electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Strings and things
Fenders
Page 2 of 2 [45 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

"embedded titanium rails"

Jesus that sounds good.....
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Is this J Custom an Ibanez then?

Do you have a link?
DrJustice

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah, it's an Ibby. Here's a link to the type I am so lucky to own. Extreme quality and playability at a not so extreme price.

BobTheDog wrote:
"embedded titanium rails"

Jesus that sounds good.....

Works good too. I haven't needed to touch the neck, or anything else for that matter, in the almost two years since I got it.

DJ
--
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cheers for that.

So there is no way to coil split those humbuckers built in?
DrJustice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No split on that one, other than the split+middle provided by the 5-way selector. A simple push-pull pot can fix that though...

Edit: sorry for having no Fender related contribution... Embarassed

DJ
--

Last edited by DrJustice on Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:52 am; edited 1 time in total
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Are those ultra rare or something?

Google shopping has nothing!

Did find this though http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/electric_guitars_detail.asp?stock=11062315271729 looks interesting.
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

or even better maybe http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/eg_page11.php?area_id=3&data_id=248&color=CL01&year=2011&cat_id=1&series_id=487

Bloody hell looking at the ibanez site is not a good idea!
DrJustice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, they're quite rare. They're the top flight limited production models made for the Japanese market. They also make some very exclusive JC models for a couple of stores in Japan. If you want one you can always get one, but you used to have to import it from Japan. JCs have recently also been made officially available in the US.

Popular places to get them are Ishibashi (on eBay) and Kurosawa. You can get new ones in the US now, e.g. from Ibanez Rules. This guy used to be a steady source for JCs (seems to have almost dried up lately though), and there are others on eBay.

Here's the current range, BTW. That includes a really snazzy one in the style/shape of the S model, similar to the one you linked to above.

DJ
--
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for all the info Are.

I have an old S Prestige here, fantastic guitar, makes you wonder what else they could do for the JC version!
GovernorSilver

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Back when I was more into Satriani, Gambale, and Vai (as a listener), I admired their Ibanez guitars.

If I had the spare cash, I'd consider picking one up as an act of rebellion against the current fashion, which states that vintage guitars are cool and "shredder guitars" are not. You're especially hipster if you have a Jazzmaster. Laughing

I do have some limits though. I can't stand flamed maple finishes.

Some old stuff on VIRB
DrJustice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

^ That's perfectly understandable, Governor - of course, a real rebellion against the jazzmaster trend requires nothig less than an RG in bright pink, with a green pickguard, red knobs, yellow bobbins and blue sharkfin inlays Very Happy

DJ
--
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well I got a stratolike, a G&L legacy 30th Aniversary.

http://www.glguitars.com/instruments/usa/30th_Anniversary/legacy/index.asp

And very nice it is Smile
DES

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Congrats! G&L makes fine instruments. Razz
Oskar

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Seconded!
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks guys.

It sure sounds nice the pickups are very good, a bit noisy but thats the price you pay I suppose.

Unfortunately it has been set up with what look like 12s which are cutting my pansy fingers to shreds, also the action is a tad high.

So it's the toolset out tomorow to sort it out.
DrJustice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Congrats! White body & ebony fretboard - I like that! Very Happy

How are you getting on with the neck thickness/shape/radius?

DJ
--
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cheers.

The neck is pretty nice, less depth than any of the Fenders I tried but not up to Ibanez thinness levels.

Once I have put some lighter strings on I think it will be very nice.

The tremolo is pretty good as well, feels a bit like a floating one.

Also the treble and bass roll off controls are a pretty good idea, i wonder why more guitars don'e have this aproach.

It is actually a rather nice guitar, definitely more of a "I want one of these" thing than the Fenders I tried, even the custom ones costing twice the amount!
GovernorSilver

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Congrats, Andy!

The bad news: There are just many choices for noiseless Strat-style pickups are there are Strat and Strat-like models. DiMarzio makes some which got some good reviews. Fender's SCN noiseless are reportedly good.

Kinman also reportedly makes excellent noiseless single coils but for a much higher price.

Some old stuff on VIRB
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I must admit I am happier with pickups that sound good but are a bit noisy, all the 'noiseless' ones I tried just didn't quite have the single coil sound I was after.

These ones pick up quite a bit of noise if I am not earthed, if I earth myself then they are pretty noiseless.
GovernorSilver

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:
I must admit I am happier with pickups that sound good but are a bit noisy, all the 'noiseless' ones I tried just didn't quite have the single coil sound I was after.

These ones pick up quite a bit of noise if I am not earthed, if I earth myself then they are pretty noiseless.

Ah, that's good then.

I looked into noiseless single coils for my Parker Nitefly Strat-like, because the ones on the Parker are very noisy. I was referred to the Kinmans by some fellow Parker owners, particularly the Woodstock Set. The Nitefly is a bright sounding axe because of the stainless steel frets and composite neck - they found the Hendrixian warmth of the Woodstocks improved the sound.

Some old stuff on VIRB
Page 2 of 2 [45 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Strings and things
Jump to: