electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Rob Hordijk DIY Designs
Benjolin / Zeitgeist optional parts
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
zynthetix

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 13

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:13 pm    Post subject: Benjolin / Zeitgeist optional parts Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello all, I thought I'd start a thread that is specifically about optional parts used for the Benjolin, maybe where you ordered them, recommendations and things to avoid.
zynthetix

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So to start it off, I'm almost done with construction with my case, which is made of wood and acrylic plastic.

The 1/4 phono jacks I used are for 'thick' body cases, part number Rean NYS2202. They are sturdy and look very nice. Link I would highly recommend these to anyone who is making an unconventional case of thicker materials (more than 1/8 inch wall thickness).

The next thing I am struggling with is finding 'jumper' wires for the 16 pin pinouts on the board for all of the outputs. I don't know what they're actually called ( hence can't search for them ). I'm also wondering if there are any special cables that have one plug for all 16 pins (going to 16 loose wires, not a ribbon cable). Does anyone have any ideas?
oscilloclast

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

For my benjolin I just soldered wires directly to the connector pins. I rarely use connectors and ribbon except for power connections that will be connected/disconnected a lot.

David
zynthetix

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey David, thanks for the input.

I thought of soldering directly to the pins, but it looks like some tough soldering. Did you use a super thin gauged wire or something like that?

Also I've since found these jumper cables on a robotics web site: Link

They seem like they'll work, but a bit expensive. Radio shack proved useless for this kind of thing, so I'll keep on searching.
Danno Gee Ray

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I used wires I had salvaged out of computers that were being thrown away. The LED and switch connectios to the motherbard are the same size and work well.
oscilloclast

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I cut the top layer of pins off (these are the ground pins) and that exposed the bottom row (which are the output pins) making them easier to solder to. I then soldered a wire to a ground pin on the backside for my output jacks. Doepfer synth modules use the connectors you are looking for (for their power connectors) I would suggest posting a question on the main DIY forum asking for the part numbers for Doepfer style connectors (Doepfer does not make the connectors, they are a commonly available part). Different connectors have different pin spacings so you have to get the correct pin spacing (Doepfer pin spacings should work for the benjolin - just make sure the connector you get has the correct number of pins).

David
zynthetix

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the replies, guys. I've posted the question in the general DIY forum here: http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-38648.html

I'll post back to this thread when I find the definite parts that would be of good use for other people to reference here, where I ordered them, etc.
reidbingham

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here is some good stuff I got from a massive order I placed recently:

All Electronics
33 cent phono jacks! - PHJ-8 (1/4" PHONE JACK, SPECIAL - (PHJ-Cool)
-save some money on all these CV ins and outs

Those are really really nice looking jumpers, but these are really really cheaper:
DHS-40 (2 X 40 PINS SNAPPABLE HEADERS - (DHS-40) )
SHS-40 (SINGLE ROW HEADER, 1 X 40 - (SHS-40))
DIP-36 (2 X 18 DUAL-ROW SOCKET, 0.1" - (DIP-36))
DHR-40 (2 X 40 RIGHT ANGLE HEADER, 2MM CENTERS - (DHR-40))

From Jameco:
Benjolin Power supply - 221702 - PWR SPLY,TBL,REG 50W,DIN-5

Power Jack for Benjolin - 15844 - SOCKET,STD DIN,FEMALE,5PIN,

Power Jack for Zeitgeist - 151555 - JACK,DC PWR,MALE,2.1mm,SE TERM
--this is the standard type guitar pedal jack with switching and worked great.
electri-fire

Audio files: 4
G2 patch files: 4

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

zynthetix wrote:
>Link
They seem like they'll work, but a bit expensive

Those 10 female jumper wires (150mm) were USD $6.95

Google search: "female jumper"

Same jumper wire kit $3.95
http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=8430

Same kit from the UK, £2.69: http://www.coolcomponents.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=199

Shorter (100mm) but usually sufficient lenght, and hey... 50 for $4.99

http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/1-pin-dualfemale-jumper-wire-100mm-50pcs-pack-p-260.html

I don't think I'd be soldering headers to wires at this price.

Disclaimer: Only first Google page. I didn't look at shipping cost etc..

electri-fire

Audio files: 4
G2 patch files: 4

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:40 am    Post subject:
Subject description: Recycle used computer cables
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Danno Gee Ray wrote:
I used wires I had salvaged out of computers that were being thrown away. The LED and switch connectios to the motherbard are the same size and work well.

I've used those as well. I think they're called IDE/ATA Cables. They're used allover on motherboards, CD-ROM drives etc., and can easily be cut to size.

Danno Gee Ray

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Actually, what I used were the 2 wire sets that go from the motherboard to the front panel of the computer. One each for on/off swtch, reset switch, power LED, HD LED...etc. When throwing out old computers, I would save those wire sets with 2 pin female connectors. Eventually I used them in my Benjolin.
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Actually, what I used were the 2 wire sets that go from the motherboard to the front panel of the computer. One each for on/off swtch, reset switch, power LED, HD LED...etc. When throwing out old computers, I would save those wire sets with 2 pin female connectors. Eventually I used them in my Benjolin.

Danno

Thanks exactly what I do. I grab the old computers that our IT department throws away and I yank the PSU and all those nice header connects you speak of. I have stacks of them in my connector bin Very Happy It's good to salvage old electronics and keep them off the garbage heaps and in our DIY boxes.

Bill
Danno Gee Ray

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Creative Re-purposing... Wink
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Rob Hordijk DIY Designs
Jump to: