electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » The layout factory
TR-808 Snare Stripboard
Page 2 of 3 [72 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
-minus-

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thank you very much for the confirmation! I'm going to have a look at the original schematics in a moment. If I recall, the 2N3704 has one pin unconnected as it is the noise source. I'll double check this. In the meantime if you could let me know where I've gone wrong I will correct the images and BOM. Once again thanks! I'm glad it worked for you. I'll check out the Ken Stone circuit...
6079smith

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah, the collector on the 2n3704 -middle pin- is unconnected, and the emitter connects to R39 instead. Not a big thing really... I havn't tried but I bet you could put any NPN transistor in there and it would work.
Let's see, C1 is 6n8, as is C5, C25 should read 47uF.

The CGS gate-to-trigger is worth the half opamp, ten components and 11x11 piece of stripboard it takes to make. That said, I had all the parts to hand, but it does the job of triggering cleanly from practically anything, and I've put one in every percussion module I've made.

So... any more more stripboard layouts in the works? I wish I had the patience for that...
glitched

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool project. I would love to build this on a stripboard, but can't find a good (cheap) supplier for it in the US. Sure, mouser carries some, but it's expensive.

Any help?

Thanks.
-minus-

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Shocked

Can't believe I made SO MANY mistakes!! Embarassed I'll fix up the illustrations shortly and replace them and make a note on them that they have been corrected!

I'm was just looking at Eric Archers schematic he posted and it looked initially like the middle pin of the 2N3704 transistor was connected... BUT actually, I believe you are right here again!! I used a PN100 as a replacement for the 2N3704.

OK, so I have a bit of fixing up to do. My soldered board has all of the faults you have found! INCLUDING C25!!! Time to heat up the iron and pull out some components.

Once again: THANKS HEAPS for your help!!

I have another of Eric's circuits almost illustrated. It's a lot more lo fi than this though. It's been residing on my desktop for months 90% complete. I should finish it and post it! I could move on to the 808 hi hat after that. Maybe I should consult you first 6079smith before I mislead others! Laughing

Last edited by -minus- on Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
-minus-

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey glitched: send me a PM with your postal address and I'll throw some stripboard your way if it helps.
-minus-

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

6079smith wrote:
Yeah, the collector on the 2n3704 -middle pin- is unconnected, and the emitter connects to R39 instead.

um.... isn't the middle pin the base? Looking legs down with the flat side facing you, I thought it was left to right EMITTER, BASE, COLLECTOR. Hold on, I'll check for a data sheet..... scratch
-minus-

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK... getting there! Here's the pin layout for the 2N3704 and the PN100 transistors. Note the difference! I may have to post two different layouts for the two different transistors.

2N3704.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  18.6 KB
 Viewed:  49251 Time(s)

2N3704.jpg

PN100.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  22.38 KB
 Viewed:  49251 Time(s)

PN100.jpg

-minus-

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It looks as if the layout at present is correct for the PN100 but NOT for the 2N3704. I'll triple check this though.... I'll amend the component list accordingly and change the values of C1 to 6n8 and C25 to 47uF.

I should probably post a separate version for the 2N3704...
-minus-

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just fixed up the component list. The layout is the one where the PN100 is used rather than the 2N3704. Yet to try the gate to trigger circuit, but I shall breadboard it shortly and see if it rectifies the triggering issue. It sounds OK triggering from rail 21, hole 38... but I should see if I can get it happening from the correct point.

Hmmm.... and I should fix up the pot wiring as some of the pots are wired in reverse! I can never seem to get that right! My toast always falls buttered side down...
twntysx

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What a really great job. Did you do the same for the BD on the TR808?

Regards,
-minus-

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi 26! Slacker did the bass drum stripboard diagram here:

http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-37646.html&postorder=asc

Still having triggering issues with the snare... I'll sort it out soon... I seem to be lost on a huge drone tangent at present. It does trigger but not from the spot it should.
wizardsofzen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

so uhm... where can i find 22k B potentiometers? small bear shows 25k ones.... is that a resistor tack on to step down?
sneakthief

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

25KB will definitely work in place of 22KB.
marvkaye

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I prepped and mostly populated a stripboard for one of these over the last two days, the very clear artwork made the job pretty simple. Multiple thumbs up for the great job. As soon as I receive the couple resistors and caps that weren't in my stock I'll get it done.

I also went ahead and laid out striboard for a double CGS24, gate-to-trigger converter. (Couldn't believe I had a piece of cutoff from another project that was exactly the right size... what are the odds, huh? Wink ) Seeing as how they're so small & simple I'll probably do several more

I figured these would be excellent additions to my percussion cabinet... so far I've got Thomas Henry's MPS and his quad Bass++ boards, now this and a Liquid Hi-Hat and I should be pretty well setup. I suspect, though, that there will be other additions along the way, this DIY stuff is pretty addictive. Exciting stuff... thanks so much for sharing.

<marv>

PS... someone was asking about a less expensive source than Mouser for stripboard... Futurelec has 110x94mm boards for $1.95 and 94x53mm ones for 95 cents... FYI
Paradigm X

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

marvkaye wrote:
I prepped and mostly populated a stripboard for one of these over the last two days, the very clear artwork made the job pretty simple. Multiple thumbs up for the great job. As soon as I receive the couple resistors and caps that weren't in my stock I'll get it done.

I also went ahead and laid out striboard for a double CGS24, gate-to-trigger converter. (Couldn't believe I had a piece of cutoff from another project that was exactly the right size... what are the odds, huh? Wink ) Seeing as how they're so small & simple I'll probably do several more

I figured these would be excellent additions to my percussion cabinet... so far I've got Thomas Henry's MPS and his quad Bass++ boards, now this and a Liquid Hi-Hat and I should be pretty well setup. I suspect, though, that there will be other additions along the way, this DIY stuff is pretty addictive. Exciting stuff... thanks so much for sharing.

<marv>

PS... someone was asking about a less expensive source than Mouser for stripboard... Futurelec has 110x94mm boards for $1.95 and 94x53mm ones for 95 cents... FYI

Heh, sound slike my 'to be built' drum box!

Any chance of posting the CGS stripboard layout?

Many thanks

Ben
marvkaye

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Any chance of posting the CGS stripboard layout?

Sure, not a problem... I'll do that this evening when I get home from work. I'll put up a picture or two of the board as well.

<marv>
marvkaye

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:52 pm    Post subject: CGS24 stripboard Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here is the stripboard for the double CGS24 module.

CGS24_sbd_top.jpg
 Description:
CGS24 X 2 stripboard top
 Filesize:  268.18 KB
 Viewed:  877 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

CGS24_sbd_top.jpg

CGS24_sbd_bot.jpg
 Description:
CGS24 X 2 stripboard bottom
 Filesize:  245.21 KB
 Viewed:  764 Time(s)

CGS24_sbd_bot.jpg

cgs24x2.jpg
 Description:
CGS24 X 2 stripboard photo ... incomplete, waiting for ferrites
 Filesize:  70.28 KB
 Viewed:  764 Time(s)

cgs24x2.jpg

Paradigm X

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Awesome, msny thanks for detailed reply !

Cheers ben
Very Happy
marcushorndt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:58 am    Post subject: trigger vs. accent Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Did you actually mix up accent and trigger? I recently soldered it together and it worked, but was quite a lot louder than the DIY 808 Kick I finished. And i could not get it working with the trigger-network from Eric Archer.

Did eventually anybody lay out a HH on stripboard?

Thanks for the good work and effort
ringroad

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just got this working on stripboard, wanted to share my joy and pass on my compliments to the chef, cheers to minus for the layout.

Didn't seem to be very happy on 9v, but is working great on 15v. I used a 2N3704, and just swapped the top two legs around, with a bit of heat shrink over the crossed leg to stop it from shorting.

Just to say it triggers fine direct from my 606. Am tempted to have a crack at the congas/toms next, will post a layout if I get it done.
-minus-

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great to hear it worked for you! I breadboarded the hats a few months back but have yet to get back to the soldering Crying or Very sad . I'll post too when I get around to it.
Snaper

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Is it possible to use a 2N3904 instead of the PN100?
Pinout is the same, for noise source it should be OK ...
-minus-

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes it should work fine. It might be worth testing a few, even if they are of the same type. Some seem noisier than others. I've found 2N2222's are quite good, but maybe that is just the batch I had. Laughing Socketing transistors is a good idea- easy to swap them out.
Snaper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

-minus- wrote:
Yes it should work fine. It might be worth testing a few, even if they are of the same type. Some seem noisier than others. I've found 2N2222's are quite good, but maybe that is just the batch I had. Laughing Socketing transistors is a good idea- easy to swap them out.

I've heard rumors that if you hit the mwith a hammer, they producing more noise Very Happy
Anyway, cause its a noise, yes, should socket that one, and try different types Very Happy
LektroiD

G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It seems there were some last minute changes made to the schematic, which are mentioned in the TR-808 Service Manual, but have not been implemented in this layout...

SDchanges.jpg
 Description:
Changes
 Filesize:  22.63 KB
 Viewed:  32235 Time(s)

SDchanges.jpg

SD.jpg
 Description:
Snare schematic
 Filesize:  181.2 KB
 Viewed:  622 Time(s)

SD.jpg

Page 2 of 3 [72 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » The layout factory
Jump to: