electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Developers' Corner
Most simple VCF on earth
Page 1 of 2 [49 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
metal_head_82

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:04 am    Post subject:  Most simple VCF on earth Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey there!

I thought I share a little VCF-circuit I've been working on.
It's a pretty simple circuit using just a single opamp, some resistors two caps and a diode. I'm pretty sure someone else already had the same idea but I still think it's worth sharing. Wink

It's not a very accurate filter but it can be powered from a single 9V battery. And for those who are looking for cheap and simple VCFs this might be the solution (or at least a pointer to the right direction).

I ran some tests with some drum- and synthloops.
It should be ok especially for noise boxes, drones and other crazy and noisy stuff Cool

Enough talk!

Here is the schematic and a little recording with a drumloop and a version with an additional synth.

Have fun!
Greetz

Hendrik

UltraSimpleVCF.png
 Description:
This is the revised version of the schematic
 Filesize:  58.76 KB
 Viewed:  19724 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

UltraSimpleVCF.png

UltraSimpleVCF.mp3
 Description:
A quick demo with a drum loop running through the filter

Download
 Filename:  UltraSimpleVCF.mp3
 Filesize:  2.75 MB
 Downloaded:  5340 Time(s)

UltraSimpleVCF_2.mp3
 Description:
Demo recording with drumloop and synth

Download
 Filename:  UltraSimpleVCF_2.mp3
 Filesize:  2.43 MB
 Downloaded:  4262 Time(s)

synthmonger

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Those 1k CV summing resistors should at least be 100k.

And your VCF looks a lot like Tim's

http://www.jiggawoo.eclipse.co.uk/guitarhq/Circuitsnippets/simplevcf.gif

metal_head_82

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Snthmonger,

I lowered to summing resistors on purpose.
They were 100k but that didn't gave me the filter sweeps I wanted - so I lowered them down. The circuit itself has also changed. But it's not finished yet. I'm still trying to improve the frequency range.

The filters you posted look pretty cool. I think I'll have to breadboard them.
My Idea for this filter came from some simple, passive VCF circuits which didn't offer Resonance control. So I tried to include the technique used there in an active design.
I was pretty sure that I came up with something new Sad
But as I already mentioned: I'm sure that someone else had the same Idea.

Had the same issue with a 2 op amp LFO I thought I designed.
But I realized that it was such a simple standard design - it has been posted several times in many forums. So no post here.

I'm currently building a little filter toy with my design. Perhaps the filters you posted work out better. I will give it a try.

Thx for the hint! Smile

umschmitt

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hej metal_head_82. I know this is an old topic, but by chance did you succeed in improving the frequency range of you filter ? I'm using it - roughly adapted to 5 volts ! - in this modded circuit
http://electro-music.com/forum/phpbb-files/mutant_ds_7_prelim_schem_525.png
and it sounds good, but I'd like to be able to make it growl… So which parameters should be changed ? Do you have an idea of the equations involved here ? (is it even possible ?)
Thanks in advance !

metal_head_82

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is an active bridged-T filter.
Just google for bridged-T filter and you should find the equations. I selected the values by trial and error Wink

To improve the frequency range you could exchange the diode with a garden variety transistor. e.g. BC547.

Connect the emitter to the junction of the two caps and the collector to ground (0V). Apply the CV to base. This should improve the behaviour to cv and give you some more control - especially with low CVs. You should then rise the summing resistor values to at least 100k. To limit the filter's frequency response when no CV is applied you could try to place a resistor in parralel to collector and emitter.

I think this is the same way Ray Wilson achieved a VCF in one of his designs. I'm pretty sure I saw this method in one of his old devices. I came up with this when I modified my WSG. Now it has some nice "quasi-vcf" Wink

Hope this helps a little.

Greetz

umschmitt

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks. I ended up doing the same, using a transistor, on the advice from people here, and it works great ! I tried using 100k resistors for the CVs, without much success I'm afraid. I had very little range on the controls. So back to 10k. Putting a resistor across the transistor is great too, actually it answers an issue I had concerning the pots' travel…
So. Besides, I had put this transistor the other way round, like I thought it should have to be (as I mentioned on your VCO topic). The fact is that both work. I won't even ask questions here. I just don't understand.
By the way, your filter is among others discussed here.

mrkva

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Any news with this one? Any upgrades of the schematic / values? I really like the simplicity!
tokyomatik

Audio files: 6

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i tried to improve the sweep and cv following the tips here on this thread, but didn't worked...i would be also curious to see new schematics
i'm trying to use this filter to build a baby 8 for a friend, with internal vco and vcf controlled by the sequencer
kind of self contained groovebox
pretty funny till now, but sure could be even better
when i feed the signal to the filter the volume goes drastically down
and even with the cutoff completely open, i don't have the original sfrequency spectrum of the original, i loose part of the bottom and start to sound almost like an hipass
plus the pots don't have a linear response, too less and then too much if u know what i mean, should i try with a couple of logs ?

anyway the sound is already more interesting than the wsg filter for example, at least the resonance is not only perceived

keep up the good work

peace
MrSparkle

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

tokyomatik wrote:

when i feed the signal to the filter the volume goes drastically down

Replace R1 with a 100k resistor. This should fix the volume drop problem without (drastically) affecting the operation of the filter. You could even go lower to compensate a bit more if needed. Note that this will lower the input impedance of the filter, so make sure the output of the previous stage has a low enough output impedance, or you could get attenuation from the impedance mismatch (this shouldn't generally be a problem unless you have a volume pot before the filter or something like that)

I'm not sure why R1 is 470k in the first place. It looks like maybe a mistake? Or maybe the attenuation was intentional? Sorry I'm new here.

Cheers.
ELEKTRICGASCHIEF

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:41 pm    Post subject: simple VCF
Subject description: twin T VCF
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi, I'm new so forgive me for butting in!

I made a similar filter, using an LED and a 47K resistor, I got quite a good range from it but it was very unstable bursting into HF oscillation and causing the output to clip. Is this an inherently unstable circuit? Perhaps I need better supply decoupling...

LEDBAS~2.png
 Description:
MY FILTER
 Filesize:  11.33 KB
 Viewed:  4791 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

LEDBAS~2.png

JingleJoe

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The polarized capacitor you have on your LED might be to blame, if you get oscillation you may need to adjust the resonance control or input amplitude.

Green Dungeon Alchemist Laboratories
Rolbista

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:26 am    Post subject: VCF noise?
Subject description: noisy output
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey all, first post here, slapped this VCF together and works quite nice, but i have a problem with hiss and noise with cutoff and resonance set low (as in, cutoff completely open, and minimal resonance). At frst I thought it was ceramic caps for those two 100nF, but swapped them for film ones and the noise is only a littke better. I used 10k resistors for CV, and 100k for input, there is also a BC546 instead of the diode. Should I trim the input signal more? Or maybe it has to be like this? I used the schematic at the top of this thread.
JingleJoe

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What op amp are you using? people usually blame op amps but maybe you need some high pass filtering at the input/output?
Also your connections between the circuit and amplifier, or whatever you are listening to it with, could be sheilded poorly, you could even be in an electromagnetic field hot spot Laughing

Rolbista

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

op amp - TL071cn , i used normal guitar cables and a small guitar amp. In the meantime I tried it during a band practice, and we are so loud we barely hear that noise. It would be nice however, to have it clean for studio purposes. Also, what voltage swing from an LFO should I use to modulate it from full to no cutoff, 0-9V?
JingleJoe

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There is another thread about simple VCFs somewhere else on this forum but I don't know what it was called anymore (I think umschmitt posted there too), anyway a very similar circuit was used but with a transistor in place of the diode, this should help with noise problems and allow you to tailor the control voltage range.

max92

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've just built this circuit using the original circuit at the top, only exception being that I use a tl072 instead of the tl071, but I guess that shouldn't matter.

My plan was to use this as a pedal for a bass guitar.

I've got two problems though:
1. There's a lot of noise when the filter is "open".
2. When the filter is "closed" it still let pretty much through. I would guess it is between 2-5 khz

So the noise. My first guess is that is because of the weak signal coming from the bass guitar. Could this be fixed with any coupling capacitors or change of current?

The cutoff frequency I guess should be a matter of changing a resistor somewhere or?
elmegil

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

pre-amp stage?
wahoah

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have the same problem with the "white noise" that my VCF produce

HELP!
bubzy

Audio files: 64

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

max92 wrote:
I've just built this circuit using the original circuit at the top, only exception being that I use a tl072 instead of the tl071, but I guess that shouldn't matter.

nope.

Quote:

My first guess is that is because of the weak signal coming from the bass guitar.

yup.

as elmigil has pointed out, this circuit would require a preamp from anything that has a low output such as a bass guitar. you might want to look up a simple high gain op amp circuit, you could even use the other half of the tl072.

Quote:

I have the same problem with the "white noise" that my VCF produce

HELP!

firstly welcome to electro-music
and we will need a little more information, what signal are you putting into this, how is it powered? have you altered any of the component values?
information is power Smile

analog_backlash

Audio files: 21

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi everyone involved.

This may be a really idiotic comment, but I can't seem to find any mention of screened connections to the input and output jacks, which I would do as a matter of course. As I say, this may be stating the "bleedin' obvious" but it depends on how new you are to electronics. I certainly would not have thought of it when I first started out.

Just an observation Very Happy

Gary
wahoah

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:

firstly welcome to electro-music
and we will need a little more information, what signal are you putting into this, how is it powered? have you altered any of the component values?
information is power Smile

Hi! my VCF is powered by 9v comming from a wall wart adapter, my incomming signal is a Atari Punk Console powered by a 9v battery.

Ive made a few changes, first i changed the diode 1n4148 with a yellow led and replaced the 470kohms resistor on the input signal with a 100kohms
Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
2kohm

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mh... i use a 470K input resistor ( tested with iphone audio input ) and with my lm324 osc. smaler value bring me dist and noise

sounds nice an clean, but i think the filter add´s a lot of ultra high frequencies.
i used resistors in series with the pots to get a nice scale.

anybody else tried this filter or have some modifications ?
i like the sound off this filter!!!

bubzy

Audio files: 64

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wahoah wrote:
Hi! my VCF is powered by 9v comming from a wall wart adapter, my incomming signal is a Atari Punk Console powered by a 9v battery.

whoah, I totally lost this thread. the noise is likely as analog_backlash said, a grounding issue, you have 2 separate power supplies there, if you do this you should "common" the grounds, so just run a bit of wire from the 0v of the battery to the 0v of the wall-wart

2kohm

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

intersting filter

this filter sounds nice and i think we can mix the circuits

image003.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  41.08 KB
 Viewed:  107244 Time(s)

image003.jpg

baudrate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

2kohm wrote:

i used resistors in series with the pots to get a nice scale.

I plan on adding some trimmers. I can't wait to get home tonight to throw this together on the breadboard.
Page 1 of 2 [49 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Developers' Corner
Jump to: