electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Soft synths
CS80-V
Page 1 of 2 [26 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mohoyoho

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 9:04 am    Post subject: CS80-V Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A friend and fellow member of The Amaranth Signal just received his purchase of Arturia's CS80-V. I want one. What a great sound. Just going through the presets you hear hear movie soundtracks. It reeks of Vangellis and Zimmer. I have never owned nor even seen a CS80, so I am unable to compare them. My poor middle-aged eyes have a hard time reading the GUI, but the effort seems worth it. The sounds are very distinctive and musical. Have any of you out there had a chance to try one out?
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
http://cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck2
http://www.limitedwave.com/subterraneous/
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have tested it. I know the original very well, so I guess I might buy the Arturia clone soon. yes.. the sound is pretty good and it s pretty much a better version of the original when it comes to stability ( tuning ). There are some other threads about the CS80 here somwehere. The playablility.. keyboard wise is of course not like the original and this might disappoint many. Anyway.-.. a great instrument. And a lot more more useful than the original. I have a joke about the CS 80 in the friday jokes thread..

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

here it is:

Synth repairman: I've come to tune your CS 80
Synthesist: But we didn't send for you.
Synth repairman: No, but the people who bought your last LP did.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Mohoyoho

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cute.
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well.. yeah... not exactly.. many previous owners of CS 80s are still on heavy medication...

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Mohoyoho

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Did you own an original CS80?
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

How did you guess? Shocked Very Happy Cool

Yeah, I did. The CS 80 was a lovable, cuddly synth with great promise. I really love it.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
cybermooks

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have a CS80 and although the CS80V sounds nice it doesn't sound like it. The other thing is that the CS80 is one of the most playable synths ever made, a real hands-on joy, and I don't think you get that with a VI.
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cybermooks wrote:
I have a CS80 and although the CS80V sounds nice it doesn't sound like it. The other thing is that the CS80 is one of the most playable synths ever made, a real hands-on joy, and I don't think you get that with a VI.

I played a real CS80 in July. It really is something fabulous to play. The touch sensitivity is very special. It's pretty heavy though... Rolling Eyes

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
paul e.

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
Well.. yeah... not exactly.. many previous owners of CS 80s are still on heavy medication...

well, that explains a lot.... Very Happy

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks... Shocked

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
cybermooks wrote:

I played a real CS80 in July. It really is something fabulous to play. The touch sensitivity is very special. It's pretty heavy though... Rolling Eyes

The CS80V does sound CS80ish even though it isn´t completely dead on. It will do just fine I think.

I agree about the performance side of the original CS80. That is mainly why I couldn´t quite see why anyone would ever make a softclone of it, because it is a performance instrument.. not a rack module. Owners of the CS80V are missing out on the very essence of the CS80.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
cybermooks

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Of course a real CS80 has some disadvantages: it weighs 250 lbs. (100kg) and is very hard to move. When you do move it it can go out of tune and has to be retuned. Basically it is something you have to put in one place and leave it there. It is also very expensive.

The CS80V will do if you are only occasionally going to want the sound, and it will be part of a mix. However if one were to use it frequently, and use the controls nothing can substitute for the original. There is no midi, no CV so you basically are forced to play this like an acoustic instrument. Sometimes that can be an advantage as you are forced to focus on playing it as an instrument rather than a sound generator.
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cybermooks wrote:
Of course a real CS80 has some disadvantages: it weighs 250 lbs. (100kg) and is very hard to move. When you do move it it can go out of tune and has to be retuned. Basically it is something you have to put in one place and leave it there. It is also very expensive.

The CS80V will do if you are only occasionally going to want the sound, and it will be part of a mix. However if one were to use it frequently, and use the controls nothing can substitute for the original. There is no midi, no CV so you basically are forced to play this like an acoustic instrument. Sometimes that can be an advantage as you are forced to focus on playing it as an instrument rather than a sound generator.

Yup, you are right! I guess you already saw some of my comments earlier in this thread. I have the CS80V and I love how it sounds. It can make excellent CS80ish sounds and that will do for now. However, my point is that a huge part of the appeal of the original Yamaha monster is its very performance oriented design.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
paul e.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i just had good news recently

the fellow i share a rehearsal space with his bringing in 'this crazy old, heavy weird 70's synth thing'..he does not know what it is

it is a cs80

i will offer to load it in for him...perhaps convince him that it is indeed very 'weird' and he should sell it to me for ..cheap Cool

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Shocked

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I would say it is best that these end up in the hands of people that appreciate them. If he doesn't know what it is already, he probably isn't the best person to own it. Good luck...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Mohoyoho

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I started this thread, and I thought I would report that I never did get the CS80V. Maybe someday. I did end up with Arturia's Moog Modular V, and I simply love it. It reminds me of a flight simulator, and it has really aided me in sound design. With most of my synths advanced modulating was buried in menu pages. The MMV has everything out front. I can see why so many synth-heads love the modular systems. In addition I have rediscovered step sequencers. (No, I don't think I'll start becoming a Berlin school guy) The MMV has given me a better understanding and appreciation for my other synths like the Waldorf Q.

I think Arturia has great sounding synths. Instead of just simulating classics, I wish they would come up with a synth of their own design.

cybermooks

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes original synths would be nice. I personally don't go for emulated anything but rather something new and different.

Actually Arturia do have a few synths of their own, inside Storm, although they are on par with the program and nothing special.
paul e.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

or..mhh

maybe i could acquire the real cs80 for a steal, then re-sell it to someone who recognizes the vintage value of a real analog monster..unweildy as it is

... then use that cash to buy a new computer with the cs80 soft synth and the arturia moog modular softsynth to boot .. Shocked Very Happy

but...do i go mac or pc ?

software Virtual Analog?..

or do i go hardware VA like G2 ?

in one post i just summed up all the hot topics on this board hehehe

ok i promise to stop causing trouble

cybermooks

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You definitely go hardware VA, like the G2, Creamware, the upcoming Virus TI, etc. You don't have to overload your processor and they generally sound better.

The Mac has a better OS for music, but there are more programs and VIs available for the PC. To the extent that Apple keeps adding things to Logic that knock out what others have produced, fewer companies are going to bother with the Mac in the long run. I use both; Macs for midi and recording, PC's for sampler and VIs.
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

paul e. wrote:
or..mhh

maybe i could acquire the real cs80 for a steal, then re-sell it to someone who recognizes the vintage value of a real analog monster..unweildy as it is

This is one extremely unique art object. You aquire such a piece never to evet let it go again! The CS80V is NOT a good emulation of the instrument. Soundwise it is pretty OK indeed, but you will figure this out when you try out the synth! Play the instrument, and tell me what you think.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
cybermooks

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very true. I'd never sell mine.
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Shocked

I did Embarassed

God will punish me!

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
I did Embarassed

God will punish me!

Hmmm... I guess we need a "Talk to God" forum so you can get forgiven.

Page 1 of 2 [26 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Soft synths
Jump to: