electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » News... » Gear News
New rom-based VA - M-Audio Venom
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
fky

Audio files: 23
G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:19 am    Post subject: New rom-based VA - M-Audio Venom Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I wrote a product review for ch.midifan.com (http://www.midifan.com/modulearticle-detailview-2298.htm)

Sorry, this review is only written in Chinese. It contains a raw saw waveform comparison among real analog instruments and some famous VA. And it also includes two individual demos for Venom.

You can check it out in case you were interested in this little beast.

Aciphecs

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Since I don't read Chinese, could you give us a brief overview of the review? Very interested in this new synth.

Thanks Very Happy
fky

Audio files: 23
G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Generally, I feel that the waveforms sampled by Venom are quite good. For examples, a saw waveform has 5 different types of sampling waveform to choose. The sound system can reflect the natural of the vintage waveform quite straight forward and lively, and it also contains some powerful & traditional vintage drum samples (808,909), and also classical FM sounds. The effect section is good, clear and bright, digital feelling. The bit reducer is excellent!!!!

By combining 3 osc through a relevant simple sound route.... (only one filter) , the sounds is more "realistic analog" compared to other virtual modeling system.
However, as Venom provide a powerful free editor that contains a useful sound generation/ and combination tool. THis is quite useful for synth lover to create completely new sound. I am highly recommending it, though the sequencer/arpeggio part is not for free(you need to pay additional money to buy this editor's function in future)

Some negative points about the Venom.
1) The control panel design is very bad. There are a lot of knobs and key pads on the front panel but actually doing nothing important. You can’t even edit the sound in deep by so many knobs on the panel.
2) Software or maybe firmware bugs. Not able to use a midi-keyboard/controller to trigger Venom and I don’t know why. You can only trigger it through USB connection.
3) Rom based synth has its own defects especially in the extra high or low pitch sounding.
4) Besides, the quality of the filter is not impressive.

Venom seems having been finished in such a hurry for NAMM Show. It still needs quite a lot of improvement.

If you looking for completely new vintage sound or even modern sounds from a different VA, this could be a good choose in a budgeted low price. I think it is much more powerful 49 keys new sound machine than those Korg , Roland and Novation’s cheap old VA engine- plastic stuffs (Radias/ SH serious / or Nova…. )

Aciphecs

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks! Now I need to get some alone time with one to see how she fits Wink
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » News... » Gear News
Jump to: