electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Musical Interfaces
Advice for Keyboard Controller
Page 1 of 1 [23 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Celtic Peasant

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:04 pm    Post subject: Advice for Keyboard Controller Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am building a CV Volt per Octave Keyboard Controller for use with the Peasant's SynthCase System.

The boards I have already populated are the VCO driver section of JH's Living VCO and Ray Wilson's Single Bus Keyboard to 1V/Oct CV, Gate, Trigger board (which we modified a bit).

With the Peasant's guidance I am currently breadboarding the circuit for the 3 axis joystick controller which will also include the gate delay, trigger delay and manual gate/trigger circuits. I am lucky to have the Peasant to do the designing for the features I want thumright

I now have the graphics for the panel drafted so everyone can get an idea of what I have, I was hoping all you experienced members of the community could give me suggestions or/and comments. Anything you would recommend that I haven't planned for yet?? Any suggestions as to something I should do a little differently?

Any or all comments or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Take care,
Zoie

keygraph small.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  128.13 KB
 Viewed:  450 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

keygraph small.gif

Celtic Peasant

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Question Hi anyone ??!!!!

32 views but noone has any advice for me? I'm sure there are alot of people here who have used keyboard controllers or built them.

I have heard the awesome talent on this forum Wink !!

I could really use some help and suggestions ... anyone?... anyone?

Thanks and take care Smile,
Zoie

Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I guess this isn't off-topic here, but it might stand a better chance to get a comment in the modular synthesis forum? Or the root DIY forum? Perhaps a mod could see it fit to move and leave a link?

Personally I'm interested in your controller, but I don't fully understand how it works. Will you hook up some existing CV keyboard to this module, or is it attached to a keyboard you're building yourself? I'm a bit of modular newbie, and I haven't tried a dedicated CV keyboard yet (I do CV out from my laptop's audio interface).

/Stefan

Celtic Peasant

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Stefan,

Thanks for your suggestions. I didn't actually think of putting in the modular synthesis forum because this is a DIY project. I wanted a keyboard to play with The Electronic Peasant's SynthCases.

So yes, I am building it all myself (with designing by The Electronic Peasant and lessons in breadboarding and populating stripboard). The panel I have shown is the panel that will be to the left side of the keys.

Thank you again for your interest and your suggestions Stefan. I appreciate it.

Take care,
Zoie

Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looks like a nice design Zoie.
I can't really comment on the functionality though as I haven't built enough stuff to have any experience with playing it. I still have no keyboard or MIDI - CV interface, so I don't really know what is important and what isn't. But, for what it's worth;-
Lots of inverted options are good.
The colour schem is really nice.
Make sure all the hardware fits into the spaces you've made before you print, cut, drill, populate the panel.

prgdeltablues

Audio files: 12

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Zoie

trying to imagine using this, my only thoughts were that the manual gate/trigger button is a long way from the keyboard, and I'd be reaching right across the joystick and octave switches. I also wondered if the tune and octave section ought not to be above, rather than below, the vibrato and portomento controls, since I could imagine using the later more. But I'm useless on a keyboard and lefthanded too, so don't take these as pearls of wisdom!

Peter
Celtic Peasant

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Uncle Krunkus wrote:
Make sure all the hardware fits into the spaces you've made before you print, cut, drill, populate the panel.

Thank you very much Uncle Krunkus Very Happy . LOL now those are pearls of wisdom.

I'm totally there Wink . Luckily I have the benefit of someone with lots of experience building synths so the only real variable is the joystick. I'll make sure ... especially since I am still really challenged making holes!!!!

Thanks for the tip about lots of inverted options. I have a little room to play around so I'll ponder that.

Take care,
Zoie

Celtic Peasant

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

prgdeltablues wrote:
trying to imagine using this, my only thoughts were that the manual gate/trigger button is a long way from the keyboard, and I'd be reaching right across the joystick and octave switches. I also wondered if the tune and octave section ought not to be above, rather than below, the vibrato and portomento controls, since I could imagine using the later more.

Hi Peter,

Thanks so much. Those are excellent points and actually I agree with you about the vibrato and portamento controls - I can see myself using those more too.

I have everything sort of set up beside the keyboard at our workbench so I'll be sure to check out your tip about the manual gate/trigger and see how it will feel to me.

You don't sound like you would be "very useless on a keyboard" to me and I appreciate whatever help and suggestions that everyone can give me. I would really like learn from everyone else's experience and wind up with a finished product that will be awesome to play. Piano was my first instrument and I love synth music - I'm really looking forward to this.

Any suggestions about other features I might like to consider?

Take care,
Zoie

Celtic Peasant

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just wanted to thank everyone for your input Smile . We have used some of the suggestions we received and added a few extras of our own.

The Tune button was moved, but I left the Octaves where they were, as I think they are something I will use a fair bit. We added in a choice for intervals of a third and a fifth on the A CV channel.

We also added an invert function to the pitch bend going to the B CV channel.

To fill up panel space we added another CV modulation pot with a delay function included.

If anyone has any other suggestions I'd love to hear them.

We are planning on getting this to the printer this week .. and then the drilling begins Wink .

Take care,
Zoie

keygraph[3].jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  111.39 KB
 Viewed:  395 Time(s)

keygraph[3].jpg

Celtic Peasant

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi everyone, after a busy summer I have finally been able to get back to my project.

A lot of progress has been made recently and the case construction is almost completed.

The details can be found on my web page http://www.celticpeasant.com/physical/Keyboard/keyboard.html

As you can see Uncle Krunkus I got my holes right Wink!

Comments or questions are welcome!

Take care,
Zoie

keyboard.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  67.09 KB
 Viewed:  316 Time(s)

keyboard.jpg

Last edited by Celtic Peasant on Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

WOW! I love that joystick!
Congratulations Very Happy

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
Antimon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Beautiful work! That's a proper piece of furniture. Smile
Celtic Peasant

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

seraph wrote:
WOW! I love that joystick!
Congratulations Very Happy

Thank you very much Seraph! Smile It is a cool joystick isn't it!?! I laid claim to it from the Electronic Peasant's parts stash Laughing !

Hopefully everything works once I complete the circuit boards and get everything wired up Wink.

Celtic Peasant

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Antimon wrote:
Beautiful work! That's a proper piece of furniture. Smile

Thank you Antimon Very Happy ! I wish I could take all of the credit but I have to be honest and say that the woodworking was really a joint effort Wink. The Electronic Peasant and I designed and built the case together.

RF

Audio files: 28

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice job Zoie! It looks beautiful...

bruce

"I want to make these sounds that go wooo-wooo-ah-woo-woo.”
(Herb Deutsch to Bob Moog ~1963)
Celtic Peasant

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you very much Bruce Smile! I'm very excited to get on with the next stage and looking forward to completing the project.

The only problem with completion is that I will then have even more competing for my time ... I'll be wanting to play as well as carrying on with other DIY projects Wink ! Never enough time - can't wait for retirement!!

Celtic Peasant

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:19 pm    Post subject: Completed Keyboard Controller Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My Keyboard Controller is now completed and I'd like to share the finished product with everyone. I still find it amazing that everything I hoped to achieve with this Keyboard Controller (thanks to the designing and modifications of The Peasant) has been achieved.

I was a little worried about whether I had chosen the correct placement for the controls and how smoothly everything would work when it came time for making music - but, for me, it all works smoothly and effortlessly.

The first picture below shows the circuity and wiring of the completed Keyboard Controller and the second picture shows my Controller hooked up to The Peasant's SynthCase system (he has to share it now!!).

If you would like to see more detail, feel free to go to my webpage: http://www.celticpeasant.com/physical/keyboard/keyboard.html

I wanted to thank everyone again for their advice! Very Happy

Take care,
Zoie

wiringcomplete.jpg
 Description:
The completed circuitry and wiring.
 Filesize:  204.35 KB
 Viewed:  305 Time(s)

wiringcomplete.jpg

final.jpg
 Description:
Trying it out!
 Filesize:  172.54 KB
 Viewed:  285 Time(s)

final.jpg

seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

outstanding Exclamation Very Happy

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
Antimon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What a wonderful piece of work! Also, that workplace looks lovely. Smile
MusicScienceGuy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:25 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow. I'm impressed ... and I've built 3 exotic keyboards.
This is a very nice, clean piece of work.
Ken.

Celtic Peasant

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

seraph wrote:
outstanding Exclamation Very Happy

Wow .. thank you Seraph! Very Happy

Celtic Peasant

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Antimon wrote:
What a wonderful piece of work! Also, that workplace looks lovely. Smile

Thank you so much Antimon - not only for your comment but for your support and encouragement throughout my build Smile

Celtic Peasant

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

MusicScienceGuy wrote:
Wow. I'm impressed ... and I've built 3 exotic keyboards.
This is a very nice, clean piece of work.
Ken.

Thank you so much Ken Smile.

I'm a little overwhelmed right now with everyone's comments!! To receive such appreciation for my work from the people I have looked up to and been impressed by is an amazing experience!

Take care,
Zoie

Page 1 of 1 [23 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Musical Interfaces
Jump to: