electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » News... » Apple Computers
It's... the iPad!
Page 2 of 8 [185 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Next
GovernorSilver

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow, that's only the 50th time I've seen that video posted, since 1pm EST yesterday.

Some old stuff on VIRB
BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I actually laughed out loud to that one.
GovernorSilver

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's another visual gag you will see posted online 50+ times in many different places. Enjoy!

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Some old stuff on VIRB
DrJustice

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

GovernorSilver wrote:
Wow, that's only the 50th time I've seen that video posted, since 1pm EST yesterday.

Sorry if you were offended. Not all of us hang out at 50 Apple forums...

I guess we don't need this thread either, there's probably 50000 of them on the net by now Rolling Eyes

DJ
--
GovernorSilver

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DrJustice wrote:
GovernorSilver wrote:

Sorry if you were offended. Not all of us hang out at 50 Apple forums...

I guess we don't need this thread either, there's probably 50000 of them on the net by now Rolling Eyes

DJ
--

Not offended at all. Just laughing at the humor I perceive behind the humor - the viral spread, the race to be first to post certain things, etc.

Upon reflection, I could see how I could have offended you, and for that I apologize.

Some old stuff on VIRB

Last edited by GovernorSilver on Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
DrJustice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ah! I see... It's not as if the net is lacking in iPad content Very Happy

DJ
--
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:
I was willing to pay $3000 though

Give it to me instead! Idea Very Happy

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
pyrosonic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:
I was willing to pay $3000 though

I believe if you get the optional "Modcare" extended warranty it'll bring it up to right around there. Laughing

Seriously though,I think Apple was the victim of a "hype bubble."
Everybody expected it to be the NEXT BIG THING.
People forget that even Apple has ideas that don't fly from time to time.
Maybe this is one of them and maybe it isn't.Time will tell.
I think it's more of a flop for its intended market than for the niche market that many of us are a part of,but I may just feel that way because I don't like to read stuff off a screen anymore than I have to.

That video reminds me of a backpackers trowel called the ipood.They used to advertise it as "The perfect thing for backcountry downloads"
They're not saying that anymore,I wonder if they got a nastygram from Apple's legal dept.

Andy,I'm curious,why do you think the Lemur's days are numbered?

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Whorlweaver/133469163426410
ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

pyrosonic wrote:
I wonder if they got a nastygram from Apple's legal dept.

I guess Apple will have trouble ever getting into robotics, the IROBOT would be a lawsuit waiting to happen.
varice

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 54

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ian-s wrote:
pyrosonic wrote:
I wonder if they got a nastygram from Apple's legal dept.

I guess Apple will have trouble ever getting into robotics, the IROBOT would be a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Laughing Very Happy Laughing Very Happy Laughing Ian, that is really funny Exclamation

Reminds me though - I have'nt played my Alan Parsons Project / I Robot CD recently... into the CD player it goes Exclamation

Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
If I had an iPad
I wouldn't need a Jazzmutant

opg

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think you're right. This is just one of many "next big things." Don't forget about 3D television! That'll be the next step for computers, I guess. My theory has always been: Whatever people think will be in the future (you can see it all in our sci-fi movies and cartoons), will be in the future. First photos, then color photos, then film, then film with sound, then color film and sound. Cars, airplanes....I'm still waiting for my hoverboard and Jetsons flying car! Cool

As for computers and TV, I think it is every nerd's dream to have the Princess Leia hologram video:

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I agree OCG...it's amazing how many people refer to touch screens by a movie they've seen...such as "oh, that's just like the thing that was in that Tom Cruise movie, Minority Report"...ughhh. We limit our own future Sad

However, if this could be a replacement for a Lemur at some point, I'm ALL IN. Never owned an Apple product before, and think this is absolutely useless for the market's it is intended for. However, for my music gear? ooohhhh....
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Definitely a replacement in the long run I would have thought.
DrJustice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Of course the Lemur is also about the software. A side effect of the iPad may be a contribution to lowering prices for multipoint touch screens (unless Apple has some scheme to keep it exclusive...). Dell is supplying multipoint touch screens for an added GBP 60 or thereabout for some of their models (a Lemur beating potential, I'd say). This technology is bound to come down in price and become more widely available.

DJ
--
robsol
Stream Operator

Audio files: 495

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm biding my time on this one. There is a lot of similar products in the works, and I have a problem with the lack of physical interconnectivity on the iPad.

To me this looks like a market research release from Apple. They are dipping their toe in, or are trying to entice the crowd with a product that will look out of date in a couple of years, at most. If not, then I might get one.

For the moment they have the market cornered with their brilliant ability to create hype around themseves. Hats off to them for that, no hint of sarcasm at all. As a business, they do well.

Sure, it looks fantastic and has great potential as a music tool. I'm sure that developers will jump on it and make potentially new instruments and interfaces for it.

This is, however, nothing more than a larger version of the ipod/phone, and remains, as so well pointed out on CDM, closed. Sure, I still want one - right now - but I think I will resist temptation and wait to see what else comes our way. In any case, this is a good time to be an electronic musician. Smile

GovernorSilver

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So far, the only online community that I saw in which reaction was overwhelmingly positive is the iPhone game developer community. They are excited about the larger screen size and faster processor.

Some old stuff on VIRB
abstraktor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, It's a big ipod touch. Not particularly revolutionary in its concept, but will gain poseur points in trendy cafes for iZombies. Apple dont need an advertising campaign, when there are so many gullible punters out there who do their product pushing free for them.
Sorry to be a dissenting voice in all this gushing hype, but Apple still will make more revenue from the disposable culture of ipod and royalties from itunes and apps, than it will make from the ipad.
I use macs every day, and have a friend who once was an official apple tech, but a steep fall in the build quality and hardware design of their machines has ended that honeymoon. I have used a true multi-touch table (made by the evil M*cr*s*ft empire) and the potential is massive, but in the mean time I'll wait for a large jazzmutant to appear, with open source OS.
There are landfill sites the size of cities full of broken ipods and notebooks...
and ipads will be there soon, believe me. grrrrr Twisted Evil
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have to disagree, the iPad will be extremely successful, fancy a wager?
abstraktor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bobtd
of course it will be successful, but that's not the point I'm making. Apple junkies will lap 'em up (ouch!). So, no I wont take you up on that bet....
ab
opg

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This will always be one of my favorite Onion articles:
http://www.theonion.com/content/news/apple_claims_new_iphone_only

"Apple Claims New iPhone Only Visible To Most Loyal Of Customers"

Very Happy

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

abstraktor wrote:
Yes, It's a big ipod touch. Not particularly revolutionary in its concept, but will gain poseur points in trendy cafes for iZombies. Apple dont need an advertising campaign, when there are so many gullible punters out there who do their product pushing free for them.

That's a very negative comment, Calum. As for being a "big iPod Touch" and "not very revolutionary", does that really matter? My biggest complaint about the iPod touch is that it's screen was too small. I think this quote from the SketchUcation forum really sums this rather tired old "big iPod" (sorry) statement up;

Quote:
And what's with the idiocy about "it's only a big iPod touch"? Are people on this forum - mostly *designers* - really not aware of the difference in effective functionality that changing size can cause? The bigger screen allows different usage modality to that of the iphone/touch. A still bigger screen - say 30" - would allow still others and would prevent some that are convenient with a 10" screen.

Exactly my thoughts too.

The 'revolutionary thing' is that the iPad has is that bigger screen! Many of the apps present on the appstore are limited by this very problem. There are some great drawing and CAD apps on the iphone (not to mention music apps- ever tried programming Sunvox on an iPod Touch?), that I don't use anymore, simply because the screen is far too small. Heck, the iPhone is a PHONE not a computer! Originally Apple didn't intend apps to be developed for the iPhone, and you know what? They were right! I really only use the apps supplied by Apple, and the others I just tinker with now and then. "Things" the GTD app and "Weather Pro" are about the only apps I use from the appstore on a daily basis. I don't really play that much with NLog or Jusato, simply because of the screen size. In a way you could argue that the revolution has already begun, and the iPad is only the next stage of the project.

As an architectural assistant and photographer (what I do as a job), the iPad's possibilities are huge- way bigger than that of another PC tablet or whatever. It's small enough to carry about in a shoulder bag/ camera bag, yet versatile enough to be used as both a digital sketchbook as well as a digital portfolio. I've been dragging around my old Daler portfolio as well as laptop, and this will do away with all of that, as well as saving myself money on paper and ink (and my ageing back problem!). I haven't got time for posing in cafe's, anyway, the coffee in these places is usually too expensive. Wink

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

opg wrote:

"Apple Claims New iPhone Only Visible To Most Loyal Of Customers"

I didn't quite get that article, but AFAIK, out of everyone that I know who owns an iPhone (apart from me), here in Birmigham, and there are a lot of them, use Windows Vista or 7, and come from PC backgrounds.

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is quite revolutionary;

http://www.9to5mac.com/Apple-goes-youtube-3479814

Basically the iPad, like the iPhone, won't use Flash, but that may not be such a bad thing, because there is this new technology coming along called HTML5- which is demonstrated on the above YouTube page (who said Apple and Google had fallen out with one another?). Flash is too processor intensive (apparently- well I know, cos Flash always fucks whatever browser i throw at it- or as it seems).

pyrosonic

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Muied Lumens wrote:

To me this looks like a market research release from Apple. They are dipping their toe in, or are trying to entice the crowd with a product that will look out of date in a couple of years, at most. If not, then I might get one.

Look at it this way:If it fails you can still get one in a couple years and it'll cost less on ebay than a new Ipod Touch. bom

Quote:
Sure, I still want one - right now - but I think I will resist temptation and wait to see what else comes our way. In any case, this is a good time to be an electronic musician.

Yeah,me too most likely,I'm tempted,but I usually like to wait for get the 2nd generation of any device.

I couldn't agree more that it's an good time to be doing EM,very exciting.

That was a very insightful article BTW (or was it inciteful?) Smile
One thing that was mentioned (in the comments after that article,I think) was the possibility of a multi-touch usb peripheral. THAT would rock.It would actually be pretty stoopid for them to not see the usefulness of that.
I'm sure this is only the first step regardless of whether it succeeds or not.I'd bet there's a Mac tablet in the future (or not,what do I know?)
It'll be VERY interesting to see what the next 2 or 3 years hold.

abstraktor: I know what you mean about the build quality,they sure don't make 'em like they used to.

opg:You can have the flying car,I have enough trouble dodging the Iphone engrossed fellow commuters in 2 dimensions. Rolling Eyes Wink

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Whorlweaver/133469163426410
Page 2 of 8 [185 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » News... » Apple Computers
Jump to: