electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » How-tos
PLS test my site !!!
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Norm Vogel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 8:32 am    Post subject: PLS test my site !!! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi! I've put almost all my music up on a website, using streaming mp3 format. *I* have no problem playing the music, but Greg tried it, and it wouldn't work.

He said, 'when I click on it, it opens winamp and a folder called TEMP, expecting me to select a file in there. "

I'd appreciate it if YOU would try it and report here if it works or not.

(And, if not, WHY not). The site is http://www.normusic.com

Thank you in advance for your help!

Norm Very Happy

Normusic !

elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Streaming OK. I have set up iTunes to play .m3u objects - plays fine.

Hey... rocking!

Very Happy

Nice stuff!
Norm Vogel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 11:57 am    Post subject: Response Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmmmm....i wonder why Greg can't get in. Has anyone ELSE tried it?

Glad u like my music !!! Very Happy

Norm

Normusic !

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Works well for me, Norm. I tried both your dance and ambient pages, and the Play All feature works too.

Maybe Greg needs to upgrade his computer/browser. Wink

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Norm Vogel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 1:35 pm    Post subject: GREAT! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks, Howard! I wonder what Greg has to do.

Elektro80, how did u "I have set up iTunes to play .m3u objects"?

What is "iTunes"? I just have WINAMP, and it works fine!

Do u think that MOST people will be able to hear it?

Norm

Normusic !

egw
Stream Operator

Audio files: 18
G2 patch files: 8

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, Netscape freaked out today and deleted all my archived email.
Perhaps it is related to that.
Norm Vogel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 3:35 pm    Post subject: Netscape Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, sometimes Netscape "goes flaky" and does things like that.

However, i prefer it to IE. This is because, when i first started designing websites, IE would not accept Javascript (because Bill Gates DIDN'T write it!).

And, so, i had to constantly test to see which browser it was, and write a lot of extra code so that the person's IE browser wouldn't crash or go nuts!

Even tho they're now (finally!) up to speed with JS, old predjudices die hard. Evil or Very Mad

Norm

Normusic !

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ahhh... ok... re the media playback.

I am using pretty uptodate macs on OS X 10.2.5. iTunes is a cute mp3 player app bundled with the OS and part of the much hyped ( and pretty nice ) iLife media playback and editing suite.

Media types referred in URLs can be set up to use various helper apps for playback. The .m3u which is a playlist is also a media object. If the browser kicks in and shows the .m3u as text there is a problem with the media object mapping in browser which does not recognize the .m3u as a media object. There is a list in the browser somewhere.. in the preferences panels.. or a list in the conttrols panels somewhere.. which can be edited. This is the same place you where you tell the browser to map like .zip to unzip helpers and real media files to the real media player etc etc
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

One issue that does not apply to your site Norm,but is cool to know about is this:
The http protocol has many features that usually are completely transparent to the user. What it does is handling various types of transactions. Now and then you just MIGHT experience that it is the webserver which is not configured the right way. You see, http servers must be configured to handle various media objects too. If objects like .m3u files tend to be misunderstood client side you must check if the server handles the mime type correctly. For .m3u you must tell the server that such files are of the kind: audio/x-mpegurl

In most cases most modern webservers are configured by default to handle the lot of familar / standard / well known media objects.

Just keep this in mind if you ever set up your own webserver at home. Very Happy
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » How-tos
Jump to: