electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Les Hall's Projects including eChucK
The Physical Modeling eChucK DIY Project
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 267

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:38 pm    Post subject: The Physical Modeling eChucK DIY Project
Subject description: Converting computer models into analog form
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

After thinking about the concept for a while, I realized that the same techniques I have used to implement the Karplus Strong algorithm as an analog circuit can be applied to many physical models of musical instruments. I see this as an emerging category in the modular synthesis category: physical instrument models.

For example, what if a modular synthesizer owner could just patch in a flute model and have a flute in the performance. Or a Trombone or a woodwind, etc. It's already done with drum machines and perhaps other instrument models and earlier pioneers in modular synthesis have performed exactly this stunt by wiring up modules. The next step, i feel, is to offer specialized circuit boards that perform like real instruments, or at least like models of real instruments.

The technique that I've been working with is simple. First I make a ChucK software model of the proposed circuit, being careful to use only analog hardware implementable programming constructs. This includes delay lines, multipliers, VCOs, VCFs, summing and difference amps, etc. Then once the software model is complete I convert it to a circuit board schematic, breadboard that, then have circuit boards made. The result will hopefully become a new line of modular synthesis products.

Attached you will find my first wind instrument ChucK model, the blown pipe model. Both source code and audio test file are attached. I plan to develop additional software models in this fashion and select one for the first design. Please feel free to modify the software models, change parameters, and generally play around with them. I encourage you to post any comments or suggestions you may have.

Les

Blown Pipe Demo 2 20100323 0124.mp3
 Description:
Blown Pipe Demo 2

Download
 Filename:  Blown Pipe Demo 2 20100323 0124.mp3
 Filesize:  802.04 KB
 Downloaded:  1561 Time(s)

Windy3.ck
 Description:
ChucK source code for Blown Pipe

Download
 Filename:  Windy3.ck
 Filesize:  1.8 KB
 Downloaded:  1041 Time(s)

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I should also post two of my web references in doing this so you have the whole picture. Here is an excellent web page written for the G2 with algorithms that I am translating into ChucK form:

http://electro-music.com/pm_tutorial/Index.htm

And here is a historical reference point, an article about Ron Berry who has apparently done all of this kind of thing already, just not in custom circuit board form:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/1997_articles/jul97/ronberry.html

Enjoy!

Les

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here is the result of this morning's programming, attached below. It is a simple blown pipe model with actual voltage, current, frequency, and delay calculations that describe the electrical signals on the board. Play it as is and you'll hear what sounds a heck of a lot like someone blowing into a pipe. This sounds promising, now to figure out the more complex flute model...

Les

BlownPipe3.ck
 Description:
Blown Pipe model that sounds a lot like a blown pipe.

Download
 Filename:  BlownPipe3.ck
 Filesize:  2.79 KB
 Downloaded:  1011 Time(s)

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've done some more modeling based on the G2 modeling web page and arrived at a passable flute model in ChucK, posted below. The quality of the sound is very sensitive to the gain values which must be tuned to produce the desired sound. Also if the low pass filter is lowered too much, the thing wails in feedback oscillation, ouch! So there is much to learn before prototyping a circuit.

Flute1.ck
 Description:
The basic flute model in ChucK

Download
 Filename:  Flute1.ck
 Filesize:  3.03 KB
 Downloaded:  1019 Time(s)

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I ended up recoding the Jet function X^3-x and suddenly the flute really came to life! I must have had an error in the model. Attached is the latest flute ChucK file and an audio sample.

Les

Flute2 Demo 20100323 1623.mp3
 Description:
Flute2.ck demo

Download
 Filename:  Flute2 Demo 20100323 1623.mp3
 Filesize:  1018.37 KB
 Downloaded:  1501 Time(s)

Flute2.ck
 Description:
Flute2.ck

Download
 Filename:  Flute2.ck
 Filesize:  3.11 KB
 Downloaded:  965 Time(s)

Dan Lavin

Audio files: 21

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah, the higher notes sound especially flute-like
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Dan, and a huge thanks to all those who contributed to this body of knowledge. All I'm doing here is implementing their designs in analog circuit board form.

I added vibrato which was easy, and I've created a block diagram of the Flute modular synthesizer circuit board. It corresponds closely to the software so hopefully it will work properly.

Les

FluteBD.pdf
 Description:
Flute circuit board block diagram

Download
 Filename:  FluteBD.pdf
 Filesize:  11.86 KB
 Downloaded:  953 Time(s)

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh, and I must thank Chet Singer for the web page and G2 model describing the algorithm, of course.

Les

electri-fire

Audio files: 4
G2 patch files: 4

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Inventor wrote:
I ended up recoding the Jet function X^3-x and suddenly the flute really came to life!

Yes, the Flute2 Demo 20100323 1623.mp3 is way better than your first mp3.

Your block diagram is rather more complicated than I expected. Me and my friend Rix made a very nice flute patch on his clavia G2, the main feature being noise as the sound source, and a key tracking resonant filter. Velocity was patched to resonance. With low velocity we got a lot of blow noise, as we "blew" louder the self oscillation of the filter increased the pitch component of the sound.
Well, it's been as while ago, but I think we also had a velocity to Envelope depth to resonance, but it was a fairly simple concept really, not a VCO in sight, and it turned out very expressive and natural sounding.
frijitz

Audio files: 54

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Inventor wrote:
I should also post two of my web references in doing this so you have the whole picture. Here is an excellent web page written for the G2 with algorithms that I am translating into ChucK form:

http://electro-music.com/pm_tutorial/Index.htm

And here is a historical reference point, an article about Ron Berry who has apparently done all of this kind of thing already, just not in custom circuit board form:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/1997_articles/jul97/ronberry.html

Enjoy!

Les

I worked on analog PM a bit also. Look Ma, no BBD!
http://home.comcast.net/~ijfritz/pm_over.htm

Very Happy

Ian
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Neato Ian! Thanks for sharing!

Les

jeff-o

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very cool. Maybe once I'm finished with my laser guitar, I'll have to build a laser flute! Wink
Dan Lavin

Audio files: 21

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ian Quoted:
Quote:
I worked on analog PM a bit also. Look Ma, no BBD!

Shocked
Ian, you obviously have way more patience than me! That's awesome!

Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Les Hall's Projects including eChucK
Jump to: