electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Case for the G2X?
Page 1 of 1 [16 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:47 am    Post subject: Case for the G2X? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Anyone know of a good light hard case for the G2X?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jamos

Audio files: 4
G2 patch files: 41

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I had one made for my G2 for a pretty good price, at http://www.groovenutcaseco.com . I need to get another one now :')
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I get:

Quote:
The website you have requested does not exist.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
egw
Stream Operator

Audio files: 18
G2 patch files: 8

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You have to remove the period from the end of the URL.
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks, I edited Jim's message so it will work... Is that where you got your case for your G2?
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I did a bit of thinking about cases lately and one thing that occured to me is that those little suitcases that many people use are a bad idea because those will obscure your hands to a audience. This means you get the main disadvantage of a laptop without any of the advantages that go with it.

Traveling with more than two objects to carry is also a very bad idea, IMHO, and I resolved that that means that cases are more about protection then they are about making something easy to carry.

At least that´s what I resolved after my experiments with my "Nord protector". Perhaps it´ll chip some time off somebody else´s considerations...

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, when you have a synth that costs more than $2000 it makes sense to protect it. But I don't want a case I can't lift. Many cases are made with thick plywood. Good protection but very heavy.

I'm worried about the Clavia 61 key gig bag. Does that protect the controls and jog wheel adequately? It's probably OK for carrying around in my car, but on a plane I'd be pretty worried.

Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, those are my concerns exactly. The problem with the G2X is that´s it´s probably too large to go into a suitcase, even a large one. This means that a case for it must be hard enough by itself to stand airtravel which basically means it must be hard enough to drive over with a car, light enough to cary next to some other bag with clothes+laptop and not look expensive or usefull (or the airplane people will steal it).

That does not leave a lot of materials that you can work yourself! Perhaps a aluminium box, reënforced with steel corners and sides and with a styrofoam inside cut to be shaped exactly to fit might do? that´s quite a few hours of work though.

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Too much work for me...
egw
Stream Operator

Audio files: 18
G2 patch files: 8

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I got mine here:
http://www.keyboardcases.com/
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
Too much work for me...

I don´t blame you, it´d require a rather large toolset too. Problem is, I don´t see that many other options. There are nice fiber-based plastics but you can´t work those yourself and a wooden case of that size will not be fun to stroll around with.

Perhaps match up a off-the-shelf sollution with extra padding shaped like the knobs and jogdial and the addition of a extra wheel so you only need to lift half the weight?

You could of cource also join the "I want a tabletop model" crew, whine untill Clavia gives in, then cary that and put a midi keyboard in your tech rider? hmmmmm. :¬)

jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have an SKB case, injection molded (very light weight). Since I have the G2 (no "X"), the 3 octave keyboard is impossible to find a fitted case that protects well. So the next size up (I think it IS made for a 5 octave board) holds both my G2 and MPC1000 very securely. Also, it fits very well on the typical "X" type keyboard stand, which allows me to use the case as a table for my MPC & laptop. So, I travel with even less.
Picked up for soemthing ~$150. Small price to protect $3000 in gear.
zynthetix

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 13

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jksuperstar, did your skb case come with foam padding on the inside?
Tim Kleinert

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 236

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kassen wrote:
Quote:
and a wooden case of that size will not be fun to stroll around with.

Aww, it's actually not that bad at all.

I let a good case-builder make specially fitted heavy-duty flightcases for my G2Xs (indispensable when touring), and find lugging them around not strainful in any way.

But maybe laptop-musicians have a different weight-tolerance than Fender-Rhodes-players (like yours truly). Laughing
jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Zynth: There's a dense fitted "puzzle piece" foam on the bottom half, which protects the bottom, and can be customized (& re-customized) to fit around the keyboard by adding/removing the interlocking foam pieces. Then there's a few strips of foam...like the egg-crate stuff, which holds the keyboard down when the top is closed. At first I didn't think the egg-crate foam was very good, but I like it now. There's plenty of room for my gear & extra cables in that box.
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

shoshin wrote:
But maybe laptop-musicians have a different weight-tolerance than Fender-Rhodes-players (like yours truly). Laughing

I don´t know, i´m currently restucturing my live stuff but i used to have a 5Kg laptop bag with a 20 to 25 Kg roling suitcase. I can travel with that, I can lift it to some fifth floor crash-space through tight stairs, I can even feel a perverse sense of pride if the local bellboy whom I´d rather not have touch my stuff has trouble moving the thing.

I´ve also done enoug of that to realise it´s simply not a good idea.

I wish I would´ve gone with my "micro modular + roland pma-5" plan.
:¬)

Page 1 of 1 [16 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: