electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » electro-music.com » electro-music 2010
The Dust Sessions
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Acoustic Interloper

Audio files: 89

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:04 pm    Post subject: The Dust Sessions
Subject description: Speck of Dust and Crater Dust
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here is my Speck of Dust, along with Steve Bowman's Crater Dust, with Crater Dust performed by:

Steve Bowman
Richard Lainhart
Mel Morley
Dale Parson

Thanks, Steve, for the invitation to collaborate! It was great. I can't wait to get a quiet half hour with no work in queue some time this week, and get to listen to Crater Dust with no other activities.

Phobos has a great live mutilated version of Speck of Dust over here.

Thanks, everyone. It was a wonderful weekend.

Dale

acoustic_interloper_em2010.mp3
 Description:
Speck of Dust, Dale Parson, Electro-Music 2010.

Download
 Filename:  acoustic_interloper_em2010.mp3
 Filesize:  23.57 MB
 Downloaded:  1663 Time(s)

CraterDust_em2010.mp3
 Description:
Crater Dust, Steve Bowman, Richard Lainhart, Mel Morley, Dale Parson, EM2010

Download
 Filename:  CraterDust_em2010.mp3
 Filesize:  25.32 MB
 Downloaded:  1728 Time(s)

modulator_esp
Stream Operator

Audio files: 275
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Two great sets Smile
Acoustic Interloper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

modulator_esp wrote:
Two great sets Smile

Thank you, Jez. Speaking of which, I meant to thank you above for being the conduit in distributing these and many other recordings from the weekend. That's a double thanks to Jez.

Take care.

Dale

modulator_esp
Stream Operator

Audio files: 275
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Speaking of which, I meant to thank you above for being the conduit in distributing these and many other recordings from the weekend.

Thanks Dale, it made sense to me Smile

ThinAir

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dale, my honor to share this music with you and Mel and Richard. And thanks JEZ for the hookup to the .wav file of my performances. I just listened to Crater Dust and heard how spacey it sounded to the audience. I know it sounded good while playing it. A few times while performing I just stopped and listened and enjoyed the twisting, throbbing sounds.

I'd love to hear from others who heard our Crater Dust, either live (it was LOUD, exactly as I had hoped) or streamed or from this download. How did it sound?

If there's any interest, I'll post the "score" to Crater Dust, so others can play it. It's does follow a formula that isn't too hard to pick up.

Steve

www.DelicateMonster.com
Acoustic Interloper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ThinAir wrote:

If there's any interest, I'll post the "score" to Crater Dust, so others can play it. It's does follow a formula that isn't too hard to pick up.

Steve

I think that is a very good idea. I always have enjoyed reading the "score" to pieces like In C -- it opens another perspective on the piece for listeners and potential performers.

Take care.

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

After hearing the PHOBoS remix I'm listening to acoustic_interloper_em2010 (original).

Great set! Had heard it on the stream before of course, but ... had a lil music overload then I guess Wink

Thank you for posting it.

about 4 more hours in the backlog, on we go!

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

CraterDust_em2010 is very nice too!
Acoustic Interloper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
CraterDust_em2010 is very nice too!

Thanks for listening and your posts, Jan Very Happy I just got my quiet time to listen to Crater Dust, and enjoyed it very much as a listener. A lot of nice texture and breathing space in that piece and performance.

For Speck of Dust my first observation is always the clinkers I hit on the banjo (or guitar in other cases), but having heard even Philip Glass hit some clinkers at a performance here a year ago, I don't obsess too much about it.

The thing that makes me most happy is the versatility that Scrabble-to-MIDI has shown over the space of the last 15 months, growing out of the chess-to-just-intonation program's concepts of late 2007. Scrabble-to-MIDI has been through 3 solstice performances plus em2010, and it feels open ended, especially with new features always in the work queue. Mel Morley requested point-and-click startup, external synths, and save-restore for the music generator config parameters back in May at Pocono Skies, and I got them done in time for em2010. He just requested loading the letter bag with "cheat words" just after I found a need for that (my students and I are demoing for our university's trustees in 2 weeks -- we want the game to ask for funds Twisted Evil ). What I like most, though, is that I can see ways to use letters, words, phrases, clauses, and discourse at multiple levels of hierarchy, not only up into higher levels of composition, but also down into the substrate of sound design as well. I am really hoping to get a Pacarana on a grant this year.

I am also hoping to get my son Jeremy to attend em2011 with me and duet. Getting Sierra from "Ordinary Machinery" to co-compose and fly in to perform would be a real coup. We'll see.

Anyway, thanks for the ongoing feedback and encouragement of the last few years. This is a blast, and a great way to be spending creative energy.

Take care.

Dale

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just heard this Spec Of Dust recording on the radio.electro-music.com stream. Wow, Dale, that's really fantastic. Congratulations on a really fabulous work.

I must have missed your set at the event. Too bad. But I'm really glad I got to hear this today.

BRAVO
wave wave wave

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Acoustic Interloper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks, Howard, your words warm my heart love You were working the stream just before this, probably got pulled into some other work. Always a wonderful, busy weekend!

I can't wait until classes are done soon and I can jump back into making some new music, Summer Solstice for sure. Jeremy is doing an independent study in computer audio this summer, so we'll play a duet.

Hope you are having a good Sunday. I've made this my first day of zero work since the semester's start, just hanging out here on the couch playing with the iPad. Downloaded some apps tody, if you have any goodies to recommend, I'd be happy to hear.

Thanks again. Have a good week.

Dale

Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » electro-music.com » electro-music 2010
Jump to: