electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Soft synths
Tassman on sale for $99 - is it worth it?
Page 1 of 1 [23 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
SynthasaurusRex

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:52 pm    Post subject: Tassman on sale for $99 - is it worth it? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

... thru the end of July. http://www.applied-acoustics.com/

I know next to nothing about this soft synth. A friend bought it and implied it was a no-brainer for $99. I'm playing with the demo right now.

Who can speak up for it? Any better samples of its sound than what's on the website? I would mostly be interested in programming instruments on it, not so much for noise/50's sci-fi sound effects. Currently I have a Voyager, Andromeda and a Virus TI2.

Thanks,

Stephen
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

$99 is a very fair price indeed. That that money I would buy it anyway. I recently plugged my Nord Modular in again, and after a quick play with my patches, all the memories came flooding back.

My only reservation though, is that I spend my whole life working with bloody computers, and when I make music (like when I take photographs), I want to disassociate with a computer as much as I can. Therefore I would probably only buy the Tassman, for those moments when I need to tinkle with something non-work related during breaks between work!

It's a bargain! Buy it! Very Happy

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Tassman is brilliant. I can recommend it without any reservation.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello Stein! Smile
IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thinking about it, I think I know why Tassman's price has dropped...

....There's a new, cheaper and more capable (will be), kid on the block...

Jasuto AU and VST!

Chris 'Hemicube' reckons Jasuto will cost between 5 and 10 dollars to buy.

Now that IS a bargain! Cool Very Happy

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Tassman is a pretty mature product. Is it reasonable to suggest that Jasuto makes Tassman obsolete?

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's a good question.

I'd say the reason that Tassman has survived the test of time, is because of its interface- it's simple and looks and behaves like a Moog, or at least a close approximation (silver in appearance). And, is fairly bug-free (unlike that VST Moog modular that bombed). I just wish that Tassman could do sampling too. (Or maybe it can?). Jasuto is very capable of all that, and is somewhat simple to use. I think the next version of Jasuto will be really interesting (Jasuto Studio). Very much looking forward to that.

However, Jasuto or no Jasuto, $99 for Tassman is still a bargain! Have both!! Very Happy

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well.. OK.. the interface kinda looks like a Moog Modular? No it doesn´t, but that isn´t really the point anyway. Did you by any chance check out stuff like the Tassman resonators by any chance? Very Happy Please do.

Tassman has a personality you might find yourself compatible with.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh here we go. Causing trouble again! Laughing

Where I mean it looks "like a Moog". No of course it doesn't actually-look-like-a-Moog, as such, but if you put Tassman alongside Max/MSP or Supercollider for eg, it does look more like a Moog! (Or Nord Modular- if you like?! Very Happy )

Very Happy

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
Oh here we go. Causing trouble again! Laughing

Where I mean it looks "like a Moog". No of course it doesn't actually-look-like-a-Moog, as such, but if you put Tassman alongside Max/MSP or Supercollider for eg, it does look more like a Moog! (Or Nord Modular- if you like?! Very Happy )

Very Happy

beer

..and then.. did you check out stuff like say the Tassman resonators? And then consider what you can use these for? Very Happy

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nevermind the resonators, I'm trying to get the bloody sequencer to play me some notes, before I have reached the 20 minute demo time limit!! Twisted Evil Laughing
SynthasaurusRex

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for your input gentlemen, I think I will have to take them up on this offer. I would like to try the editor first, though. The included patches are awesome, but I want to see if this is the "playground" I'm hoping it is.

-Stephen
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So what do you think? Very Happy Is the Tassman any good?

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
SynthasaurusRex

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

On second thought, I'm going to pass on this one. The sounds are really good, but right now I don't have the time to spend on another synth. Thanks for your help anyway.

-Stephen
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

SynthasaurusRex wrote:
On second thought, I'm going to pass on this one. The sounds are really good, but right now I don't have the time to spend on another synth. Thanks for your help anyway.

Shocked

Pass? It's £60 man!!! That less money than a Behringer guitar pedal! No "time"? How long does it take to press the PayPal button??? Get a sense of proportion! You could even replace one of your hardware synthesisers with the Tassman, and make a profit! Laughing

Reconsider your actions! Idea Very Happy

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Shocked

It´s lunch time and I´ve administered 3 double espressos and they are kicking in now. So.. I tend to agree with Tom. bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce too much coffee too much coffee too much coffee too much coffee too much coffee too much coffee

Get Tassman.

bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce too much coffee too much coffee too much coffee too much coffee too much coffee too much coffee

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
fac

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is very appealing. I've always wanted to buy either Tassman or VAZ Modular, which IMO are the most analog-sounding modular softsynths out there. But I already own a mid-sized dotcom modular and an expanded Nord G2, and barely have time to use them, so buying Tassman might be just too much....

... on the other hand, if it is really good, I could sell the G2 and put that money towards another dotcom cabinet Smile

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Actually, I do have a rather cute dotcom rig myself, and 2 Clavia NM-1 modulars.. as well as the Arturia Origin. And I think the Tassman fits in perfectly. Could it replace a G-2? Probably.. to some extent.. possibly, but it depends on how you use your G-2.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
SynthasaurusRex

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
SynthasaurusRex wrote:

Shocked

Pass? It's £60 man!!! That less money than a Behringer guitar pedal! No "time"? How long does it take to press the PayPal button??? Get a sense of proportion! You could even replace one of your hardware synthesisers with the Tassman, and make a profit! Laughing

Reconsider your actions! Idea Very Happy

Alright, based on your and Stein's impassioned pleas Very Happy I will reconsider. I'm not saying I'll buy it, but I will reconsider. Here are some observations I made with the demo that gave me pause:

- The editor seems hard to manipulate. With all those blocks overlying the wires, and the wires bending in unexpected ways, it's very difficult to see how things are connected. Am I missing something here? Is there a "clean up this mess" button?

- As with all soft synths I've tried on my system, the latency is annoying - I have to use 45 mSec on Tassman to prevent audio breakup. I know that's not Tassman's fault but rather some shortcoming in my system, but it still makes it hard for me to use.

Going off to reconsider now. salut

- Stephen
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

SynthasaurusRex wrote:
The editor seems hard to manipulate.

Yeah the editor sucks .. they should look at what Clavia did ... not only is it an ugly looking mess, its not clear what terminals are good for (takes ages for the informative hint to appear), its impossible to hit the connectors with the mouse (faster hints would help there too) and the split edit/play mode is just ... silly ... looking at the panels I have no idea what I'm doing with all the wires being hidden away Shocked

I made a sort of nice noodle thingie anyway ... before I fucked it up Laughing so its fun, and it seems to execute efficiently on the mac (my fastest laptop currently, so seemed a good idea to buy it for that).

First impressions .. after an hour or so .. maybe more later.

Winstontaneous

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just purchased Tassman last week and am quite impressed. I already have a number of very capable synths both hard (Alesis Ion) and soft (VAZ Modular, Reason, Camel Alchemy, Sync Modular, Nord Modular demo/editor).

The Tassman has its own thing going on--especially with aftertouch assigned, I feel like I am manipulating sound from the inside as I would on an acoustic instrument. The Physical Modeling patches by Harm Visser are incredible--there's one that uses modwheel input as a bow--it's very expressive.

That said the separate Builder/Player view is frustrating, as is the fact that the Builder doesn't tell you at first glance which modules correspond to the panel. Plus many PM patches get really loud really quick--a master-section limiter would help. For more typical analog sounds I find VAZ much easier to use. Also, reading the AAS forums it appears that the development of Tassman has been rather slow. We'll see if this changes now that Reaktor 5.5 offers Modal Synthesis (the PM method used in Tassman).

By the way AAS has extended the $99 Tassman deal through August!
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Winstontaneous wrote:

By the way AAS has extended the $99 Tassman deal through August!

Have they? That's really good news because I've been quite broke this month. I need to put some shit on eBay (I want an iPad!!).

Perhaps I'll flog my Speak and Spell? The one I bought for 5p? Sell it for £150!! Laughing

BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

To cheer myself up I got this today.

Anyone know how to turn the bloody smoothing off on the pitchbend as it makes it hopeless when played with midi guitar (unless you like annoying glides that is)?

Cheers

Andy
Page 1 of 1 [23 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Soft synths
Jump to: