloaded:  272 Time(s)

kijjaz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just posted these 2 sounds up to ChucK's wiki:
http://wiki.cs.princeton.edu/forums.html/ChucK/kijjaz-friends-sounds.ck
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

kij, sounds a lot like a cannon, nice work. there is a hint of clipping but not much, I'll try to tone it down a bit. I really like it. One thing: there is a slight bug, your class declaration is not the same as your class instantiation. Maybe you want to fix that on the wiki.

By the way, do you have a 3-axis joystick? I'm going to code these up into a performance application that uses my accelerometer board to trigger the thunder and cannon events. You can test it without having an accelerometer board, you just use a 3-axis joystick.

Next up: let's discuss lightning. What is lightning anyway, is it really just fast thunder? How can we code up some lightning? Maybe it's something simple like a filtered burst of triangle wave or something.

Kudos and awesome job so far, my friend. And please accept my apologies for thinking you were in Taiwan, not Thailand. After all I'm just an ethnocentric American, duh! Smile

Les

kijjaz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh, Thanks Les for pointing me out on my errors. I've corrected the wrong class name in the wiki.

Hmm.. you think it sounds quite like a cannon? I think of some modern (not 80's or 8-bit) cannon sounds in video games, but I just don't know what it'd sound like in the real thing.

The clipping is normal in there. But if you want it to sound more silky smooth, you can decrease the minDur and maxDur, and increase the decay rates a bit to compensate for that. It'd sound smoother, but it'd produce more noise (not clipping but some noise).

Ahhh hahahhh the Taiwan and Thailand thing is no problem. When you think of me, just think of food. Think of Thai Food hahhahahh !! +_+
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kij, thanks for your suggestion of the nature sounds in the chatroom. I downloaded most of them. In addition to our Wall of Steel album, I'm working on my laptop battle performance for next year and those nature sounds will definitely help.

Les

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

kij, I played around with the cannon and made it really loud and realistic. I took out the limiter and put in a SinOsc where the limiter was and then kranked up the parameters. Now it sounds much more like a powerful cannon!

Les

20091105_kijjaz__minicannon_0_1_1.ck
 Description:
a more cannon-like cannon, more powerful!

Download
 Filename:  20091105_kijjaz__minicannon_0_1_1.ck
 Filesize:  2.22 KB
 Downloaded:  218 Time(s)

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

kij, I've got some lyrics for our first song on the Wall of Steel album. They are personal and religious and powerful, just like the album should be. Here they are:

Quote:
The Prayer Machine Broke Down

"Lord why have you forsaken me?"
Said Jesus on the cross
Nails in his hands and gouged in his side
They say the lord was with him

I faced my own crucifixion
A time when I was all alone
No prayer did help me
No word from God came forth

For God he tests you eternally
To see the depth of your faith
Through Hell you'll go and back again
Just to prove your love of Him

I will not play this game of His
No longer shall I accept torture
It's said he will not test you
Beyond your ability to withstand

If that is true, then I must be steel
For the evil that struck me
Was beyond what I could stand
More pain than I could take

The prayer machine broke down

Let me know if you like them, I think they make for a good first powerful song...

Les

kijjaz

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Les, Wow.. that's nice.. you can write the lyrics for this project also. I'm gonna start designing a new overdriven + sustained guitar sound (maybe based on some classic analog synth and some EQing overdriving algorithms). It might sound more synthie than using Mandolin or StifKarp but must be nice to emulate those 70's rock band with synthesizers.

This time i'd like to work more on some more acoustic drum sounds, not just analog drums. I'll spare some of my free time to work on those noisy things hahhaaha.
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah kij, that's exactly what we need! With thunder and cannons we've got powerful rock sounds that I can control using hand motions of my accelerometer, but we need decent guitar and drums. We already have excellent guitar and drums by kijjaz from the past, but if you're prepared to go one better then I'm all for that!

Rock on my friend, rock on!

Les

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wmonk suggested I send noise into an LPF with a Q of 25 followed by delay lines. I tried some variations of this and got some sizzling sounds, but nothing like real lightning. Anyone have any ideas on this? I'll code them up, just want ideas.

Les

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

kijjaz, I combined your modules thus far into a Wall of Steel application for use in generating a song or two as well as for use as a laptop battle program. I'm really impressed with how well it's turning out. I'd post it, but I need to keep the laptop battle program a secret for now, and besides - without an accelerometer the program is useless. Maybe I'll make a recording...

Les

p.s. lightning anyone?

telstarmagikistferrari

Audio files: 43

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

les, you write awesome lyrics my man..
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

telstarmagikistferrari wrote:
les, you write awesome lyrics my man..

Thanks, Telstar - that really made my day!

Les

Page 1 of 1 [24 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » ChucK programming language
Jump to: