electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nomad - NM1 Open Source Editor
Nomad working on a MAC -> resolved!
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
chupchups

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:24 am    Post subject:  Nomad working on a MAC -> resolved! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hello,

I would like to give you my experience about the excellent nomad tool running on a mac 10.6.6 Smile

In fact, since a long time, I tried to use nomad but I get the usual issue "time out" issue which never appeared on a windows instance Sad

I read and read a lot fo stuff on forums but can not get A solution to MY problem. In the end I found my own solution that I will share with you now Wink)))

So my setup is:
- A macintosh laptop using OS Tiger 10.6.6 + Ableton Live 8
- I have an USB EDIROL 2x2 MIDI box connected from my mac to the Nord modular G1
- I have a MOTU 828 MKIII connected via Firewire 800.

The solution?
Well, I tried several configuration before finding the solution to my problem:
1- in the MIDI/Audio setup of the MAC, I have removed all the configurations. In fact, if you go to the pannel control of your mac, then utility folder, you find a software to configure MIDI connections -> I removed all the settings there.
2- I noticed that if my macintosh was in french, nomad does not work -> I am now working with an ENGLISH MAC instance Wink
3- then...
3.1 - I don't plug the MOTU Firewire cable!
3.2 I launch NOMAD software,
3.3 I can see the Nord modular synth !!! I can communicate, etc!
3.4 I insert then the cable FIrewire from my MOTU to my computer
3.5 I launch ableton live
Everyhting is fine!

I guess that my time out issue is coming from the MOTU !!!

to resume, my advices would be:
- if you are on a mac -> setup the language to ENGLISH (important, otherwise it does not work!)
- disconnect all your USB/firewire connection before launching the nomad tool,
- once the nomad tool running and your Nord modular connection established, then,
- insert your firewire cable to your computer, switch on your MOTU and launch your favorite DAW.

hope it helps!
mihozu

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi chupschups.
I once managed to use nomad on my mac but i cannot do it anymore as i always get midi time outs.
I'd like to ask more details about your configuration :
- what's your version of JavaVM ?
- have you put libosxmidispi.jnilib and osxmidispi.jar provided with nomad in /Library/Java/Extensions ??
- do you have this issue with the morph applying inverse ?
Thanks
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

How bizarre that you must choose English to get it to work! That's a bug!
IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
chupchups

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:44 am    Post subject: my answers Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

- what's your version of JavaVM ?
jvm V1.6_06
mac os 10.6.6

- have you put libosxmidispi.jnilib and osxmidispi.jar provided with nomad in /Library/Java/Extensions ??
yes!
- do you have this issue with the morph applying inverse ?
arrf, I need to check this, sorry, can't answer! I didnot notice anything on this matter...
monotremata

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Not to beat a dead horse yet again but..
How did I miss this thread last time I was here troubleshooting???

My MOTU 828MKII turned out to be the culprit. Nomad always worked as it should up until around the time I finally replaced my G4 with a G5, which was like 2011 I think.. So at some point one of MOTU's updates did something to the MIDI driver that breaks communication with Nomad. Whatever they did is still going on today in the latest and greatest driver. Makes sense your MK3 and my MK2 do it since all the FW stuff uses the same driver.

Its weird, when I figured this out, I noticed that when the MOTU is off, and you select your MIDI port (I have an Emagic AMT8) the ports are all named appropriately like I have them setup in AudioMIDI Setup. When the MOTU's on, the port names revert to just Port 1(1), Port 2(2). Where before it was like AMT8 Port1: MicrowaveXT or something similar to that..

Either way problem solved. Fire up Nomad, connect to the Modular, THEN turn on the MOTU and noodle away.. Although occasionally it will lose communication at random and youll have to restart the whole process.

Now somebody pick up development cause I need the floating keyboard to test out patches I cant make noodles all the time!! Wink
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nomad - NM1 Open Source Editor
Jump to: