electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » electro-music.com » Streaming Radio Station
New Year's Eve 2011 Streaming Concert
Page 5 of 6 [136 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
D.Miñoza
Stream Operator

Audio files: 31

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You guys remember the last midi chat jams? OMG - cant wait.

Looking forward to the event and hearing all the music.

I've made arrangements and can help with switching throughout the day/evening.

cheers

~

shanemorris
Stream Operator

Audio files: 92

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

<Note>
2 additional performers have been added
Ganzha and redgreenblue will both be kicking of the global party in Kazakhstan and the US after our international Midi Chat Jam, which is chat room text translated to midi messages to Nord G2's programmed by Blue Hell. We will likely begin Midi Chat Madness the night before up until the first performers.

Cheers!

ewblank

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi everyone,

I've never participated in an online stream before. I just tried to D/L Edcast and it appears that it is no longer available from the s/w creator.

Can anybody suggest other free s/w I can use to make this work on PC?

Thanks!
ew

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Edcast is a problem ... yes ... i do not have a solution yet for Windows users.
ewblank

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If I have to do it via Mac, I should use Nicecast demo, correct?
shanemorris
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ewblank wrote:

Yes ewblank. That will work for your set Very Happy

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

shanemorris wrote:
ewblank wrote:

Yes ewblank. That will work for your set Very Happy

Or a setup with MUSE and SoundFlower, which is more complicated but free. When you report in the chat, at let's say a late european evening time, there will probably people around to help you solve troubles that may arise.

You can use one of the five public ports (look for an unused one) to do testing (and later broadcasting), connection info is to be found at http://bluehell.electro-music.com/radio_info/manage_public.php [username : public and password : public] and some additional info can be found at http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-41570.html .

shanemorris
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Please Note
If you do not currently have a port at electro-music.com and you will be streaming on NYE, please use our public port configurations for your set. The links that Blue Hell has provided in the post above ^ gives all the info for using those ports.

Also

It is crucial that you test your streaming capabilities before the event. Testing your set up sooner, rather than later is a good idea.
It is near impossible to trouble shoot any streaming problems with artists on the day of the event, unless their is extra help at the time. So please do not wait and put yourself or others in a stressful situation that could even prevent you from streaming at all.

Looking like a helluva NYE and honestly nowhere I'd rather be myself.

Thanks Very Happy

dalekay

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I still got edcast installed on the win2k system. I might have a install version in the arch folder too.

I think this Thursday when things have settled down a bit on my end, I will give it a test or two. I'll hit the chat room too to see if any are around to give it a peek to see what the levels are or not.

We might have a live bass this time around too. I got a call from Barry Nelson this am, he does a lot of studio sessions in the LA area, a Jazz Bass type but very good in many styles. Bass is tricky so I will be experimenting more this time with the stream before hand. I'll know more late tonight during practice on if we got a live bass in the mix. As soon as I am sure, I will post a set list and who is going to be. Wink

Dale
shanemorris
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The schedule is now posted on the first post of the first page in this thread for ease of access. I smell a rat
ewblank

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

shanemorris wrote:
Please Note
If you do not currently have a port at electro-music.com and you will be streaming on NYE, please use our public port configurations for your set. The links that Blue Hell has provided in the post above ^ gives all the info for using those ports.

Also

It is crucial that you test your streaming capabilities before the event. Testing your set up sooner, rather than later is a good idea.
It is near impossible to trouble shoot any streaming problems with artists on the day of the event, unless their is extra help at the time. So please do not wait and put yourself or others in a stressful situation that could even prevent you from streaming at all.

Looking like a helluva NYE and honestly nowhere I'd rather be myself.

Shane & Blue Hell: thanks for the assistance. This is our first attempt at a live stream and we haven't nailed down the technical aspects but I will be educating myself and testing between now and the 30th. Thanks again. We're really looking forward to participating.

Regards,
Eric

kkissinger

Audio files: 42

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I will do another test in a day or two.
usr_sbin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:47 am    Post subject: Stream testing Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Now that the Full Moon Lunacy lunacy is done for the year, I'll do some stream testing before The Big Night (altho' in my case, that would be morning! GMT is a bugger when you're MST!).

Happy Festivus to All!

shanemorris
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This might help...

If you use Firefox, there is a great add-on called foxclocks which allows you to add numerous time zones to the bottom of your browser.

Also, win7 and I believe Vista allow you to set up an 2nd alternate clock in your task bar. Very Happy

Ganzha

Audio files: 27

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:09 am    Post subject: Exactly!
Subject description: Abiut second watch!
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have two atch here - in Vista 0ne in locals and second in GMT - that is usefull!!!
1:11

Audio files: 109

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey all,
i'm having problems figuring out what i'm doing wrong....

i'm using NiceCast/Live and don't get any levels on the NiceCast meter.
i think it's set up right so far, selected Live as the Source. i'm not getting any error messages.....everything seems to work except for no sound.

Anyone have an idea what's wrong?

Thanx!!
D.Miñoza
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

1:11 wrote:
Hey all,

i think it's set up right so far, selected Live as the Source. i'm not getting any error messages.....everything seems to work except for no sound.

Thanx!!

hoi! -try setting source to system audio and then open Live as an application. -also check Live's output settings.

usr_sbin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:20 pm    Post subject: Getting NiceCast going... Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey all,

Thanx!!

You should be using the "Source" setting as "Application" and be able to select Live as the Application being used.

Trying to remember if you actually see anything on the meter if the broadcast isn't actually "live"...you may need to connect to a test server and actually start a broadcast to see anything.

One thing to try is the "Local Server" setting, which SHOULD allow you to simulate a live broadcast, meters and all.

(I'm writing this upstairs from the studio, where my server is located, so this is all from memory...I'll try and re-post when I get back down stairs)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey, thanks for the suggestions! Still no luck though

Honestly, i'm really freaking out here. i tried logging into the public server to see if the levels come up, but i don't think i've figured out the right settings yet.

i'm going to let my mind cool down a bit cuz i'm getting frustrated & crazy, (which never helps) and go over all the instructions Jan has listed again.

i'm gonna also try finding EdCast and see if that can work.....

ARRRRRRRRRGH!!!!!!!!!!

From Now ON, i'm just going to reply by editing this post....don't wanna fill up the thread with this prob. THANX AGAIN!!!!!!!
D.Miñoza
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

From Now ON, i'm just going to reply by editing this post....don't wanna fill up the thread with this prob. THANX AGAIN!!!!!!!

-jump in chat and talk to jfox and/or edison rex.. they are my nicecast gurus.

Smile

take your time, you'll get it worked out.

good luck.

usr_sbin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:15 pm    Post subject:  DON'T PANIC! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Honestly, i'm really freaking out here. i tried logging into the public server to see if the levels come up, but i don't think i've figured out the right settings yet.

i'm going to let my mind cool down a bit cuz i'm getting frustrated & crazy, (which never helps) and go over all the instructions Jan has listed again.

i'm gonna also try finding EdCast and see if that can work.....

ARRRRRRRRRGH!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, don't panic...

1. First close all your applications. Done that?
2. Start up NiceCast
3. For "Source" choose "Application".
4.For "Server" use "Local Server" for right now...
5. Now fire up Ableton Live, start a loop of some kind so you have a steady sound source.
6. Go back to NiceCast, go to "Source" and you should have "Application" selected and you should now be able to select an application: you want to select "Ableton Live" (or something like that...I don't use Live, so I'm not sure how it will show up)
7. Choose "Start Broadcast" and you should be seeing the meters jumping if you have something playing in Live...
8. If you get this working, you should stop the broadcast and try the public test server the very same way.

Unless you're using something like Soundflower, DO NOT use the "System Audio"...use "Application"...Soundflower is designed to "hijack" System audio, but it's adding an extra layer of complexity for troubleshooting.

I've been using NiceCast like this for over 5 years of streaming performance and only rarely have problems and they have all been due to user error.

D.Miñoza
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

-don't worry about that. this info helps others trouble shoot. and it's cool for me because i just figured out that i can open Live in effects .. then I can open Komplete inside of Live.. this is great!

shanemorris
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Please Note

Checking ports should be done in conjunction with the Chatroom. It's fine to use the thread here as well.. but you get immediate feedback that way.

Not only can people help you with your set up, but they can also listen once you are connected to verify that your stream is working.

There is usually someone around that can help you most of the time (apart from any live shows that would be on air at the time).

Be patient if someone doesn't immediately respond... hang out for a while.

usr_sbin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:56 am    Post subject: Hey, 1:11! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

1:11, did you get things sorted out?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Hey, 1:11! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

usr_sbin wrote:
1:11, did you get things sorted out?

Hey, Merry Xmas guys/girls!! i took a break from it last night so i could get a clearer perspective today. Just looking at your suggestions, i think i see some of my settings messed up..... got some Holiday stuff to do for a bit, then i'll try again.

MUCHO MUCHO Appreciated!! Very Happy

edit: Tried real quick, still no luck.... But when i get back i'm going to try using a different computer (PC), one that will just take the outputs from the Mac and not running any other sound program.

EDIT2: Nope, still no luck. Feeling positive though.....

Last edited by 1:11 on Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Page 5 of 6 [136 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » electro-music.com » Streaming Radio Station
Jump to: