electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
4070 and 4089 experiments; Now with 100% more rhythm!
Page 1 of 1 [18 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
JingleJoe

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:28 am    Post subject: 4070 and 4089 experiments; Now with 100% more rhythm!
Subject description: ye olde fake ringemodd and ye crappe frequencey devisione
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A very simple circuit can make alot of noise, one might say almost too much noise. Schematics are included in attachment, keep watching this thread as there will be updates!

XOR experiments.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  14.21 KB
 Viewed:  27608 Time(s)

XOR experiments.png

Green Dungeon Alchemist Laboratories

Last edited by JingleJoe on Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:04 am; edited 1 time in total
JingleJoe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just made a fun little circuit which I am really excited about so I had to share it with you chaps Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Schematics are attached and a crappy video of it is below too. Everything is a bit messy though because I was rushing to post this idea (because I am excited Embarassed ) It opens up loads of oportunities for rhythm making!
I'm allways trying to make my circuits with as few chips as possible and with the use of the STROBE input (oh yeah we're raving now!) on the 4089 you can activate/de-activate your crazy lunetta noises and generate a rhythm and with just one chip! Very Happy

I believe the CASCADE input just affects the inverted output so you could have the chip alternate between two sounds, in the rhythm selected, by inputting one signal to the STROBE and the other to CASCADE. Alternatively you could rhythm-ify one signal and get a stream of pure, unadulterated pulses out on the regular output. This is an untested idea though.

4070_4089_experiments.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  860.55 KB
 Viewed:  562 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

4070_4089_experiments.png

dougseidel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i love it. That might be how God invented electric ducks. would love to hear some eventual duets between this and your other instrument....
JingleJoe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Electric ducks!? That made me lol Laughing
Thanks!
I will play a lunetta symphony one day, I acctually have an audition this weekend to play lunetta/circuit bent instruments for a theater company Shocked I don't know if they know what they're in for ... probably less musical and more noisey than they are expecting Rolling Eyes

I'll throw together some fun little noise tune one day soon Smile

inlifeindeath

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

this is way cool! i appreciate your contributions to this board over the past few months. I've been wanting to mess around with the 4089 but couldn't wrap my head around it. Keep it up!
JingleJoe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Smile
inlifeindeath wrote:
I've been wanting to mess around with the 4089 but couldn't wrap my head around it. Keep it up!

That was exactly my problem too, I got some help from more experienced electronic engineers but only in interpreting the data sheet which I spent hours reading at night.

Idea Did some small experiments this morning with the cascade input; It OR's whatever is going into the cascade with the inverting output of the 4089, having no effect on the non-inverted output. Strobe affects both outputs, so you can get pulses of the strobe input OR'ed with the cascade, but only on the inverted output.

I want to put something together to control the binary inputs ... I know, a 4040 connected to the 4070 would do interesting things Very Happy Look at me still talking when there's science to do!

RingMad

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The "dangers" of reading this forum is that one can have a collection of CMOS chips (I have 28 different types), and then someone posts something interesting involving one I don't have!
Cool stuff with that 4089!
JingleJoe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

RingMad wrote:
then someone posts something interesting involving one I don't have!

Thanks Smile I acctually had trouble finding the 4089 with regular suppliers Confused Maplin and my usual online supplier (spiratronics) didn't have it, instead I got mine from this really old electronics shop where everything is covered in dust and the old chap who runs it often has valve based equipment out on the counter Very Happy The chips I get from him look like they are from Soviet Russia Surprised but he has every 4000 series cmos chip Shocked

JingleJoe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This makes a changing rhythm utilizing the 4040 to divide the clock signal going into the 4089, which then controls the binary inputs of the 4089... I think a little doodle would explain it better, see attachment.

P.S. Anyone know how to stop a baby crying with lunetta synthesizers? My baby brother is being very loud today Sad

4089 and 4040 GDAL.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  2.96 KB
 Viewed:  27043 Time(s)

4089 and 4040 GDAL.png

garcho

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
The "dangers" of reading this forum is that one can have a collection of CMOS chips (I have 28 different types), and then someone posts something interesting involving one I don't have!

Reading my mind...

Quote:
P.S. Anyone know how to stop a baby crying with lunetta synthesizers? My baby brother is being very loud today

Give him a breadboard, jumpers, and some 40xx chips; he'll shut right up (until he turns his Lunetta on).

JingleJoe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Fortunately he is okay now Smile also far too young to understand that 4000 cmos chips are not food Laughing
Things are coming along well with this circuit, with more than two XOR gates everything just seems to turn to noise so I am only going to use two in what I'm making. However if you want noise for a hi-hat or drum sound include more 4070's. Also by combining the outputs of previous gates with the next ones one can minimize required oscillators.

In this itteration of this device I have connected the 4040 and binary inputs of the 4089 to a "patch bay" made of nuts and bolts and wires.

An interesting and important thing to understand about this setup is that the 4089's sequence is 16 beats long, 16 clock cycles, so the divide by 32 output of the 4040 is the only one which will allow a whole sequence of beats (as it changes every 16 pulses from either high or low to the opposite) otherwise you get a very random rhythm because the control inputs change before the chip can get through one sequence.

JingleJoe

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I recorded a video of this device in action (there are many blinken lights) however it was too long for youtube- I got carried away because it's alot of fun Very Happy
So here is a sound sample instead Smile

I want to record another one where you can hear the rhythm chaning better, you can hear it in this one but I was focusing more on making some nice weird noises Smile

4089 drum thingyo.mp3
 Description:
This device has no name ... yet, so feel free to make suggestions ;)

Download
 Filename:  4089 drum thingyo.mp3
 Filesize:  17.86 MB
 Downloaded:  1279 Time(s)

JingleJoe

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I need to learn to make these shorter, the first one is about 10 minutes long Shocked
You can skip through to find the good bits if you don't want to hear the changing rhythm.
Oh yes, that was the intention of this recording; to demonstrate the changing rhythm over time, all controlled by the circuit, you just plug in a few things to the binary inputs of the 4089 and off it goes!
In that recording I only change the patch cords to the binary inputs about four times, oscillator and speed controls are adjusted too.

Second one is just some nice sounds Smile

4089 sequence.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  4089 sequence.mp3
 Filesize:  10.58 MB
 Downloaded:  1424 Time(s)

4089 sound.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  4089 sound.mp3
 Filesize:  2.02 MB
 Downloaded:  1353 Time(s)

transponderfish

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

JingleJoe wrote:

P.S. Anyone know how to stop a baby crying with lunetta synthesizers? My baby brother is being very loud today Sad

Hello everybody, have been reading here for a long time now and finally registered.
I think it is always a good idea to contribute something silly or slightly off-topic as first post in a new forum, so here's my advice on pacifying babies Smile

They like any sounds that resemble the soundscape in the womb: the rushing of the blood and the beating of the heart. You can see videos on YouTube, the baby stops crying when it is next to a hairdryer, a running watertap, a dishwasher.
Of course it would be extremely environmental-unfriendly to start these machines for this sole purpose, so you might try a white-noise generator. I had good results on my daughter with House/Techno/Electronic that was not too "complicated" or "aggressive": Felix Da Housecat or Mouse on Mars worked well, Drum & Bass was not so good.
At least these CDs pacified ME running circles in the living room late at night hugging her back to sleep.
Anyway, I love this forum and I promise I will seach the right sub-forum when I soon need advice on how to calm down a raving teen, harharhar...
JingleJoe

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

transponderfish wrote:
JingleJoe wrote:

Hello everybody, have been reading here for a long time now and finally registered.
I think it is always a good idea to contribute something silly or slightly off-topic as first post in a new forum, so here's my advice on pacifying babies Smile

They like any sounds that resemble the soundscape in the womb: the rushing of the blood and the beating of the heart. You can see videos on YouTube, the baby stops crying when it is next to a hairdryer, a running watertap, a dishwasher.

You genius!
Thats utterly brilliant, best first post ever! Thankyou, my next synthesizer idea is now "The Pacifier" a noise based synth Very Happy Thanks again Very HappyVery HappyVery Happy

RingMad

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK, finally I finished my "Triowaverator" (non-Lunetta) box and can get back to CMOS... I managed to get hold of a 4089 and tried a few things. I got some vaguely similar stuff as you JingleJoe, but not quite, since I was using a regular square wave as a clock, not an XOR or anything. Not quite as "ducky".

The following snippet is not all that interesting, it's a bit like musical Morse code perhaps, but I figured I had to post something before switching gears and attacking my 4046 "laser" problems again.

In it, a 4006-4077 pseudo-random 4-bit generator feeds the A,B,C,D inputs of the 4089, which has 2 different oscillators feeding its clock and strobe* inputs. [* I think... might instead be either the inhibit or the clear pin.] About halfway through, I speed up the clock. The output went through a simple triangle waveshaper.

Let's see if I can figure out how to embed a sound again...

CMOSnippet 023: Triscrompant by JamesSchid
JingleJoe

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh mine does have just a usual square wave feeding the clock input, atleast in my final design it does.
The strobe input is acctually one input of an AND gate, the other input coming from the uneven frequency divider of the 4089. Thus the signal at the strobe input is activated/deactivated by the divided clock signal.
I hope thats clarified now Wink
I notice your clock is in the audio range, mine is far below that and when in the audio range things just get quite discombobulated, which is also good Smile
Try your circuit with a very low frequency clock, for great justice!

JingleJoe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This device is now for sale!
Behold the 8159R!

Ebay link:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150778158205

You may be interested to know the name is derived from 4089 + 4070 and R for Rhythm Wink There was a 4040 in there too but it would work without that and sound very similar, and some oscillators on a 4093 but they could have been 555's or anything Laughing

Page 1 of 1 [18 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: