electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Sequencers
What's your Favorite Sequencer?
Page 1 of 2 [29 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
monads

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:35 am    Post subject: What's your Favorite Sequencer?
Subject description: vintage, modern, both and/or why
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So what have you used and like? I'll start it off:

P3 - Midi Sequencer
Had it for a while but didn't like the menu diving. Very powerful but didn't suit my work flow.

Schrittmacher - Midi Sequencer
Love the big screen, easy to program and use. Negatives are updates...there are none! and there is no real song mode for chaining long sequences Crying or Very sad It's still a joy to use.

MC-4 - CV Sequencer
I can not live with this guy in modularland. Timing is dead accurate, you get the 4 channels and can score to your imagination with those channels. Drawbacks for some might be the programming (10key), results are not immediate, it's big/bulky and has no memory save (not an issue with an MP3 recorder). MC-4's are also hard to locate.

TB-303 - CV Sequencer
Not a dedicated sequencer per say, but you can use the CV & Gate Out for sequences. I haven't explored this option much, but seems functional.

Your PC/MAC - Midi Sequencer
Had to mention this one Wink

That's pretty much what I'm familiar with. Midi sequencers aren't so much a problem interfacing with analog gear as you can use a midi/cv converter. Curious to see what others have used and/or are currently using. Anyone use the ARP Sequencer?
BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

How about an Octopus:
http://www.genoqs.com/forums.html?option=com_content&view=article&id=19&Itemid=48
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The early Roland MCs are very cool as you say,. if I misunderstood correctly.

The cute little Roland CSQs are great too. These are easy to patch with whatever else you have there and the step time mode is extremely useful.

And:
http://synthesizers.com/q960.html
http://synthesizers.com/q961.html
http://synthesizers.com/q962.html
http://synthesizers.com/q963.html
http://www.synthesizers.com/q119.html
Solid stuff!

And:
The sequencers in the NM-1 are quite nice too.

And:
http://www.five12.com/n2.html
Brilliant!

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That Numerology looks good, just downloading the demo..

There is a version 3 now.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Where's our very own Klee? Shocked Evil or Very Mad Rolling Eyes

Reason; Because it is unique, there is nothing else like it out there, it writes the ideas for you, and best of all, it was a joint collaboration by members of this forum! Cool

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mines in a box in many pieces!
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:
just downloading the demo..

Good luck! Be warned though, you'll be crying into your beer soon especially when the bill for your imminent RSI treatment bill comes through the letterbox! Laughing

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:
Mines in a box in many pieces!

Shocked What you have mines in a box??? Shocked Laughing

So is mine Embarassed - it's easy not to solder when you have YouTube Embarassed Embarassed

modulator_esp
Stream Operator

Audio files: 275

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've got some of my best stuff done using the P3 so I guess it is my favourite. There is too much menu diving it is true, but I find it is just about worth the effort
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
Where's our very own Klee? Shocked Evil or Very Mad Rolling Eyes

Reason; Because it is unique, there is nothing else like it out there, it writes the ideas for you, and best of all, it was a joint collaboration by members of this forum! Cool

Actually, I have two unfinished cabs each with a Klee here.. slow progress. The Klee is brilliant and even more brilliant than it is possible to put into words when combined with the dotcommie sequencers and Numerology.

However, personally I tend to think of the Klee as an advanced interactive stepped event generator ( AISEG ?) and not quite something that is appropriate to just label as a plain sequencer.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh, that came out wrong. The Klee is brilliant on its own of course.

I meant to say that from a modular synthesist´s viewpoint obviously one of the first ideas that comes to mind is to sequence (of sorts ) the Klee.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
kkissinger

Audio files: 41

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The Klee is the first thing that comes to mind.

I built my first Klee last summer and have a second one that is 75% finished.

I view the Klee as a real-time-composition device -- to call it a step-sequencer would be to understate it's capability.

monads

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:
How about an Octopus

Definitely. I've only briefly played with one though so don't have enough background to comment.

Heard of the Klee but never used.

I'm sure the new Sequentix Cirklon will be killer.
abstraktor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

rather than start a new thread, I thought this one might be the place to ask..

I want to add a dedicated analogue/cv gate sequencer to my modular set up. I'd rather use a standalone -because I dont want to have to buy another case for a eurorack module, so I've been looking at the oberkorn from AnSol and (of course) waiting...and waiting for the Doepfer Dark time to gather reviews or (gasp) even a release.
I'd love a Klee but haven't the time or skill to build one. Vintage ARPs, Rolands and Korgs are too expensive, so I'm stumped.
Does anyone have any suggestions or feedback on the oberkorn?
Kind of off topic, but I downloaded the try out of the Klee VST on my mac for transfer to a xp pc, but I'm getting increasing problems with corrupted data on usb sticks between platforms. sinister. Crying or Very sad
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Have you tried Numerology?

You could use a secondhand Mac Mini.

Actually, a mac mini is quite useful for a lot of stuff. It is easy to open the cab and connect a larger/faster drive instead directly. And you can easily improve the life expectancy of the device by adding better cooling and such. And It easily fits inside a modular synth cab.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Numerology is not really possible to recreate in a meaningful fashion using current sequencer modules. You would at least need several rooms full of modules before you get even close . A serious rig with a mac mini, a display , Numerology and interfaces will soon be far less expensive than a couple of 96x style sequencers and the necessary utility modules.
It is of course quite possible to combine analog sequencers with Numerology. That´s what I´m doing here.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I forgot to say that Numerology works fine with the Novation Launchpad.
Numerology can also feed Motu´s Volta.

http://www.five12.com/t-volta.html

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
abstraktor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Numerology looks cool, but the last thing I need is another computer in the apartment (2 macs, 2 pc's already). And although Volta and Silent Way seem attractive, I really want to generate sequences "on the fly" and off-line before I hook up clocks to the DAWs. Kilpatrick Audio's pattern generator was interesting me , but I've decided not to expand the eurorack just now -mainly because of the case issue - and space.
I tried out Noatkl but it didnt suit my workflow, which is why I'm looking for something which has more of a directly conntrolled randomness (if you know what I mean).
Trying to break a writers block!
thanks for the feedback though....
I still havent started on my WSG build yet, so the Klee would end up as even more parts sitting in cartons on the kitchen table. Embarassed
GovernorSilver

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

abstraktor wrote:
Numerology looks cool, but the last thing I need is another computer in the apartment (2 macs, 2 pc's already).

If you already have a Mac, you don't need to buy another one to use Numerology, unless I missed something in your post.

Although I already own Numerology, I'm intrigued by the new software version of Klee.

Some old stuff on VIRB
fengland

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mpc2000 classic - it's the heart of my studio.
I like old amiga tracker interfaces too.
Dougster

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sometimes I think I should change my user id to "sequencer junkie"... Heehee!

I'll add a couple to the list. First, my favorite sequencer is strictly DIY, but if you can handle a soldering iron, you just can't beat the MIDIbox sequencer! Maybe the new Cirklon will compete, but I haven't had a chance to try one yet. I have two P3 sequencers, and they're very capable, but I find the MIDIbox sequencer is more immediate and has similar power.

The Dopefur MAQ16/3 is a fantastic little sequencer. Easy and quick, but not in the same league as the MIDIbox or P3. I use two MAQ16/3s in my rig. Make each row a different length for longer evolving patterns...

For you analog types, the Milton is a pretty nice sequencer, especially if you use the redesigned bank boards that allow the banks to be different lengths.

Numerology and Volta and/or Silent Way are really good tools to check out as well...

Oh yeah, I have a couple Klees too!

Every DIY person should own a copy of Electronotes: http://electronotes.netfirms.com

Blue LEDs are evil.
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I got one of these recently:

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

good fun!
MarkMosher : ModulateThis

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:57 am    Post subject: Favorite Sequencers Past and Present Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My favorite hardware MIDI sequencers back in the day were Ensoniq's pattern-based sequencers. The ESQ-1 on up to the TS-10. Loved them.

From 2002-2006 I used a mixture of software sequencers - FL Studio, Sonar, and Ableton Live.

In 2006 I switched 100% to Ableton Live 6 and haven't looked back. Live's piano roll is no where near as sophisticated as many, but the entire session view work flow and the ability to sequence, sample, re-sample, add tracks with vsts - all on-the-fly without a hiccup from the audio engine really suits me. Also starting in Live 8, you can do step-sequencing which was something I missed from the Ensoniq days. Here is a video I put together on it http://www.modulatethis.com/2009/04/ableton-live-8-step-sequencer.html.

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

I also use Tenori-On as my on-the-go scratchpad. I use it to drive VSTs in Ableton Live, to sequence Multi-Mode on my Waldorf Blofled and will soon use it to sequence synths on my iPhone.

http://www.markmoshermusic.com
http://www.modulatethis.com

Live 8 Suite; HP Envy14; Launchpad, Remote SL MKII, Tenori-On White, AudioCubes, Theremin;Absynth 5, Zebra 2, ACE, Diva, ElectraX, Alchemy, Synplant & uTonic, FAW Cirlce; Waldorf Blofeld, Novation Ultranova
DES

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Anyone using THESYS by Sugar-Bytes? I've been looking at it and the s/w Klee as well.
MarkMosher : ModulateThis

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:32 pm    Post subject: Thesys on sale Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DES wrote:
Anyone using THESYS by Sugar-Bytes? I've been looking at it and the s/w Klee as well.

I've not tried but like other products like Artillery 2. Note they are having a big xmas sale.

http://www.markmoshermusic.com
http://www.modulatethis.com

Live 8 Suite; HP Envy14; Launchpad, Remote SL MKII, Tenori-On White, AudioCubes, Theremin;Absynth 5, Zebra 2, ACE, Diva, ElectraX, Alchemy, Synplant & uTonic, FAW Cirlce; Waldorf Blofeld, Novation Ultranova
Page 1 of 2 [29 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Sequencers
Jump to: