electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » How-tos » Production - engineering/mixing
how to?: phaser (w. example)
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Distraction

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:42 pm    Post subject:  how to?: phaser (w. example)
Subject description: assistance needed in dissecting a phaser setting
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hi everyone

don't mind my low post count, i've cherished these boards for their vast knowledge and advice for ages, just never really participated first-hand in any discussions.

however, after many hours of scouting around here, the net and some simple trial and error on my machines, i've been unable to figure out one pesky little goal i've had. it involves a phaser identical (hopefully) to the one used in the track linked below...
"faithfull (original mix)" - fantom
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kb1jkUs48pU

i'm not entirely unsure how to reach similar to this exact sound. it's a 2 bar phase, the lo shelf seems to be around 5/600Hz and the hi shelf around 10kHz, give a little possibly.

i've heard these gentlemen used some ams dm 2.20 phasers back in the day... however, they're around 2000 quid each, IF you can find them and IF they're working. so currently, i'm using logic studio 9's phaser, which i've grown quite fond of due to it's incredible transparency yet ease to add a bit of colour/flavour to the mix and its phase by messing with the mix/wet amount, feedback, etc.

also in logic is the ringshifter which is also quite nice. i've tried combining the two to no avail, using separately, etc., etc.

any help on this subject in dissecting the phaser in this track and getting as near as possible to this phase would be a dream.

thanks so much, and regards to all!
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The Boss phaser sounds like that. PH-1?

Personally I don't like that sound, I much prefer my sound to be richer- like the Guyatone phasers or the Shulte Compact.

You don't need to spend £2k to get that sound.

Good luck! (and don't forget to experiment! Cool )

Tom

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
Distraction

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@tom, thank you very much! excellent observation.

i've watched a number of video demos this morning & afternoon on that pedal and it's really convincing that it indeed may be the one.

part of what i may be hearing in any differences is what it sounds like to send disco samples through the pedal rather than a clean guitar...

i'm guessing the rate on this pedal is controlled in Hz w no option for tempo sync?

definitely headed out soon to see if any of the shops around here have specifically this.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

FWIW, Boss' SE-70 could also produce very similar phaser sounds, and hundreds more too. It's very much worth getting an SE-70. They were brilliant!
IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » How-tos » Production - engineering/mixing
Jump to: