electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
I hate passwords
Page 1 of 1 [17 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
King Rat

Audio files: 5
G2 patch files: 13

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:14 pm    Post subject: I hate passwords Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK
No welcome to the forum smiley faces please - having spent the past six months visiting and contributing to this forum every day, my brain chose today to completely forget all my passwords etc. It was a toss up between beating my laptop to death with a large Stratocaster or accepting my fate and creating a new user account. In the end, economics won.
So anyway, I had a question. I want to use the sound of the attached patch in a song with my band. The rhythmic effect is create by modulating the filter frequency. However, I need to be able to sync this to a clock (so I can make it a slave to a drum machine which our drummer uses for a click). Can't work out how to generate the same sound but using a clock module rather than LFOs. Any advice?
Cheers
Angus

fat bass1.pch2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  fat bass1.pch2
 Filesize:  3.06 KB
 Downloaded:  1276 Time(s)

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is not a welcome smiley :-)

It seems to me that you could set the leftmost column of LFO's to Clk mode instead of BPM. Did I overlook something ?

Jan.
King Rat

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ah!
I see.
OK - that makes it a bit easier. Didn't know there was a clock sync setting on those modules.
Thanks Jan
Angus (guy who sat drinking beers, smoking tabs and dreaming of a better life at Enschede "airport" - now under the Electro-music nomme de plume of King Rat)
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ah rightt, remamber now, the wether is about the same here to day as then, pretty miserable. Ah well, pretty ain't ugly.

I don't know how this bass sounds "in the wild" but on headphones I llike it.

Jan.
King Rat

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If what you mean by "in the wild" is over a PA system, you make a very good point. So often I come up with cool stuff (or, at least, find cool stuff posted on this forum) only for it to sound terrible over a PA. Wonder why that is?
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Basically because headphones and PAs treat sound differently, but you knew that I guess.

My stuff might sound not too good on a PA, as when I don't work with headphones I use my 7 dollar speaker system.

I know not much about the subject. Using the search facility of this BB you might be able to find some usefull threads. They can't wait to be discovered, sometimes :-)

Jan.
ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I did live sound for years, it’s difficult (understatement) to get it sounding like a home stereo. There is only so much you can do at sound check because an empty venue sounds totally different to one full of bodies. Apart from the dampening effect, the increase in temperature and humidity actually alter the speed of sound which shifts all the peaks and troughs around. I should stop or I will just go on and on about crappy PA’s and Venues.
As far as G2 sounds go, for live use, avoid adding much reverb. Simple and clean helps and most venues have more than enough ambience. High volume tends to exaggerate problems, if it sounds shitty, turn the main volume down, not up.
King Rat

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the tips.
Funnily enough, did a gig last night and the sound engineer was complaining that the output level from the G2 was really low and that he had that channel set to almost max gain to get enough volume out of it. The output of the G2 does seem to be quite low, but it has never been a problem in the past.
Also find that a lot of harsh, high freq sounds (like if you open a filter "too far") don't work in rock venues over the PA - just sounds like a load of white noise out front.
I suppose even in the high-tech world of virtual analogue synths, it's still 90% art as opposed to science...
And fortunately, our keyboard player plays my Nord so she gets all the blame if things go wrong. Very Happy
King Rat

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Another question, by the way...
I'm trying to use the arpeggiator in conjunction with an opening filter, but I want trigger the filter envelope when I physically press the key, and not retrigger every time a note plays because the arpeggiator is switched on.
i.e. i want rhythmic notes in time with a click, but with a filter which opens slowly as you hold down the key so the notes get gradually harsher. Evidently, even if you connect the trig input of a filter env to the gate output of the kybd module, the G2 still interprets each arpeggiated note as a new key press.
Confused
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 213
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What a wild bass patch! Got any samples of music using this patch? I suspect I would like it. Wink

Last edited by mosc on Fri Mar 11, 2005 8:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ian-s

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd use a pulse module to streach the triggers into one. You need to set the pulse time long enough to blend the pulses, but not so long that you cant retrigger on a new chord.

EnvSweepArp.pch2
 Description:
sweep FC while arping

Download
 Filename:  EnvSweepArp.pch2
 Filesize:  1.65 KB
 Downloaded:  1649 Time(s)

King Rat

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I see what you mean.
The problem there though is that if I want the filter to reset every time I change note and, say, each held note is 4/4 bar long, I have to set the pulse length to exactly four quarter notes long, and any change in the tempo at which we decided to play the song or discrepancy between my master clock on my drum machine and the G2 will throw the timing out.
Is there no way of differentiating between a physical key press and an arpeggiator note?
Angus
P.S. Howard - there's some of our music on www.kingrat.net , but this mostly predates my G2 purchase and definitely predates any attempts to hook up our drummer to a click and use some sequenced patches. It clearly also predates my ability to play bass guitar!
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

King Rat wrote:
Is there no way of differentiating between a physical key press and an arpeggiator note?

Not that I know of.

Quote:
The problem there though is that if I want the filter to reset every time I change note and, say, each held note is 4/4 bar long, I have to set the pulse length to exactly four quarter notes long, and any change in the tempo at which we decided to play the song or discrepancy between my master clock on my drum machine and the G2 will throw the timing out.

You could probably use an LFO set to clk mode, reset it to start the pulse. This will repeat of course after a while but using a suitable rate and a suitable PWM setting that could be delayed. You'll have to play a bit with the settings to get it right, but once set right it should track the clock.

Jan.
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 213
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

King Rat wrote:

P.S. Howard - there's some of our music on www.kingrat.net ,

Nice stuff. Real songs... thumb up

Thanks...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
King Rat

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks.
Bought the G2 to add some spice to the mix and even though I'm still a complete novice in its use, it has definitely added a lot to our gigs.
ian-s

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

King Rat wrote:
I see what you mean.
Angus

Here is another idea, if you have a few % dsp spare in another slot as shown in this prf.
Both slots have key focus but the arpeggio is only set on slot A. Inter slot midi passes the gate signal. You can choose between MONO and LEGATO voice mode in slot B to determine if you retrigger on all new notes or just when you play a new chord.

arpSweep.prf2
 Description:
single trigger env sweep arp

Download
 Filename:  arpSweep.prf2
 Filesize:  3.69 KB
 Downloaded:  1513 Time(s)

King Rat

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Or, I suppose, I should just forget about the arpeggiator in this instance and just use a sequencer module to replicate the arp effect, then the filter env can just be hooked up to the kbd gate.

Filter sweep arpeg.pch2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Filter sweep arpeg.pch2
 Filesize:  1.57 KB
 Downloaded:  1110 Time(s)

Page 1 of 1 [17 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: