electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » How-tos » Ambiophonic Sound Reproduction
Another newbie
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Jackfrost

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:17 am    Post subject: Another newbie
Subject description: using demo (mosc-ambio) in Foobar, waiting for full dll
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi everyone,

After using mosc-ambio, the demo program, I decided this is more than a parlor trick and it would be well worth the ten dollars for the full release. I'm sure to get ten dollars of fun out of this program and I'm glad to help support the site.

Finding all the pieces of the puzzle to get things working took some effort but my interest in the project made it enjoyable. Running 64 bit Win 7 with Foobar and RCA Lyra DAC on my bookshelf setup. Not bad at all. I had no troubles. Next I will be trying this on my big speakers.

I am all paid up using Paypal and awaiting my email for further instructions on downloading the full dll. Stillstream is sounding pretty awesome right now.

Thanks,

Jim
rmiller

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Congratulations on deciding on our Ambiophonic DSP plug-in - and thanks for supporting electro-music.com. While Howard and I are confident you'll be pleased with the outcome, we appreciate user feedback.

The User Guide is of necessity brief and objective, but we've been asked many times for more subjective operating tips - so as the developer of RACE, here are mine...

First (and less interesting), the four "set-and-forget" controls are: "Recursion" for your individual head attenuation, "Delay" for the fixed relationship between speaker angle and your head width, "Balance" for compensating inequities in your system, and "Volume" as your amplifier's volume is to be preferred.

Much more exciting, you'll be adjusting AmbioDSP's two proprietary controls for each recording: "Zentrum" for correcting critical center imaging that varies by the microphone method used in each recording - typical setting ~3.6. "Space" can enhance spatial effect often lacking in commercial recordings in order to sound more present/intimate in domestic settings - typical setting 0~1.8.

Experimenting with extreme settings of Zentrum and Space may introduce artifacts as undesirable as those that Ambiophonics is intended to correct: stereo's raspy (comb-filtered) voices, and reproducing only in front desirable spatial acoustic reflections and reverberation instead of enveloping the listener as in real life. Soon, your entire CD/LP collection and compositions will seem new again, clearly illustrating how AmbioDSP rescues voices, reveals details layered in the mix, separates auditory events, and approaches the listener envelopment (LEV) of multichannel surround.

For pre-newbies out there, we suggest you try pre-processed demos at www.filmaker.com/products.htm (using your closely-spaced PC/laptop speakers to approximate the ideal 16 degree speaker angle for Ambiophonics), then decide whether the AmbioDSP plug-in is right for you. (You can then purchase at http://electro-music.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/114 and consult the included User Guide for setting up.) We look forward to your joy!

Jackfrost

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the tips rmiller they were useful. Installation was straight forward in Foobar.

Two of my CD's, always my favorites, sounded as if the walls and ceiling floated away. Handel's Messiah and Bach Organ... Wow this stuff is cool. I've dived in... it is really an adventure. Not all recordings are so good but they are all new. Thanks.

Wish list:

How about being able to double the size of the control box. I'm running a "fire sale" HP Touchpad to control my AV computer. A larger control panel would make using my finger (touchpad) easier.

Installation:

After moving AmbiophonicDSP.dll and default-programs.txt to Foobar2000/components in win7 I loaded AmbiophonicDSP in Foobar [Preferences]/Components/VST plug-ins and then set [Preferences]/Playback/DSP Manager to make AmbiophonicDSP active.
That's it. Everything is working as advertised.
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Glad the plugin is working well for you.

Good suggestion about making the footprint larger. I'm working on an upgrade.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
rmiller

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

JackFrost says above:
Quote:
Two of my CD's, always my favorites, sounded as if the walls and ceiling floated away. Handel's Messiah and Bach Organ... Wow this stuff is cool. I've dived in... it is really an adventure. Not all recordings are so good but they are all new.

Howard & I really appreciate these comments, as they are the goal of the Ambiophonic DSP plugin. You've discovered "newness" - what your recordings [or composition mixes of electro-musicians] actually sound like, absent the fog of crosstalk of conventional stereo speakers. And of course not all recordings are made equally well, so now hearing them more accurately, you've discovered critical differences not heard before (the best have spatial sound, made with non-coincident stereo mics). Continue to enjoy your adventure!

PS - If you're into 5.1 surround (music or movies with truly spatial stereo in the two back channels), use a second close-spaced pair in back and process the SL & SR channels with a second incidence of AmbioDSP (no added cost). Set your player for "no center" so it mixes the dialogue channel into the front pair that are already front-and-center. Your seating position relative to the speaker pairs now must be approximately equidistant front-to-back (accommodating a second or third viewer in a column?), as well as exactly centered left-to-right. Your DVDs will be new too!, with the most realistic envelopment you've heard from 5.1.

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

rmiller wrote:

PS - If you're into 5.1 surround (music or movies with truly spatial stereo in the two back channels), use a second close-spaced pair in back and process the SL & SR channels with a second incidence of AmbioDSP (no added cost). .

Robin, I think you should start a new topic about this. Sounds like it would be interesting to many others.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Jackfrost

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

5.1 is a goal of mine. Routing the sound in Win7 still remains a puzzle. Right now I am listening to Stillstream through AmbioDSP-foobar on my wireless USB sound device and I have Concertzender.nl on my headphones via onboard sound using their flash player. Everything I have read says you CAN'T do this in Win7. These are things I need to understand.

What I would like to do is use multiple USB wireless transmitting devices. I have several RCA Lyra devices I picked up on Ebay. I have had no luck with running more than one transmitter though.

Multiple RCA Lyra receivers are easy. Somewhere I read that dropping an instance of the front channels by 6db and running it in the rear gives a pleasant sound. I shall try that first. Nice stereo (no surround) amplifiers can be found for little expense.

Anyway it's fun and thanks for the suggestions. I hope to get there before long.

Thanks again,

Jim

Edit: I managed to get two USB devices playing different things at the same time (my two Lyra). I'm not sure how though. Smile It's getting interesting.
rmiller

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Per Howard's suggestion, the new 5.1 topic is '"PanAmbio" for 5.1 Surround Sound' at http://electro-music.com/forum/post-350867.html#350867 .

JackFrost, we have experience with wired multi-channel soundcards (preferring professional-grade RME), so these comments are only preliminary research re your USB-wireless approach - desirable for its convenience if the hit to quality is tolerable - see review at http://reviews.cnet.com/home-entertainment/rca-rd900w/4505-6449_7-20904842.html#reviewPage1 . For those oscilloscope-and-soldering-iron-types, a S/PDIF optical out mod to bypass the low-end D-A (along with Vista/Win7 driver) is at http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1282951 . Up to four RCA RD900W digital transmitter/receiver pairs using selected frequencies in the 900MHz band might feed up to 8 speakers if there are no radio issues (and you provide four USB ports). I'm hoping ASIO-4-all could route the multi-channel signals inside your PC.

Duplicating the Ambiophonic DSP plug-in's processed 2-channel output in a back pair of close-spaced speakers (separated the same 16deg with respect to the listener as the front pair is ideal) but attenuated 6~10dB works as follows: When the brain perceives identical signals front and back, it figures the sound must be from the side, effectively widening Ambio's already wide imaging - some report up to 150deg from about 120 normally. This indeed turns stereo "inside-out" from speakers nearly together in the middle! A further effect is to place speakers at +/-90deg at the sides and feed with non-center signals e.g. from Dolby Pro Logic L & R decoding (no Ambio processing), again if you can tolerate the hit to quality of the steering pumping inherent with DolbyPL, and comb-filter harshness that occurs anytime your ear is in range of identical acoustic signals and you are slightly off-center, delaying one.

Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » How-tos » Ambiophonic Sound Reproduction
Jump to: