electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Developers' Corner
Analog Synth Help
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Hahnium

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:09 am    Post subject: Analog Synth Help
Subject description: I'm building my own and need help with the arpeggiator and other MIDI info
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Everyone!

I'm in the process of building my own analog synth and need help with the MIDI control and the arpeggiator. I'm trying to put it together for 6 Voices, with CV in on certain monophonic parameters as well as Pulse width. Now, as well as the arpeggiator, I need help with assigning the voices for 6 voice polyphony, as well as being able to have a 2 octave keyboard.

Even just Note In + On/Off would be useful.

Now if anyone can help here, it would be appreciated. Patch memory is not one of the essentail feature I want to add,
but it would be nice. The patch display just has to be a 3 number affair, as I don't want to go overboard.

Also, all Oscs, filters, Amp, and Envs are doing to be discreet components, as it is easier for me.

This must seem like a lot for a beginner, but without poly or MIDI controlled parameters, this would be easier.

For patch memory the following need to be controlled :

- Arp On
- Arp Pattern
- Arp Octave
(I need some help adding this section)

- Osc 1 Octave, Shape and Pulsewidth
- Osc 2 Octave, Shape, Pulsewidth and semitone
- Osc Mix (This is going to be a slider)
- A Ring Mod and pitch knob for both oscillators
- Lowpass and Highpass Frequency and Resonance (Again, the frequencies of the filters controlled by sliders)
- Two ADSR generators (Both selectable between Lowpass Filter Cutoff and Highpass Filter Cutoff and amount knob)
- Amp selectable between Env1 or gate.
- Mono mode, and Poly Unison between 1, 2, 3 and 6 voices.

Any help, advice links etc would be exhaustingly appreciated.
kkissinger

Audio files: 42

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: Analog Synth Help
Subject description: I'm building my own and need help with the arpeggiator and other MIDI info
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hahnium wrote:
This must seem like a lot for a beginner...

Hi, Hahnium. What you've described is an advanced project that combines hardware, software, Voltage-control, and MIDI. You definitely have an idea in your head about what you want your synthesizer to do. See if you can divide your project into a series of small, manageable steps.

My advice would be to start off by building something simple -- along the lines of a one-note-at-a-time synth that is entirely voltage-controlled (without MIDI). You could include a sequencer on your synthesizer to implement arpeggiation.

You could then add a MIDI to CV converter (Paia makes a good kit for this) to control your synth from a computer, MIDI controller, or MIDI keyboard.

By the time you do that, you will have a better idea of how all the pieces fit together and you will be able to develop a detailed spec and block diagram for your polyphonic synthesizer. In fact, as you go through this process, your ideas will evolve.

In other words, don't try to do everything at once -- divide your effort into simple steps. Even the most complicated synthesizer is built a module at a time.

Good luck!

slugger

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just something to keep in mind... if you want 6 voices in a discrete-component analog synth, that means building 6 of everything which contributes to a voice.

Also, here are some links which I've found useful (fellow noob here):

Experimentalists Anonymous schematic archives
Music From Outer Space
Squidoo Build-A-Synth links
CGS modules
E-music DIY

Also, this very site has a fine links index.

metal_head_82

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Perhaps you shoulkd start with building a completet voltage controlled module and use this little thing here:

The Doepfer MTV16
http://www.doepfer.de/MTV16.htm

They also offer some other modules. But as a starting point for MIDI this thing seems quiet right.

fengland

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 11:00 am    Post subject: midi/arpeggiator Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hahnium,
I agree - start simpler. Usually arpeggiation is used to simulate chords on a monosynth, so I'm not sure why you want it on a polysynth or how it would work.
I built a midi to cv/gate interface with arpeggiation built in for my little modular using an atmel avr attiny26 microcontroller and an r2r resistor dac - it works pretty well. I can give you the avr C code if you're interested.
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Developers' Corner
Jump to: