electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » NM Classic (NM1 or G1)
Nord Micromodular Power Supply
Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
James D

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:05 am    Post subject: Nord Micromodular Power Supply
Subject description: Could someone please advise
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello there,

I can't find a forum dedicated to the Micro Modular, but I suppose this is the next best place.

I have been having problems where the Micro resets itself if the lead to the power supply is moved or knocked slightly. I'm thinking that it's something to do with the power adapter and would like your opinions on what would be a good substitute.

Thanks for your time,
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi James. Could be a dry joint on the board, or it could be a knackered socket. My advice, before splashing out on a new PSU, is to take it to someone who is handy with a soldering iron Smile

Very Happy

Tom

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
James D

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Tom,

Thanks for getting back to me. I'm afraid the only person I know with a soldering iron is me, which doesn't bode well for the poor micro :]

Do you know of anyone who would take a look at it? I'm not sure where to get these things serviced.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Where in the UK are you?
IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
James D

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm in Northampton
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So near but so far! (well 60 miles down the road!). I could have fixed it for you. Try using another PSU, and if that doesn't do anything, you will need to replace the socket (which isn't as bad as it sounds).
James D

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well thank you for considering it Tom.

I'll hang about and see if anyone has an opinion on a replacement power supply, though I'll try and have a look around the area and see if anyone's got the know-how to test it fully.
drapdap

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Nord Micromodular Power Supply
Subject description: Could someone please advise
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

James D wrote:

I have been having problems where the Micro resets itself if the lead to the power supply is moved or knocked slightly.

ah, that's just the cable of the psu.
the original micro adapter is a common +9v center positive. get a new one.
they break easy, they are made to break easy at the base where you plug it into the synth, so you buy a new one. the power socket on the micro is quite rigid, hard to kill.

(what i do, i change them while they are good to better, more flexible, durable cables, than stop worring...)

r.
James D

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks drapdap,

I'll look into 9v supply and take it from there.
cappy2112

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

James D wrote:
Thanks drapdap,

I'll look into 9v supply and take it from there.

Don't buy the cheap ones (What's the UK equivalent of Radio Shack?) - they are sure to be noisy.

Roland and possibly other companies who make audio gear which require low voltage DC power supplies may sell better quality ones, that are designed to be low noise or noise free.

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cappy2112 wrote:

Don't buy the cheap ones (What's the UK equivalent of Radio Shack?) - they are sure to be noisy.

Erm... I've never had a problem with cheap ones, except they don't last as long. My wife has gigged all over the world (including Russia and Poland), with her MicroModular and she had to use whatever PSU she could get her hands on! I did once buy her a really expensive PSU, but even that fell apart. Sad

The UK equivalent of Radio Shack, was ahem Radio Shack (or Tandy), until they were closed down by Carphone Warehouse. Or new equivalent is Maplin- which are just as shite as Tandy were! Laughing

James D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks again for the advice guys - yeah, Maplin has a good range of products.
cappy2112

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
cappy2112 wrote:

Erm... I've never had a problem with cheap ones, except they don't last as long. My wife has gigged all over the world (including Russia and Poland), with her MicroModular and she had to use whatever PSU she could get her hands on! I did once buy her a really expensive PSU, but even that fell apart. Sad

Perhaps you were lucky. The wallwarts made over there may use better components. Many of the ones here are (or used to be) fairly noisy.
It all boils down to mfg costs.

James D

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It seems that Tom was right - replacing the power supply didn't cure the problem - though it does seem a tad more stable.
Muzik 4 Machines

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

so my micro modular just decided to not power up

i tested 3 other working PSU
i opened it up and tried to apply power directly to the solder pins of the power jack, nothing

are these known to just blow?

could that be just the big input cap that is dead?

it was working fine, i power cycled the whole rig and then nothing, no lights Sad

any help would be appreciated

is the big black thing next inline of the power socket on the board a fuse?
Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » NM Classic (NM1 or G1)
Jump to: