electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Ableton
Ableton--percussion frequency problems.
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
laura woodswalker

Audio files: 18

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:05 pm    Post subject: Ableton--percussion frequency problems. Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi! I have been having this problem with Ableton drum sounds.

I have been learning Ableton MIDI and the Novation SLMK 25. When I load a drum rack, the cymbals sound like crap. Same with things like Shakers. I have been told to "add reverb" and "drop and EQ module in." But this doesn't help when the original sample (an Ableton instrument) has almost no sound.

The problem is not just with MIDI. I tried recording a drum track from my Electribe onto an Audio track. Same problem: shakers and cymbals do not come thru.

I am starting to suspect my soundcard. I thought when I ditched my crappy Lexicon interface & replaced it with a Tascam 144MK, I would be able to record things with high-frequency percussion.

Any ideas?

laura woodswalker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject: Ableton--percussion frequency problems. Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh, and another layer to this problem: I found an old Ableton session I did which contains a clip of this same Electribe drum pattern. The shakers sound FINE! So it can't be my sound card....
RFBB

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So when you are working with this Drum rack, you can't hear the samples or are they over driven? Elaborate on what "sounds like crap" means?

M.Peck
www.mpeckmusic.blogspot.com
www.reverbnation.com/echotomb
laura woodswalker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

RFBB wrote:
So when you are working with this Drum rack, you can't hear the samples or are they over driven? Elaborate on what "sounds like crap" means?

Yeah I should have been more specific. I could barely hear them, if at all.

I experimented with this for awhile. Tried putting an auto-filter or an EQ module in my cymbal track. Didn't help.
Finally realized the problem might be that I have an Auto Filter in my Master track on Ableton. The frequency & reso are mapped to 2 knobs on my SLMKI and I use this for cutoff effects on my instruments. The problem with knobs that effect ALL the instruments... when these knobs are set to the 'middle' position (12 oclock) and my instruments sound normal... this could be cutting off most of those hi freq sounds on things like cymbals & shakers!

When I turned off the filter module in the master track, the cymbals sounded just FINE!!! Laughing

which sort of solved THIS problem but left me with ANOTHER problem... how can I set up a "universal" auto filter control that I can easily grab, rather than having to stick one in every single instrument I use?

Hmmm.... non MIDI synths were so much less complicated....

Wellll, there IS another way... forget about cymbals & percussion in Ableton.... just use the Electribe.

RFBB

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You can always use your send-returns for that Auto Filter. That way you can play with it per track rather than that specific effect on your Master channel. Another option is Side Chaining.

Yes, your other option to use the ESX will work, but can perhaps limit you on your cymbal and shaker options. I'd encourage you to tough it out and explore your options in Abe.

M.Peck
www.mpeckmusic.blogspot.com
www.reverbnation.com/echotomb
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Ableton
Jump to: