electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
USB PORT BROKEN (G2 ENGINE)
Page 1 of 1 [22 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
gomidas

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 6

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:17 am    Post subject:  USB PORT BROKEN (G2 ENGINE)
Subject description: G2 hardware usb broken (MAC & WIN)
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My engine usb is not workin anymore, no hardware detection on windows, and nothin in mac either....
What should I do? Confused

Thanks
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:24 am    Post subject: Re: USB PORT BROKEN (G2 ENGINE)
Subject description: G2 hardware usb broken (MAC & WIN)
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

gomidas wrote:
My engine usb is not workin anymore, no hardware detection on windows, and nothin in mac either....
What should I do? :?

Some others had this problem too and had to bring in their G2 for repair. You should go to the shop where you bought it first.

gomidas

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Blue Hell

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm sorry, and always in fear it will happen to mine as well ...
gomidas

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am addicted to Nord Modular and will miss my engine the time of the repair(I hope that the shop will find a way to repair it)...
Fortunately I have another G2 engine and a Nord Classic Key to keep on working..But I fear for my other engine too..let's cross fingers Cool

Thanks Jan for your compassion angel
gomidas

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

R.I.P G2 ENGINE...price of usb repair = price of the G2 Evil or Very Mad

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
dorremifasol

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 49

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Too expensive I would say...

Have you contacted Clavia about this?

Keysandslots

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dropped my G2X recently, the only issue was a broken USB port. If you're not in too much of a hurry I'll be taking mine apart in a couple of weeks to try fixing it myself and can let you know how it goes.

You can probably get the USB port itself from Clavia, although I'm going to try and find something standard on the 'net. These people may have something (http://www.assmannusa.com/forums.html?main_page=index&cPath=5_101) but I won't know until I get the keyboard apart.

Randy
gomidas

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Keysandslots wrote:
Dropped my G2X recently, the only issue was a broken USB port. If you're not in too much of a hurry I'll be taking mine apart in a couple of weeks to try fixing it myself and can let you know how it goes.

You can probably get the USB port itself from Clavia, although I'm going to try and find something standard on the 'net. These people may have something (http://www.assmannusa.com/forums.html?main_page=index&cPath=5_101) but I won't know until I get the keyboard apart.

Randy

OK COOL... I just have to rest a day or two, because I am kinda Shocked
I think tomorrow will be a better day to start thinking about a DIY solution...
Thanks Keysandslots I surely will need some help in the near future to solve this...
If anyone knows the price of this 'MAIN??' board, please let me know...but
Dorremifasol I don't think the shop lied to me, what will be their interest by doin this? But I still HOPE you are RIGHT Wink Thanks 4 helping Dorremifasol Cool
dorremifasol

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 49

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Maybe they are not lying to you but it seems that they want to charge for an entire board replacement and not only for the pieces needed to fix the USB port.

They interest may be that they always charge an additional percentage of the real price, say for example 20%. Then 20% of 800€ is more than %20 of 150€.

Keysandslots

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've ordered 1/2 dozen of these:

http://www.hvwtech.com/products_view.asp?ProductID=709

which is what is on the G2X, and I have removed the boards and removed the broken USB port from the board. Now I just need to wait a few days, and then hopefully fix this thing. Notice the price is quite a bit less that what you were quoted. I'm hoping these also fit the Yamaha S90.

See if you can get yours apart and figure out the type of port. If it looks like one of those, let me know and I'll send you one. Oh, and obviously this is only going to work if the port is broken, which is what I think is wrong with mine (the plastic bit in the centre had broken off). If there is a problem with the board then I'm afraid this is not going to help.

Randy
gomidas

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Keysandslots wrote:
...Notice the price is quite a bit less that what you were quoted.

Indeed Laughing

Quote:
...If it looks like one of those, let me know and I'll send you one.
Randy

WOW!COOL! I am going to check it right now

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP Very Happy

BTW I have emailed Clavia about my problem and get... NO RESPONSE Evil or Very Mad
Keysandslots

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's done and it works. I'll admit to being a bit nervous about de-soldering the original USB port and re-soldering the new piece but I hooked it back up and it works!

A bit of time and a couple of dollars in parts. Happy happy, joy joy.

Randy
gomidas

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's a great news Very Happy
You did it!!!!!!

So, I should try that too.But I must buy a soldering machine.
What kind of equipment do you use to achieve this?

If you still have one of those 'magical' usb things, here is my email mikou.p@gmail.com send me your address I will be happy to send you few € and my physical address so that you can send me one of those 'pieces of heaven'... Wink
Just hope I'll be as good as you at soldering Wink

Randy!I'm so happy for you Wink
nishanthjoyson

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

so did you get it fixed gomidas? i think i have the same issus
gomidas

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi, I didn't have the time yet to do it, I was busy with a new job(@ the mixing deck in a Jazz Club!nice!), but i definitely want to do it soon, I'll let you know if it works, I must finish some work before with the sounds already inside...

HAPPY HOLIDAYS
kslight

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey I realize I'm digging up an old thread but my G2 engine has this issue now as well (must have been in the last couple months?). Disappointing because I've always treated it rather well...but just out of curiosity how difficult is it to replace the USB port? Is it really likely necessary to replace it, maybe just needs resoldered? I'm very handy with a soldering iron but have never messed with a USB port and haven't cracked open the Nord to see what I'm getting into, just wanted to see what everyone's experience is... I'm assuming Clavia doesn't care since they don't support it any more.
synthlab

G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I was working on some things in my rack and then I noticed that the USB light wasn't on. Oh crap... not the USB port.

I pulled the G2 Engine out of the rack to see if I could hold the USB plug one direction or the other to see if the light would come on. No dice. I tried killing the editor and opening it up again. Still no joy.

OK, I was a synth tech for a dozen years... time to open it up. With the lid off you can see that the USB jack can wiggle around quite a bit. The 4 connections come from the middle of the jack down to the board. You would think that would keep the solder joint from breaking so easy.

...unscrew everything, take the board out, look at the bottom. The 4 pins look like they are in good shape, but I'm sure that it's a very multi-layer board. Could be broken on an internal layer...?

Heat up the soldering iron, Weller temp. control set to 650 degrees F. Flow a little bit o solder on each of the for pins. I push on each pin to the side just slightly while I'm heating it to make sure it's getting hot all the way through... couple seconds each pin.

Put the board back in, screw everything down, connect the short ribbon to the power supply. I tested the G2, but it still didn't seem to work.

I could use the "About this Mac" under the Apple icon. Hit "more info", then USB... AH Ha,The computer can see the G2! Why doesn't it work?

Hmmm... restart the computer... IT WORKS!!! I'm not doomed to no editor. Now the real question is, did I need to go through all that or, in my case, did I just need to restart my computer. Who knows? Who cares? It works.

Opening the Engine, taking the main circuit board out and resoldering the USB jack is pretty straight forward. If anybody wants me to talk them through that operation, let me know.

whew... that scared me to death!
maitilupas

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

synthlab wrote:
I was working on some things in my rack and then I noticed that the USB light wasn't on. Oh crap... not the USB port.

I pulled the G2 Engine out of the rack to see if I could hold the USB plug one direction or the other to see if the light would come on. No dice. I tried killing the editor and opening it up again. Still no joy.

OK, I was a synth tech for a dozen years... time to open it up. With the lid off you can see that the USB jack can wiggle around quite a bit. The 4 connections come from the middle of the jack down to the board. You would think that would keep the solder joint from breaking so easy.

...unscrew everything, take the board out, look at the bottom. The 4 pins look like they are in good shape, but I'm sure that it's a very multi-layer board. Could be broken on an internal layer...?

Heat up the soldering iron, Weller temp. control set to 650 degrees F. Flow a little bit o solder on each of the for pins. I push on each pin to the side just slightly while I'm heating it to make sure it's getting hot all the way through... couple seconds each pin.

Put the board back in, screw everything down, connect the short ribbon to the power supply. I tested the G2, but it still didn't seem to work.

I could use the "About this Mac" under the Apple icon. Hit "more info", then USB... AH Ha,The computer can see the G2! Why doesn't it work?

Hmmm... restart the computer... IT WORKS!!! I'm not doomed to no editor. Now the real question is, did I need to go through all that or, in my case, did I just need to restart my computer. Who knows? Who cares? It works.

Opening the Engine, taking the main circuit board out and resoldering the USB jack is pretty straight forward. If anybody wants me to talk them through that operation, let me know.

whew... that scared me to death!

ahahah
that one was funny

A tip for all of you:

Use a voltmeter
sebber

Audio files: 3
G2 patch files: 33

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi, having suffered a broken USB port I came across this old thread. Two things:

- the link to the USB port hardware doesn't work anymore. Does anybody know which product that was?

- The Voltmeter. How to use it? Simply checking if some current is flowing in the USB port?

voltage control

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

- The Voltmeter. How to use it? Simply checking if some current is flowing in the USB port?[/quote]

Hi Sebber. The easiest way to check your connections is to use a multi-meter that can measure resistance (ohms). That way, you don't have to power up the synthesizer. You can use the meter to check for continuity between the pins inside the USB jack and points on the circuit board (away from the jack) that connect to the jack by means of circuit board traces.
sebber

Audio files: 3
G2 patch files: 33

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ah, like this. Personal bad news: the hardware USB port works Sad
Page 1 of 1 [22 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: