electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Kyma
Kyma Setup
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
horizens

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:26 pm    Post subject: Kyma Setup Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've been trying to get the paca/rana integrated in my system and have run into a bunch of roadblocks along the way.

I purchased the 828mk3 hybrid as my sole audio/midi interface. I'm using an iMac so I only have one Firewire 800 port.

Ideally, I'd love a solution where I can run Cubase or Ableton, send midi data (notes, controller msg) to Kyma, and record the audio back into either DAW. If I could sync Kyma's timeline that would be a bonus.

I have Kyma working fine on its own with the 828. I can trigger sounds and hear audio. I can't get either DAW to send midi to Kyma however. I haven't tried using osculator but I will. What I'm confused about is how to get audio out of Kyma if it's sharing the same interface.

Is there any way to get this setup working or would this require two audio interfaces?
robsol
Stream Operator

Audio files: 495

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Kyma Setup Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

horizens wrote:
... or would this require two audio interfaces?

In short, yes. It's a similar situation to trying to get two computers to share the same interface.

However, there has been talk of having Kyma show up as an AU in your DAW. I thought that would happen in the latest update, which was quite a major one, but not so... If you can wait, this may be part of a future update. It won't hurt sending a mail to Symbolic Sound to see what is happening in this area, see what they say.

horizens

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Gotcha. Thanks.

I'm surprised that it's not possible to at least select the internal system audio outputs. Then, using a utility like soundflower, it would be possible to route to a DAW's inputs.

I'll check with them regarding the AU. That would be so much cleaner.
sitarman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have had luck by using a class compliant midii-usb interfadct running from my pacarana, plugged into the usb port on the pacarana, to my midi in and out on my sound card. These interfaces are cheap , sopmertrhing like this is what I have
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PC-USB-MIDI-keyboard-Interface-Converter-Cable-Cord-/190613699663?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c61763c4f

Mine has been working great.
horizens

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the feedback. It looks like using one interface isn't an option so I'm thinking about going with this setup. What do you guys think?

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/610822/Setup.pdf

I'd like the ability to use the Continuum with both Kyma and Ableton.
BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looks like a way to go, I have a similar setup using a fireface 800 and konnekt48.
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Kyma
Jump to: