electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Ken Stone designs - CGS
Synthacon VCF v1.3 Low pass too loud....
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
mubase

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:21 am    Post subject:  Synthacon VCF v1.3 Low pass too loud....
Subject description: Ken's Synthacon VCF low pass is louder than HP and BP
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have recently assembled Ken Stone's brilliant VCF board (V1.3) to use in a WSG project. Works nicely except the LP input is a lot louder than the HP or BP outputs...?? Has anyone else had this problem and if so could you please give me some pointers as far as you can?? As far as I am aware, the board is all assembled correctly. I am using 2n3904 and 2n3906 transistors...Would it be better to use 2222's??? Any help would be enourmously appreciated. The project started from a WSG to be patchable and i have added an LFO circuit, the VCF and a delay. All outputs are going thru a summing op amp circuit...

IMG0138A.jpg
 Description:
My WSG Redux (patchable) with Ken Stone VCF, triple LFO, Velleman delay circuit and summing mixer amp (based on Ken stone's DC mixer.)
Sort of works alright but needs some work on filter outputs and possibly a stronger resonance...
 Filesize:  20.81 KB
 Viewed:  7815 Time(s)

IMG0138A.jpg

andrewF

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:49 am    Post subject: Re: Synthacon VCF v1.3 Low pass too loud....
Subject description: Ken's Synthacon VCF low pass is louder than HP and BP

MuBase wrote:
Works nicely except the LP input is a lot louder than the HP or BP outputs...??.

I'm guessing this means the output is a lot louder when a signal is patched into the LP input compared to the same signap patched into the HP and BP inputs?
Possibly this can just be the nature of the beast, and depends on how you tweak the pots. If it really is so much louder, check your resistors at the Lowpass input, make sure there is 47K and 390K. If they are correct, you could replace the 47k resistor with a larger valued one, say 100k to start, this will decrease the level of the signal coming in to the circuit.

For me, the Steiner has never been very fussy about transistors, you should find it works okay with any general purpose types. It may be better with some rather than others, entirely up to you.
mubase

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:16 am    Post subject:  !!!!!!!!!!!
Subject description: Good vibrations...

Hi and thanks for the reply!
You are right, the LP input is passing a massive input signal to the circuit while the BP and HP are a lot quieter (but not detrimentally so.) That's a brilliant suggestion on the resistor values, I've had a quick run over of the component values but I will definitely check again and try your suggestions...Is one hell of a filter mod though you're right....; )...
I'll open her up later ( with much careful manouevering of the mass of wiring inside ), check things out and let you know....

Thanks again!.
synthesist

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hei MuBase,

I'd love to hear this wsg-steinerfilter beastmachine. Would you upload some sound demonstration for me?
I tried to build the filter too, but I failed. There are some demonstrations on youtube but to hear it together with the wsg would be great.

bye
mubase

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:30 am    Post subject:  Rough sample of WSG redux....
Subject description: Nice sample of what the WSG can do with Ken's Filter....

Hi Synthesist!. I've included a sample (below) i did a couple of months ago for this Machine Laughing You can hear the filter coming in and out. It's manipulating the WSG through patches from the filter straight to patches connected to the WSG pots and the CV of the filter's cutoff os being modulated by the Triple output LFO.....Hope you like it!...
Oh, and I'm looking into the problem with the LP being too loud now ( which I have just actually found out isn't the Low-Pass but it's the Band pass, I just had my leads mixed up .. Embarassed . Still I hope to have it working to the best of my humble abilities soon.... Cheers 4 now!!

Rawbounce.mp3
 Description:
Raw Bounce recording of WSG, also found here...http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-48110.html

Download
 Filename:  Rawbounce.mp3
 Filesize:  14.38 MB
 Downloaded:  899 Time(s)

synthesist

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hey MuBase!

thanks for sharing. One of the most progressive WSGs I've ever heard!
Soon I'm gonna give the synthacon VCF a second try.
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Ken Stone designs - CGS
Jump to: