electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Developers' Corner
How to Choose the right Capacitor
Page 1 of 2 [37 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:25 am    Post subject:  How to Choose the right Capacitor Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Slightly older reference, but still holds it's water. Has some very good descriptions about various types of Caps, and when to use them.

http://home.comcast.net/~wjungieee/wsb/Picking_Capacitors_1.pdf
http://home.comcast.net/~wjungieee/wsb/Picking_Capacitors_2.pdf

For the search engine: cap capacitor choose select electrolytic poly propelyne tantalum polarized

[Edit by Blue Hell: also try http://www.reliablecapacitors.com/pickcap.htm - it seems to have moved]

[Edit by Blue Hell: Uploaded 'm here .. see that post in this thread .. erm .. http://electro-music.com/forum/post-442129.html#442129 .. that is]
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow, that is a great article. I wish I would have read this one years ago. Thanks for posting this. This is practical information you never get in engineering school. Seems this topic is worth making a sticky one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sticky = YES! It'd be nice to keep a well moderated sticky for any reference material like this found to be invaluable.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: How to Choose the right Capacitor Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jksuperstar wrote:
Slightly older reference, but still holds it's water.

That may be the case- but it's bloody hard to read (for me anyway)- which is such a shame Sad

I'm so pleased the internet is here today and this old font hell is left for those remaining who can read it- and people like me can use Comic Sans MS (although I know most type setters HATE comic sans!!)

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
Benjamin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello hello.

The links don't work, which is really a shame since I was hoping to find out what a capacitator is.

Smile
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://waltjung.org/PDFs/Picking_Capacitors_1.pdf I think, there is also a part 2 - found through : http://waltjung.org/Classic_Articles.html the author's web site as it seems.
Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

And now it seems to have moved again, I think (none of the links above worked for me).

I googled to here:

http://www.reliablecapacitors.com/pickcap.htm

/Stefan (who is making his first journey into musical soldering, trying to decode that tantalum capacitor...)

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Antimon wrote:
(who is making his first journey into musical soldering, trying to decode that tantalum capacitor...)

I imagine you using contact microphones to document the sounds made during the construction process ... Laughing

You can post a picture of the tantalum to see if someone else has a clue.

Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
Antimon wrote:
(who is making his first journey into musical soldering, trying to decode that tantalum capacitor...)

I imagine you using contact microphones to document the sounds made during the construction process ... Laughing

You can post a picture of the tantalum to see if someone else has a clue.

Laughing

That's ok, I think I found what I needed. There is so much stuff in here that's probably wrong anyway, so I'll save it for an error tracing session later on. Doing one of Ray Wilson's mini-synths, by the way Very Happy

/Stefan

paults

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

a) the best caps for VCO integrators are polystyrene. Look for Mouser series 23PSxxx.

b) for 'general purpose' caps 0.47uf and under (VCFs, etc) use a polyproplyene. A really good size/cost are the WIMA FKP2 series (also at Mouser) or the Panasonic ECQ-P from Digikey.

c) for 0.1uf bypass, use axial ceramic monolythic, such as AVX SA 'Spinguard' series (SA105E104M) at Mouser.

d) for electrolytics, avoid tantalum like the plague (they fail *shorted*) and use a low ESR, 105C type. I like Nichicon UPW series (Mouser).
meloditech

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:32 pm    Post subject:  Caps Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Also,when going across a power cable tapped off a car or other high current battery avoid monolithic ceramic surface mount caps directly
across the bus...if they are damadged or physically shocked,they can crack internally to where they dont short complety but experience a great reduction in resistance. No blowout,but you have created a minature infraread heater device in the middle of your project's real estate.A fire after the lights are out is quite possible. Depending on your wiring and whether or not you fused,fusible linked or went direct ;you could short out enough harness wiring to intiate a catastrophic failure of your high current source.Lead-acid battery burns are no fun. i work with these high current taken for granted devices and have learned a healthy respect for both their maintenance and use. Please do not wire these types of caps directly across the battery bus.

John 3:16
meloditech

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:35 pm    Post subject: A clarification on my comment Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Some experimenters use batteries for some synth,electro -art sculptures or amp projects. I felt the comments concerning high current appropriate.
John 3:16
gwaidan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi all,

This is another very good reference site...

http://my.execpc.com/~endlr/
3phase

Audio files: 13
G2 patch files: 141

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

just one remark..

for service of vintage modules i started to collect old capaciators from the 50´s and 60´s..

mainly to recap vintage studio modules...

but i realized that some of these big old beasts are very beautifull in synth circuits...

so i recomend to dont throw the old 50´s valve tape machine into the trash without getting the caps out...

of cause you need to test them..but after a few years in this game i can state that caps from 50´s to late 60´s are often in a better condition than the ones from the 80´s.. at least with german gear from that time...
old grundig gearf has often strange time resistance telefunken caps inside...

old measuring equipment is also a source of high quality caps...
at least european stuff

picking the wright cap in a synth circuit very well can be using an audiophil cap..but also can be using a standard shit cap...

they all sound different... and in synth circuits you really hear that..

in the generation of sound details seem to matter more than in the reproduction of sound..

but in the generation of sound also so called bad components can give a nice charakter... while in the reproduction any dirt hurts that might be musical in a synth circuit.

I just wanted to mention that choosing the wright cap is altering sound..and thats worth on special modules to connect a breadboard and have a listen...
can be worth the effort..
picking the wright cap is testing it...
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

3phase makes a great point. We tend to think of capacitors, resistors and inductors as ideal components, but in reality the devices are not ideal. Every capacitor has some parasitic resistance and inductance, and these are, to various extents, non-linear. The same goes for the other parts as well.

It is convenient for us to ignore these parasitics, and in most cases we can get away with it. But even though we can sometimes ignore them, we should always remember that they are there. While the parasitics are quite difficult to measure, they can sometimes be easy to hear. All Ears

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
LektroiD

Audio files: 2
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: How to Choose the right Capacitor Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jksuperstar wrote:
Slightly older reference, but still holds it's water. Has some very good descriptions about various types of Caps, and when to use them.

http://home.comcast.net/~wjungieee/wsb/Picking_Capacitors_1.pdf
http://home.comcast.net/~wjungieee/wsb/Picking_Capacitors_2.pdf

For the search engine: cap capacitor choose select electrolytic poly propelyne tantalum polarized

404 on both links?

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Antimon wrote:
And now it seems to have moved again, I think (none of the links above worked for me).

I googled to here:

http://www.reliablecapacitors.com/pickcap.htm)

That one still seems to work ...

fretless

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
Wow, that is a great article. I wish I would have read this one years ago. Thanks for posting this. This is practical information you never get in engineering school. Seems this topic is worth making a sticky one.

This is a great article. I see it as having at least two valid points

1. In a resistance coupled tube amp the voltage source of each stage is high impedance, so the quality of the coupling cap must be high ($$$).

2. If the source impedance is low, tantalum is OK. This is why the Ibanez Tube Screamer actually works.
fretless

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

----------
so i recomend to dont throw the old 50´s valve tape machine into the trash without getting the caps out...
----------
Nothing is tossed unless it might cause a fire.

----------
they all sound different... and in synth circuits you really hear that..
----------
Tube rolling and cap rolling....

----------
in the generation of sound details seem to matter more than in the reproduction of sound..
-----------
Program EQ vs. source EQ. Program EQ is something that Hirsh Labs would want to measure. Source EQ is measured at the source.

Talkin' about caps and music is talking about "creamy guitar", or Air Studios, or Judy Garland in a field of poppies, oh I digress...
beep

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Does Anyone still have the PDFs? I get only 404.

400 nanofarad. lol.

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've just added the following note to the first post in the thread :

[Edit by Blue Hell: also try http://www.reliablecapacitors.com/pickcap.htm - it seems to have moved]

Wink

beep

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanksalot.

the butler looks inviting.

JovianPyx

Audio files: 224

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://www.musicsynthesizer.com/txt/caps2.txt

Another capacitor reference (FAQ).

Time flies like a banana.
Fruit flies when you're having fun.
BTW, Do these genes make my ass look fat?
corruptio optimi pessima
rogerlatur

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Is it ok to use 50v caps in place of 25v caps? For instance 1uF 50v instead of 1uF/25v and vice versa?

Of course I will read all documents about capacitors linked here to know about the subject, but I am ordering right now and wondered as I also have some stock with other voltage values.
rogerlatur

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Found this evening the answer to my question (could have search a bit more before asking !):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCSNWi3UHf4

Now what I don't understand is why using 25v when 50v can handle more voltage ? I mean why not always using a capacitor with the highest voltage value ?
Page 1 of 2 [37 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Developers' Corner
Jump to: