electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Strings and things
My bass set up for live Drum & Bass/Dubstep
Page 1 of 1 [18 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
ourhelicalmind

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:54 pm    Post subject: My bass set up for live Drum & Bass/Dubstep Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi folks,

Though people might be interested in what I use for my live drum and bass set up. I'm Shep, the bass half of Our Helical Mind. My live set up consists of the following...

I'm an endorsee of Roscoe Guitars and I only ever use my Roscoe Century 3006 Custom Fretless with Our Helical Mind (I own a fretted version too). I run this into an EBS 1v2 Rack Preamp, Crown XTi 1000 Power amp and a Barefaced Big Twin T cab.

Signal processing gets a little more complex as what we do is 'pretty much' all analogue - as such there are no samplers or sequencers, so everything that you hear it either a drum beat from the kit or me playing a string, pushing a foot pedal or tweaking a knob!

Set up looks a little like this -
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

I think of the bass as a modular synth - 6 oscillators and my pedalboard is the keyboard, using different controls to change perimeters of the sound. Anyone interested in the set up any further, get in touch!

Shep

BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looks line an interesting setup!
ourhelicalmind

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks!

There have been a few minor changes since this pic actually. The Whammy DT has been removed (along with one of the Moog EP-2 expression pedals) and been replaced with an Eventide Pitchfactor (plus expression pedal). Theres also a Boss PN-2 and a Tone Factor Fuzz Saw added.

Great bits of kit.

Not sold on the Fuzzsaw yet - but it's growing on me!

D.MiƱoza
Stream Operator

Audio files: 31

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

nice rig.

that small army of moogs looks fun!

~ D.

ourhelicalmind

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah I'm a bot of a Moog supporter! Smile The MP-201 controller really brings them to life as well. I'm constantly finding new stuff they can do!
GovernorSilver

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ourhelicalmind wrote:
Thanks!

There have been a few minor changes since this pic actually. The Whammy DT has been removed (along with one of the Moog EP-2 expression pedals) and been replaced with an Eventide Pitchfactor (plus expression pedal).

Why did you replace the Whammy DT with the PitchFactor?

Some old stuff on VIRB
ourhelicalmind

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Unconventionally I run the Whammy AFTER all the 'dirt' effects in my chain. This goes against Digitech's recommendations for tracking etc, however the octave whammy effects sound much more synthesised in doing so.

There is a huge difference between taking a bass signal and pushing it up 2 octaves then adding fuzz to the high signal - this makes it sound like an electric guitar, compared to... Taking a bass signal, adding fuzz, them moving the new sound up 2 octaves - this sounds like a synth!

Set back here is that whammy sucks some serious top end from the signal. All the Digitech Whammy's have done this, but many folk don't notice as they run it 1st in the chain and there is usually not massive top end in the signal from your instrument. Distortion however adds masses off top end harmonics which the whammy cuts if it comes afterwards. It sounds like turning your tweeter on and off as you bypass the pedal!

The Pitchfactor retains tone perfectly when engaged, and so was the perfect choice and octave climbing and diving is a big part of my sound. This also adds an argeggiator to my set up and lots more ambient options.

Expensive - but I'm happy with the move.

DES

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice rig! Love the pedal board setup. Razz
ourhelicalmind

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DES wrote:

Thanks dude. It's great until you move it for gigs like tonight. Its strictly a 2 man carry - and a heavy one at that! Sad

DES

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ourhelicalmind wrote:
DES wrote:

Thanks dude. It's great until you move it for gigs like tonight. Its strictly a 2 man carry - and a heavy one at that! Sad

You got my sympathy! Laughing I used to use a number of pedals with my bass rig but after having them drenched in beverages by over-zealous fans, drunks, etc., I decided just to go with a V-bass. Not as versitile but easier to protect and carry. I would like to integrate my laptop rig more into the bass rig - I use it with my Chapman stick a lot. Not playing out much anymore, so everything can sit in the studio nice and cozy like.

ourhelicalmind

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DES wrote:
ourhelicalmind wrote:
DES wrote:

You got my sympathy! Laughing I used to use a number of pedals with my bass rig but after having them drenched in beverages by over-zealous fans, drunks, etc., I decided just to go with a V-bass. Not as versitile but easier to protect and carry. I would like to integrate my laptop rig more into the bass rig - I use it with my Chapman stick a lot. Not playing out much anymore, so everything can sit in the studio nice and cozy like.

I had a good play with the V-Bass stuff and it was a serious consideration. I couldn't get on with the fact everything was in one box. I find the concept of this pedal = this parameter and that pedal = the parameter etc.

The case with the lid on clocks in at around 32KG though so its a damn sight heavier than my amp & cab!

GovernorSilver

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ourhelicalmind wrote:
Unconventionally I run the Whammy AFTER all the 'dirt' effects in my chain. This goes against Digitech's recommendations for tracking etc, however the octave whammy effects sound much more synthesised in doing so.

Ah that makes sense.

I didn't pay much attention to the Whammy DT until one of my favorite guitarists in the world posted a positive review on it. I'm sure he uses it the conventional way (DT in front of dirt instead of behind).

On the subject of V-things, I have a Roland VG-99. Once I got the hang of the UI, I found parameter adjustments to be fairly quick. But I do like using separate pedals in parallel or in place of the VG-99, depending on the gig. I won't give up the VG-99 though because of the alternate tunings, virtual GR300, and other features.

Some old stuff on VIRB
ourhelicalmind

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah - The DT is great and packed with features. I imagine that not many folks run it after dirt - It sounds unnatural, which is obviously something that 'most' folk would want to avoid at all costs! I'm just awkward Smile
ourhelicalmind

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A few tweaks and line up changes...

Stuff you can't see (on the lower level): ZVEX Mastotron, 3Leaf Groove Regulator, EHX Nano Bass Balls, Myrtle Effect Corvid Fuzz, Fulltone Bass Drive.

Signal chain for those geeky enough to be interested...

(Bass) >
Stageclix wireless receiver >
Input of Boss LS-2 Line Selector >

----- LS-2 Channel 1 send > (THIS IS MY 'NOISE' CHANNEL)
--- Boss OC-2 Octave (Marked Ch.1 in photos) >
----- Input of Bypass Looper >
--- Zvex Mastotron (Bypass Looper switch 1) >
--- WMD Geiger Counter (Bypass Looper switch 2) >
--- Corvid Effects Myrtle Fuzz (Bypass Looper switch 3) >
--- FullTone Bass Drive (Bypass Looper switch 4) >
--- Moogerfooger MF-107 FreqBox [Moog EP-2 connected to Frequency & MP-201 connected to Mix] (Bypass Looper switch 5) >
--- EHX Nano Bass Balls (Bypass Looper switch 6) >
--- 3Leaf Audio Groove Regulator (Bypass Looper switch 7) >
--- Boss PN-2 Tremolo/Pan (Bypass Looper switch Cool >
----- Output of Bypass Looper >
--- Eventide Pitchfactor (Connected to Ernie Ball VP JR Pedal) >
--- Moogerfooger MF-102 Ring Modulator (MP-201 connected to Frequency and LFO Out patched to 12-Stage Phaser Sweep In) >
--- Moogerfooger MF-103 12-Stage Phaser >
--- Moogerfooger MF-108M Cluster Flux >
--- Moogerfooger MF-101 Low Pass Filter (MP-201 connected to Cut-Off and Mix) >
----- LS-2 Channel 1 return >

----- LS-2 Channel 2 send > (THIS IS MY 'SUB' CHANNEL)
--- Boss OC-2 Octave (Marked Ch.2 in photos) >
--- Boss GEB-7 Bass EQ >
--- EBS Unichorus >
----- LS-2 Channel 2 return >

Boss LS-2 Line Selector Output >
Boss DD-20 Giga Delay >
> (Amp)

Make sense? Thought not Smile

jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Actually that's great Wink

I have my bass rig centered around a Sonic-Core SCOPE XITE-1, with a Softstep as the foot controller, and iPad/Lemur for tweaking. Driven by a Steinberger Synapse 5 string w/ Axon50 midi conversion. I really like the accents MIDI allows, but tracking doesn't compare to playing with analog signals directly (hence the modular in SCOPE).

I'll post some info about it once I iron out a few new things added over the holidays. Thanks for posting your rig, it's always a learning experience to see other Bass rigs that use more than an amp or a pedal, since it's twice as difficult to get the pedals to play nice with the lower freqs without sucking tone.
ourhelicalmind

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thats a pretty interesting set up yourself.

I've avoided midi as much as I can, simply because much of our 'charm' is in analog tones. I should mention tho that I do have a midi clock in which controls the tempo of my tremolo's and Dubstep wobbles. We play live to a click generated by the same unit so my tremolos are I'm sync with our click. No midi control message or triggering used though.

ourhelicalmind

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Vids from the weekends gig... Please listen via hi-fi or headphones - laptop speakers tend not to reproduce the 40hz so well

http://youtu.be/jif7E2FKLds

And,

http://youtu.be/aOApHtg5aCM

ourhelicalmind

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Took a decent camera to the studio today so I though I'd take some snaps that look a little sharper than those off my iPhone. Before anyone says it - yes, I know the Polytune Mini is upside down!

Shep

Page 1 of 1 [18 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Strings and things
Jump to: