electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Csound
Sruti/Drone Box 2.7 for Csound/QuteCsound
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
DaveSeidel

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:22 am    Post subject:  Sruti/Drone Box 2.7 for Csound/QuteCsound Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello all,

Sorry I haven't mentioned it here before, but I have just released version 2.7 of my Sruti/Drone Box app, written using QuteCsound. This is a realtime instrument that provides 1-4 drones tuned using ratios (just/rational intonation). The base pitch may be tuned either to an absolute frequency (Hz) or a named note (e.g., "A") using pitch-class notation or conventional note names. There are several different waveforms available, and three different effects: harmonic arpeggio (Risset), binaural beating, and reverb.

Like all of my music, this is free and available under a Creative Commons
Attribution-Noncommercial license. Requires Csound 5.12 and QuteCsound 0.6.0.

Link: http://goo.gl/u7Uo

- Dave Seidel
http://mysterybear.net

SrutiDrone-2.7-small.png
 Description:
Screen shot
 Filesize:  46.21 KB
 Viewed:  15118 Time(s)

SrutiDrone-2.7-small.png

-minus-

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice one Dave! Funny you should post this. I've recently gone off on a breadboarding tangent since discovering the Radel company in India and in particular the electronic tanpuras and shruti boxes. I found an old posting on matrixsynth of an early tanpura:

http://matrixsynth.blogspot.com/2007/11/raj-musicals-saarang.html

Also, I came across this old schematic for anyone who's interested:

http://books.google.com.au/books?id=AnUTQ4FT25sC&pg=PA85&lpg=PA85&dq=electronic+tanpura+circuit&source=bl&ots=gfqk0IlTc9&sig=EB7BPhUGFOxYrI0670TymJofChg&hl=en&ei=_Z7ITLq6LYWkvgPJloSWCQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CBkQ6AEwATgK#v=onepage&q=electronic%20tanpura%20circuit&f=false

A bit off topic perhaps, but I find this synthesis of traditional Indian drone instruments very interesting. Nice of you to post this! Smile
DaveSeidel

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks, -minus-!

I just updated the app to version 2.8:
- option to record session (WAV file)
- use vco2 for higher-quality saw, square, and (new) triangle waves; still using poscil3 for other waves
- add a fifth drone
- add "All On" and "All Off" buttons to activate/deactivate all drones at once
- rename "Notes" to "Pitch class"

http://mysterybear.net/article/51/drone-instrumentsruti-box-new-version

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.[/img]
mubase

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:12 am    Post subject: Sruti Drone box
Subject description: Csound opens up new pandoras box in the shape of sruti drone
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very Happy Hi! I've recently become interested in Csound as a programming platform for sound experimentation and absolutely love the drone box, I already have an idea for a piece I would like to record using spoken words and the drone... Amazing sounds, very nice. I am a fan of such drone experimentalists as Organum, Dave Jackman and Paul Kelday ( if you can count his electronics as drones.) The option to record as a wavefile opens it up completely, thanks.
DaveSeidel

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Sruti Drone box
Subject description: Csound opens up new pandoras box in the shape of sruti drone
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

MuBase wrote:
Very Happy Hi! I've recently become interested in Csound as a programming platform for sound experimentation and absolutely love the drone box, I already have an idea for a piece I would like to record using spoken words and the drone... Amazing sounds, very nice. I am a fan of such drone experimentalists as Organum, Dave Jackman and Paul Kelday ( if you can count his electronics as drones.) The option to record as a wavefile opens it up completely, thanks.

Excellent, I look forward to hearing what you come up with. Please post a link here when it's ready to share.
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Csound
Jump to: