electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » How-tos » Production - engineering/mixing
Recording acoustic guitar
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
nobody

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:42 am    Post subject: Recording acoustic guitar
Subject description: Any advice?
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Can anyone give me some advice on acoustic guitar recording? I borrowed a Seagul from my mom to play some parts in my electronica. My only mic is an AKG C 3000 B.
EdisonRex
Site Admin

Audio files: 172

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A C-3000 should be able to do an acoustic guitar fairly nicely. Some people use multiple microphones, but I think you can do fine with a single mic.

What sort of sound are you thinking of having? Close-in gives more presence at the cost of ambience, and going a bit further out will lose presence with a gain in ambience. That C-3000 I should think you'd aim close on the soundboard toward the sound hole, staying reasonably level with the instrument. Not too close though, I'd keep it about a foot to a half meter. Some like to mic really close; but you have to recreate the space around the resulting track, which is fine if you intend to. Depending on the music, you might want a bit more room, especially if recording in a space with nice acoustics.

Home,My Studio,and another view
nobody

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't have great acoustics here - just reasonable quiet most of the time. I'll experiment a bit. I think presence is more important for the song I'm currently working on. I definitely plan to add effects - probably just some guitar sustain compression, flange, EQ, and reverb - and not too much of any of it.
theshaggyfreak

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've been using an Apex 435 on acoustic stuff for a few years now. While it is a cheap mic, I know a number of people who have had a lot of success with them on acoustic guitar. You can pick them up on Amazon for about $60 now. There's also a number of modifications floating around for that mic but I haven't tried any just yet.

I used the Apex on all of the acoustic tracks on this CD. Granted, I was using a cheap Takamine most of the time but it worked out fairly well.

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/communistys

nobody

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks, Shaggy.

Does anyone recommend any specific pre-record EQing? Low cut, high boost, etc.?
EdisonRex
Site Admin

Audio files: 172

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

audiodef wrote:
Thanks, Shaggy.

Does anyone recommend any specific pre-record EQing? Low cut, high boost, etc.?

I try to avoid doing too much EQ pre production, but rolling off any mechanical noise (<100Hz) and then it depends on how crisp you want the guitar, you can adjust to taste.

Home,My Studio,and another view
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » How-tos » Production - engineering/mixing
Jump to: