electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » How-tos
Mac vs. PC for music production
Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Electrica

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 6:39 am    Post subject: Mac vs. PC for music production
Subject description: How to Choose a Computer for Music Making (Part 2)
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

For those who are wondering whether to get a Mac or a PC, we did a nice (long) comparison here:
http://en.audiofanzine.com/computer-music/editorial/articles/mac-vs-pc.html

If you are interested in Part 1 of this article series, we covered the basic system requirements for music making here:
http://en.audiofanzine.com/computer-music/editorial/articles/Music-Making-with-a-Computer-Part-1-.html
DrJustice

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The links aren't working. Perhaps the fault is related to this.

DJ
--
Electrica

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for reporting this. But unfortunately, the problem is deeper.

BSO (our administrators) had a major network problem with US IPs this week-end. It looks like it's a very big bug because it will only be completely fixed by Thursday although their teams in NY are working on it. So certain IPs are being blocked...

Sorry about this! Though I assure you the article is very interesting when you are finally able to access it! Arrgghh!
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 96

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I can get there from here (Kansas, USA).

IOW the link is working for me. Smile

DrJustice

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's also working from Sweden now.

DJ
--
Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 267

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The article contained this statement:

Quote:
If your budget is limited and below $1000, buy a PC and forget the MacMini.

I chose the Mac mini. For me there was one major deciding factor: audio routing. With the Mac you can use Soundflower or Jack to route audio between hardware and software components. There is no satisfactory audio routing solution for the PC. I struggled for months to accomplish this on a netbook and gave up. By contrast, the Mac mini is an excellent solution for me, so I disagree with the above quote.

Les

LektroiD

Audio files: 2
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I switched over to Mac in 2006, and at risk of being flamed, I'll boldly say this is the best money I've spent this millennium (next to my Nord G2 & Moog LP).

I now regularly use a Macbook Pro (dual graphics / unibody) and in the studio, a Mac Pro (8 core).

I have a PC, but it rarely gets switched on.

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Electrica wrote:
Thanks for reporting this. But unfortunately, the problem is deeper.

BSO (our administrators) had a major network problem with US IPs this week-end. It looks like it's a very big bug because it will only be completely fixed by Thursday although their teams in NY are working on it. So certain IPs are being blocked...

Sorry about this! Though I assure you the article is very interesting when you are finally able to access it! Arrgghh!

You may like to know that the MacMini makes a great little server too!

http://www.macminicolo.net/index.html

So it seems, not only do you have a knackered website, but you also talk a load of bollocks too! Laughing

PS Mac Mini owner and proud! Cool

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here (and I'm rattled now! Twisted Evil ). This is my shambolic desktop. Note the collossal size of that Mac Mini in the corner. Hark! Hear that roar of PC fans coming from the back of it- NOT! Rolling Eyes Razz

my desktop.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  135.75 KB
 Viewed:  383 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

my desktop.jpg

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hahahaha wicked Mac mini setup man. I have mine running into an old HP tube-style monitor at 1280 x 1024. It's crude but it works for me and was free since I already had it. Next I plan to add a second monitor around December or January.

Oh, and I can run PC applications on my Mac mini. I'm preparing to run Windows 7 and some PC-only software on that. And yeah, the quietness is great for doing radio shows. Now the chair squeaking is my next loudest ambient noise, lol!

Go Mac mini!

Les

Rykhaard

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Reading these last few messages, grew my desire / temptation. The major killer for me though, is the cost. Sad Just, not enough money.

But ... just had a new idea. Liz WANTS me to get a Minimac. (She knows I can't afford it.) Wonder though, if she'd temporarily finance a portion of it. Surprised

Les - your mention on the audio portion, were the BIG attraction. I'm off now to see if there's Mac support for my new Yamaha Audiogram 6 and new M-audio MIDIsport 2x2. Smile (It's thanks to that pair mainly, that I'm actively composing again for the first time, in over 5 years. Surprised (1 ambient piece going and a punk tune started.)

Edit: Yup. OS-X drivers for both. HMMMMM. Surprised
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Rich, do you need a new Mac Mini? Why not get an older one? The Intel versions with the Intel GMA950 graphic cards go pretty cheap these days, and you can pick a G4 up for next to nothing. Both are still great computers.
Rykhaard

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
Rich, do you need a new Mac Mini? Why not get an older one? The Intel versions with the Intel GMA950 graphic cards go pretty cheap these days, and you can pick a G4 up for next to nothing. Both are still great computers.

After my initial impulse on the Macmini - Liz brought me to Apple to check into their 'refurbished' section. That's where she got her new / refurbished powerhouse for DIRT cheap! Surprised Blew me away when I hooked the thing up for her and saw the speed / graphics. Surprised

Power tho V. That's my main desire for my DAW. Like my 6 1/2 year old crip., I want a machine that will last me 5+ years like the crip. did. Hence - power desires.

Just off the horn with Liz. She suggested trying her new machine. I could plug my new gear into; DL drivers ... would have to go and get the OS-X version of Reaper ... Mmmm. This could be something to look into. Smile
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Rych, I got my Mac mini for something like $675 including taxes and shipping and a dongle for my VGA monitor. Then another $30 for a wireless keyboard and mouse, and I was good to go for $705. But then I already had an OK monitor.

The processor and RAM in this Mac mini are powerful enough for all my busy programs and CPU hog applications on top of that, and I can even run Windows 7 on it, so I get PC apps AND Mac apps. If you want a mochine that will last you 5+ years, a Mac mini is worth considering for sure.

Les

Rykhaard

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Inventor wrote:
Rych, I got my Mac mini for something like $675 including taxes and shipping and a dongle for my VGA monitor. Then another $30 for a wireless keyboard and mouse, and I was good to go for $705. But then I already had an OK monitor.

The processor and RAM in this Mac mini are powerful enough for all my busy programs and CPU hog applications on top of that, and I can even run Windows 7 on it, so I get PC apps AND Mac apps. If you want a mochine that will last you 5+ years, a Mac mini is worth considering for sure.

Les

Surprised You just inspired me off to Apple to look in their Refurbished section - 2 Macminis. 2 gig of RAM; 160g HD ... $499. Surprised Liz's told me to try out her's first. I'll give that a whirl and see how it 'feels'. Smile
Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » How-tos
Jump to: